Need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

bluebedsheet

Feb 12, 2007
Hi pple, I'm shooting a plus size model wearing traditional malay clothes which may/ may not accentuate her figure. Any tips/ techniques to make the model look slimmer in terms of poses, colour of clothes, background, angles and choice of backdrop colour. It's a studio shoot.
All advice given are very much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

thanks bro, shall look into dat.

angle of shots very impt, to shoot "thin" u would be quite tempted to shoot her sideways.
the color of her baju and backdrop also will play a part. too much of a diff, and the figure will be noticed immediately. try to go for matching colors. also, dun shoot the model frontal, go for action poses.

the camera/lens does not lie. brutal, i am afraid.

dark color clothes on dark background,
face turn 3 quarter, half body shot
use narrow lighting set up, shoot in low key
means the ear nearer to camera is in shadow

if it is outdoor, use some objects as foreground, block part of her body, and only use side lighting, no frontal lighting.

Quite some good advice here. Some other suggestions you might consider: standing poses will generally look slimmer then sitting poses. Also, can use large size props holding in the arm to hide the body (especially the waist). Long hairs covering the side of the face/ears is better then short or tied up hairs. Use the usual posing technique: chest out, tummy tug in, and hold the breath.

if it is outdoor, use some objects as foreground, block part of her body, and only use side lighting, no frontal lighting.

dis is extremely useful, thanks bro

Quite some good advice here. Some other suggestions you might consider: standing poses will generally look slimmer then sitting poses. Also, can use large size props holding in the arm to hide the body (especially the waist). Long hairs covering the side of the face/ears is better then short or tied up hairs. Use the usual posing technique: chest out, tummy tug in, and hold the breath.

i'm afraid of using props would steal the attention of the pic away from the subject. How to help dat? find prop same colour as the baju kurung??

Prop that has same colour as baju kurung is one possibility, but I doubt it would work well. Maybe some props related to Malay cultures that would complement the dressing? A well thought out and properly selected prop will not steal attention from the subject, but would rather play a support role to make the picture more interesting.

I need that to remember too...

Thanks!

Regards,
Arto.

Prop that has same colour as baju kurung is one possibility, but I doubt it would work well. Maybe some props related to Malay cultures that would complement the dressing? A well thought out and properly selected prop will not steal attention from the subject, but would rather play a support role to make the picture more interesting.

will work on that. Thanks.

use wide angle lens and go up close...very close. o.k not toooo close..get bride's lower body to face half left or half right with the top body facing the camera.. Get props to hide the body..

use wide angle lens and go up close...very close. o.k not toooo close..get bride's lower body to face half left or half right with the top body facing the camera.. Get props to hide the body..

How wide do you think? A 12-24mm would make her bloated already. 17mm ?;)

Status
Not open for further replies.