need advice : which mirrorless camera shld i get? aps-c or m43?

thanks guys. look forward to take some shots of my baby n show u guys soon =)

Hi,

Sorry. Didn't want to create another thread cos I'm after more or less same thing for hobby.

I'll keep it short.

Looking at Oly. How much is the EM1?

Any recommended lens to come with it? Many thanks.

Rgds,

Ben

oh no problem =)

anyway, i have decided to go with EP5.
finally get my hand on the EP5 yesterday night with the vf4 with 17mm. after playing it for a while , i really love it.
really thanks the court sale man finally willing to take out a brand new ep5 to let me try. was there when i heard they selling the em5 at a big discount.. clarified it with my brother who works in another court, then realise it is just a gimmick. =(

ok back to EP5...
now headache is which package to get.. lol
shld i go with what keithwee recommended and buy 14-42mm package then buy the other two lenses then sell away the free one n kit len(kinda lazy to sell anything though lol) ?
OR.. buy 17mm package and extra 45mm len, then sell them away much later to buy the 12-40 2.8 ?
or just buy the body n 12-40 len which is much more costly i bet?

Last edited:
back to EP5... now headache is which package to get.. lol shld i go with what keithwee recommended and buy 14-42mm package then buy the other two lenses then sell away the free one n kit len(kinda lazy to sell anything though lol) ? OR.. buy 17mm package and extra 45mm len, then sell them away much later to buy the 12-40 2.8 ? or just buy the body n 12-40 len which is much more costly i bet?

Glad u made a decision on the body ;) If it's baby shots u r after and u want a simple decision ...

Get the EP5 14-42kit + 45/1.8 for now ,especially with the promo for 45/1.8 it's even cheaper than 2nd hand prices. U will end up with an extra batt and a 40-150mm also, giving u a good FL range at one go. Below $1500 total for 1 top tier body + 2 zooms covering 14-150mm and 1 good portrait lens.

If later u need a better zoom then get the 12-40/2.8.

If later u need an even portrait prime then get the 75/1.8 or the 42.5/1.2 (ok I'm being evil here)

Buy what u need and honestly there's no rush to buy everything at one go. Still have to pay for diapers and milk powder hor haha

Last edited:
thanks guys.
so Ep5 or Em10 is highly recommended. just wondering why not GM1 and GX7? gonna go down to one of the shops to take another look. Dont want to bother the salesman with too many cameras, so i better quickly narrow down my options.
tried to go to one of the sony stores but they just show me a dummy set of A6000.

There are 'live' display sets of the a6000 now. If u haven't bought the ep5, do go check out the a6000 and see if it will change your mind...

hi guys, i finally gotten my ep5. very excited. i got a very nice deal from SLRR. gotten all 4 lenses for less than 1.8k. now really wonder if i shld buy the vf4. i found myself putting the camera near my eyes so many times.. i guess i am too used to my dslr.
what do u guys feel? shld i get the vf4?

and also.. i realise the camera make a humming sound when i press the shutter? is it normal? i dun experience that on the first day of playing with it, but maybe i touched something n the noise came out?

hi guys, i finally gotten my ep5. very excited. i got a very nice deal from SLRR. gotten all 4 lenses for less than 1.8k. now really wonder if i shld buy the vf4. i found myself putting the camera near my eyes so many times.. i guess i am too used to my dslr.
what do u guys feel? shld i get the vf4?

and also.. i realise the camera make a humming sound when i press the shutter? is it normal? i dun experience that on the first day of playing with it, but maybe i touched something n the noise came out?

VF4 is a good investment. It really help. btw... no need to get first hand VF4, you can go to the BnS and see if one was up for sale. It is a lot cheaper that way.

Although it is not the EPL5, but it might applies,

http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/qa/products/ep5/

It seemed that the humming noise is not too much of a concern. It is the working of your image stabilizer.

Last edited:
hi guys, i finally gotten my ep5. very excited. i got a very nice deal from SLRR. gotten all 4 lenses for less than 1.8k. now really wonder if i shld buy the vf4. i found myself putting the camera near my eyes so many times.. i guess i am too used to my dslr. what do u guys feel? shld i get the vf4? and also.. i realise the camera make a humming sound when i press the shutter? is it normal? i dun experience that on the first day of playing with it, but maybe i touched something n the noise came out?

Congrats and welcome to MFT :) The VF4 is a great VF , sharp with almost zero lag (u generally can't feel the lag) almost zero as it just can't be zero.

Yup , rhino123 is right , u can get one with warranty for $2xx on BnS.

The humming sound is the sound of the superb 5 axis IS working , nothing to worry about.

U've the 14-42, 45-150, 17/1.8 and 45/1.8. More than enough to cover most needs :)

Last edited:
And a short but good answer u will get ;) RRP $2988, street price's at $27xx when I asked at Lumens by Alan photo yesterday. Will be even slightly cheaper if u go Funan and ask at SLRR , T K etc. Recommended lens : there's no better zoom in MFT than the kit 12-40/2.8. Will u be looking at primes or other specific uses?

Hi thanks. Am thinking of the 75mm 1.8 as well.
Do you know if places like Cathay, Alan photo, SLRR charge for the use credit card?

I'm heading to Singapore probably next week. Many thanks.

Rgds

Most of the lower prices quoted are for cash payment only. They usually pass on the credit card fees to you so you may want to do your calculations in terms of deciding between changing money into SGD cash or using credit cards. I would suspect credit cards are not such a great deal since you would have to consciously pay for credit card fees and poorer forex rates when the bank translates SGD into MYR(?)

Hi thanks. Am thinking of the 75mm 1.8 as well. Do you know if places like Cathay, Alan photo, SLRR charge for the use credit card? I'm heading to Singapore probably next week. Many thanks. Rgds

For the 75/1.8 , the general best price is around $1194. If u spend the time getting chummy with the boss and r lucky u may get slightly better prices.

Most shops will charge u a 2% or 3% premium if u use credit cards even though it's illegal to do so. Best choice will be to change to local currency first and pay in cash to so u only lose out in currency change fees and not also credit card bank charges and lousy bank exchange rates :)

For the 75/1.8 , the general best price is around $1194. If u spend the time getting chummy with the boss and r lucky u may get slightly better prices. Most shops will charge u a 2% or 3% premium if u use credit cards even though it's illegal to do so. Best choice will be to change to local currency first and pay in cash to so u only lose out in currency change fees and not also credit card bank charges and lousy bank exchange rates :)

Hi thank you for the info.

Been trying to find out more about Olympus. Have 2 questions (for now haha).

I had a look at the lens roadmap but I don't understand what's the difference between m. Zuiko and zuiko digital lens.

And do I need to get the adapter? Forgot what it's called maybe MMF-3?

Many thanks.

Rgds

I had a look at the lens roadmap but I don't understand what's the difference between m. Zuiko and zuiko digital lens.

Many thanks.

Rgds

They are for different lens mounts. Zuiko lens for olympus four thirds DSLR mounts, m.zuiko for olympus/panasonic MICRO four thirds mount.

Many thanks.

Rgds

This is the website for 43rds (Olympus DSLR) and m43 (mirror less - Olympus Pen & OMD, Panasonic G, GF, GH series camera etc).

If you are using m43 lenses on m43 bodies, or if you are using 43rd lenses on 43rd bodies,you don't need adaptor. If you us 43rd lenses on m43 bodies, you will need adaptor like mmf1/2/3 or panasonic DMW-MA1.

Hi thank you for the info. Been trying to find out more about Olympus. Have 2 questions (for now haha). I had a look at the lens roadmap but I don't understand what's the difference between m. Zuiko and zuiko digital lens. And do I need to get the adapter? Forgot what it's called maybe MMF-3? Many thanks. Rgds

Thanks to the other bros for sharing the lens map :)

In short and simpler English , Olympus have 2 mounts , they originally started with the Four thirds system with Micro Four Thirds being the main focus now.

FT lenses are generally larger than their MFT counterparts and to use a FT lens on a MFT body ( all the current Olympus models ) u need a an adapter which comes in diff models from MMF1-3.

That is not to say the FTs mount is a goner as some of the lenses in FTs are still superb like the 14-35/2.0. Currently in MFT, the 'fastest' telephoto zoom is the 12-40/2.8 in comparison.

Pls read up on sigma 60mm f2.8. Very sharp lens. Only $240 brand new set. Includes pouch and hood. Then also consider a used 20mm f1.7 at around $300. Also can get a manual focus samyang fisheye, then defish it in software. All these recommendations are the most value for money trinity for me.

If anyone looking to spend even less, just get a used 14 f2.5 at around $180, and a new 60 f2.8 at $240. Plus a used e-pm2 body only at $300. Can shoot wide angle and tele at with good quality with stabiliser.

Last edited:
Made the jump. Em1+ 45mm1.8 ......but it's still sitting in the bag.....busy with work no time to play with new toy. Sigh.....

Would like to thank everyone for the help.

Rgds

Made the jump. Em1+ 45mm1.8 ......but it's still sitting in the bag.....busy with work no time to play with new toy. Sigh..... Would like to thank everyone for the help. Rgds

Welcome :) can always drop by the Microfourthirds forum to get to know the guys there.

Hi, just realized on the promo leaflet, says free 16 g + 3 months extended warranty and also workshop worth $215.

How do I claim the free workshop? I don't think I was given any "voucher". Thank you.

Rgds