Need Advice!

subshazz

Dec 6, 2010
Hi,

I need some advice from you guys and gals. Somehow, recently my photos (from d7000) are constantly marked by a semi transparent darker shade semi circle path right at the middle bottom part of the photos when I took them with my flash and my lens hood (hb-32). Other photos taken are alright if either taken using the flash with no lens hood or using the lens hood with no flash. I reckon that the flash might be obstructed by the lens hood but its a nikon lens hood and it seems nobody have the same problem. Can somebody advise... Thanks. Anyway this is my first post.

It doesn't matter if the lens hood is made by Nikon or not, if its blocking the light, then its blocking the light. Nikon doesn't state their lens hoods will not get in the way of the light and its impossible for them to do so.

Hi,

I need some advice from you guys and gals. Somehow, recently my photos (from d7000) are constantly marked by a semi transparent darker shade semi circle path right at the middle bottom part of the photos when I took them with my flash and my lens hood (hb-32). Other photos taken are alright if either taken using the flash with no lens hood or using the lens hood with no flash. I reckon that the flash might be obstructed by the lens hood but its a nikon lens hood and it seems nobody have the same problem. Can somebody advise... Thanks. Anyway this is my first post.

Bro, this is normal if use long &/or wide lens (e.g. 16-85, 18-200mm etc) with/without hood using on cam flash. Thats the shadow of the lens or hood. The angle of coverage of the on cam flash is limited. Either remove hood, change focal length &/or get an external flash.

Last edited:
Bro, this is normal if use long &/or wide lens (e.g. 16-85, 18-200mm etc) with/without hood using on cam flash. Thats the shadow of the lens or hood. The angle of coverage of the on cam flash is limited. Either remove hood, change focal length &/or get an external flash.

Correct !

As with an external flash you could bounce the light to the ceiling if the ceiling is white and low. With the hood attached and use flash with bounce technique, you won't see that shadow anymore.

ok then....thanks for your advice. Will be contemplating to buy an external flash then. Any suggestion on a good-yet-won't-burn-a-hole-in-your-pocket flash.

Sometimes even without a hood, a lens long enough will still block the external flash's output when you take subjects close enough.

Hi bro, a decent flash unit for your usage would be the SB 600. It has served me well with it's swivel function, and being a nikon speedlight, you have nothing to worry about compatibility issues. It sets you back about 250/260 2nd hand and about 360 first hand with warranty. Anything more and you're ripped off.

HTH :)

I only use the pop up flash in a pinch... or to trigger other flashes... get a real flash please.

ok then....thanks for your advice. Will be contemplating to buy an external flash then. Any suggestion on a good-yet-won't-burn-a-hole-in-your-pocket flash.
you already spend money bought a very decent camera, just get a Nikon flash to max out the full potential of your camera.

Hi bro, a decent flash unit for your usage would be the SB 600. It has served me well with it's swivel function, and being a nikon speedlight, you have nothing to worry about compatibility issues. It sets you back about 250/260 2nd hand and about 360 first hand with warranty. Anything more and you're ripped off.

HTH :)

The upcoming SB700 will be a good option too... :D

yeah, an external flash system will solve the problem for you... doesnt matter if the hood is 3rd party or original... your built in flash will not be "tall" enough...