need advice : which mirrorless camera shld i get? aps-c or m43?

heavenlymade

Jan 3, 2010
singapore
hi guys,
i have been reading through the forum for the last few days hoping to find an answer to my decision. But seriously still at a loss.
i own a nikon D90 with quite a few lens on hand - 50mm f1.8, 24-70mm f2.8, 85 mm f1.8 and a kit zoom len.
I am hoping to get a smaller camera so i can bring it along with me wherever i go for gathering etc. i usually take portraits, street photography, foods, flowers, and photos for my children and gatherings.
so i am hoping to get some advice in which camera is best for me without me spending a bomb again. I am gonna have a new born baby soon, so i hope i can bring this camera with me when the baby arrives.

EM1 is kinda out for me since it is pretty bulky like the DSLR i own.
i went to best denki and saw quite a few cameras which i cant make up my mind.
In my consideration are : EM5, EP5, lumix gx7, lumix Gm1 , sony A6000.
my budget is 2000, but i wish i can spend way lower than that. hoping just to get a camera and maybe one additional len will do .

Most of your listed options are M4/3 with one NEX exception.

I also have a second camera besides my K3 and I picked M4/3 - specifically EM-5. You can also consider the EM-10 as it is a newer camera though sensor is not that different. The NEX sensor is pretty decent. I'm not sure if the UI has been improved but the more advanced M4/3 options are probably closer to DSLR with greater external controls rather than having to dive into menus. This may have changed with the A6000, but I haven't tried it yet. More importantly though, I do prefer the M4/3 lens lineup compared to NEX, the performance and size is better. Do take note that you do lose out if you go M4/3 in terms of high ISO performance and DOF control, but I think it's not as big a difference as some make it out to be.

My suggestion is EM-5/EM-10 paired with Panasonic 20mm/f1.7 OR Olympus 25mm f/1.8 along with the Olympus 45mm f/1.8. If you get from second-hand market, EM-5 is about $700 (ballpark second hand market), and the lenses will set you back less than $1000, probably much less. Well within limits of your budget. You can always swap out one of the primes for a kit zoom, either 16-50 for compact size if you go NEX and the new Olympus EZ 14-42 if you go M4/3. No point getting any bulky lenses as you might as well use your D90 if you take those options. :)

In the end, everyone has their own preferences, so my suggestion is to go down and handle the cameras, try to shoot as you normally would. If you don't really change a lot of settings then UI really won't matter. Both line-ups are very decent honestly.

Another very decent option is Fuji X, but that's probably out of your budget. :)

Last edited:
MFT with 25/1.8 (50mm equiv) at $4xx the 12-40/2.8 later (24-80) if u miss this range will do
nicely for u.

If u wish to get back that 90mm portraits , the 45/1.8 will give u what u need at around $4xx.

If u must have a built in viewfinder , the EM10 is recommended if not the EP5. The EM5 though a great camera is getting a bit dated. EM10 uses the EM5 sensor with the EM1 processor and is superbly portable. EP5 has better specs than the EM5 too.

I won't recommend Nex , u never really know when will Sony just decide to abandon the Nex system anyway.

thanks guys.
so Ep5 or Em10 is highly recommended. just wondering why not GM1 and GX7? gonna go down to one of the shops to take another look. Dont want to bother the salesman with too many cameras, so i better quickly narrow down my options.
tried to go to one of the sony stores but they just show me a dummy set of A6000.

thanks guys.
so Ep5 or Em10 is highly recommended. just wondering why not GM1 and GX7? gonna go down to one of the shops to take another look. Dont want to bother the salesman with too many cameras, so i better quickly narrow down my options.
tried to go to one of the sony stores but they just show me a dummy set of A6000.

It's up to personal preference. :) GX7 is also good, though I think Panasonic doesn't have in-body stabilization. :)

thanks guys. so Ep5 or Em10 is highly recommended. just wondering why not GM1 and GX7? gonna go down to one of the shops to take another look. Dont want to bother the salesman with too many cameras, so i better quickly narrow down my options. tried to go to one of the sony stores but they just show me a dummy set of A6000.

The GM1 is also small but doesn't come with in camera IS & uses the GX7 sensor. It's a good choice so long as u are never going to mount larger lenses. Between the GX7 and EP5, it will go down to user preferences but note GX7's IS is 2 axis while EP5's is 5 axis. Each have their own strengths.

A6000... Not too expensive either to consider if u r a Sony person :)

Either EP5, EM10 or the GX7 will make a good camera. Probably you can go down to the shops to have a feel of these and see which one you best prefer.

As a Sony guy, I agree that you dont know when Sony will abandon the system. There is however a pretty decent APSC lenses line-up.

However, based on your needs, it seems that you want lightweight and you probably would want pretty quick AF for your upcoming baby. I reckon m43 would be what you need, even though the A6000 seems to have pretty decent AF. Do consider what the other guys have recommended for a potential m43 set-up.

If you are really into the 'die die must get bigger sensor' camp and yet want decent AF, the A6000 would likely be your best bet =)

In my opinion.

Initially, I got an Olympus E-PL5, the flipscreen was really a novelty, rare to have something that flips 270 degrees and isn't as bulky as it's Sony equivalent. Nevertheless, I felt it was somewhat lacking, and went for the Gx7. The images are really great and I've gone on to use it as my secondary camera for event shoots and shoots that require portability.

Hey man some things to think about when choosing between Panasonic and Olympus. It's the lenses ur gonna invest in.

All my lenses are Panasonic, and Iam using a gh2. Been trying to switch over to Olympus but the AF tends to do more hunting with Olympus on lenses like the 20 1.7 and 25 1.4. The 12-35 is fine, still as fast as when on a Panasonic body. Heard there might be a firmware update for this, but tried on the latest em10 to no avail.

But if ur starting from scratch I say go with the oly, fantastic build quality and iq. Gx7 or gm1 if you wanna go with Panasonic. :)

I'm a Fuji guy when it comes to streets and general photography. I'll pick the X-E1 haha. Granted its not so new but u can pick it up with the kit lens at a great price now. It meets all my needs.

The GM1 is also small but doesn't come with in camera IS & uses the GX7 sensor. It's a good choice so long as u are never going to mount larger lenses. Between the GX7 and EP5, it will go down to user preferences but note GX7's IS is 2 axis while EP5's is 5 axis. Each have their own strengths. A6000... Not too expensive either to consider if u r a Sony person :)

Most importantly, GX7 2-axis IS can only work on still photograph, not video. You can google for more information.

went down to one shop to take a look.. the guy refused to pass me a set with battery to try..
anyway, he was pushing EM5 to me. Was shown this EM5 elite which is having promotion now with the 12-40 mm f2.8 lens for $2198.
anyone knows the difference between EM5 old model and the "new" EM5 elite? is 2198 a good price for it?

i wanted to take a look at EM10 but he didnt take it down to show me either. only EP5 and EM5. i guess need to go another shop to see the rest.
also EP5, which package is better? the 17mm with vf4 or the 14-42mm kit len?
sorry to trouble u guys again.
will make the decision asap since im delivering my baby very soon .

went down to one shop to take a look.. the guy refused to pass me a set with battery to try..
anyway, he was pushing EM5 to me. Was shown this EM5 elite which is having promotion now with the 12-40 mm f2.8 lens for $2198.
anyone knows the difference between EM5 old model and the "new" EM5 elite? is 2198 a good price for it?

i wanted to take a look at EM10 but he didnt take it down to show me either. only EP5 and EM5. i guess need to go another shop to see the rest.

Go for the 17mm + vf4 combo!

VF4 is great unless you don't need or want an EVF. I'm not a fan of 35mm focal length so the lens doesn't matter to me. But since the launch of the EP5 it's always been said that the 17mm + VF4 combo is a great steal.

And if you've got the EP5...then get a better lens other than the 14-42...

I'm not sure if it's the 14-42mm kit lens or some camera settings I've yet to change, but my EPL6 has all noise processing turned off, but my pictures still turn out smudgy if I zoom into the picture...

went down to one shop to take a look.. the guy refused to pass me a set with battery to try.. anyway, he was pushing EM5 to me. Was shown this EM5 elite which is having promotion now with the 12-40 mm f2.8 lens for $2198. anyone knows the difference between EM5 old model and the "new" EM5 elite? is 2198 a good price for it? i wanted to take a look at EM10 but he didnt take it down to show me either. only EP5 and EM5. i guess need to go another shop to see the rest. also EP5, which package is better? the 17mm with vf4 or the 14-42mm kit len? sorry to trouble u guys again. will make the decision asap since im delivering my baby very soon .

Hey ... No.1, skip that dumb shop. U as the customer have the choice. Even Best Denki allows people to try any model in their display.

There is no significant difference between em5 and em5 elite other than a diff texture and redesigned dials. $2198 is a bit steep considering that the 12-40 lens is around $11xx and I can get a EM5 off BnS for prob $600.

For EP5 vs EM10, the EP5 is a higher end model with much better specs and with the 17/1.8 better than the 14-42EZ kit, the EP5 will be the slightly more expensive choice.

For 14-42 vs 17mm , it's clear , unless u absolutely need the zoom , get the 17mm. The 17mm is f1.8 , much much better than the performance the 14-42mm kit can give u. If u need a zoom lens, then u can consider the 12-40/2.8 at a later date.

Lastly , no hurry :)I'm sure there r people here who posted for suggestions and months later still asking haha.

Congrats first about the upcoming baby my friend.

Oh , almost forgot there's a current promo for Olympus. Don't miss out on that.

For EP5 either 17mm or 14-42kit , u will get a additional free BLN-1 batt and 40-150mm zoom.

The EM10 set will get u a free auto lens cap I think.

And there's a cash back promo for some lenses bought in this period which my advice is use this chance to hoot a 45/1.8 at $295 normally going for around $410. This is by far the most value for money portrait lens I've seen and ya, u will appreciate using it for the baby.

I'll prob get the EP5 14-42 kit and then buy the 17/1.8 and 45/1.8 and get :
1. A free BLN1 batt which costs $99
2. A free 40-150mm zoom around $200
3. A $300 cash back for both 17/1.8 and 45/1.8
And then sell the 40-150 and 14-42 for around 300 to recoup a bit of investment so it's around $1.5~ $1.6 k for EP5, VF4 , 17/1.8 and 45/1.8 at the end and remember this 2 lenses will cost u already close to $1k originally.

Congrats on your new baby. That shop is no good for not letting a customer try. EM5 is not a new model, so for pushing that model, you can even get one from the buy and sell forum for a much cheaper price. 17mm will allow you to take loads of fast and good picture of your baby. And the oly 45 mm for protraits of your baby.

Hi,

Sorry. Didn't want to create another thread cos I'm after more or less same thing for hobby.

I'll keep it short.

Looking at Oly. How much is the EM1?

Any recommended lens to come with it? Many thanks.

Rgds,

Ben

Hi, Sorry. Didn't want to create another thread cos I'm after more or less same thing for hobby. I'll keep it short. Looking at Oly. How much is the EM1? Any recommended lens to come with it? Many thanks. Rgds, Ben

And a short but good answer u will get ;) RRP $2988, street price's at $27xx when I asked at Lumens by Alan photo yesterday. Will be even slightly cheaper if u go Funan and ask at SLRR , T K etc.

Recommended lens : there's no better zoom in MFT than the kit 12-40/2.8. Will u be looking at primes or other specific uses?