Need advice to protect CF tripod

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heaven100

Mar 13, 2005
Hi friends

I just got a CF tripod and the top section seem to be too bear when it is kept.

Currently I'm considering if I should get a bag or should I find some sponge to go around it for protections.

Could anyone advice me how you go about protecting your CF tripod please. Thank you.

Get a bag for it during transportation.

Get a bag for it during transportation.

Hey pal, I got the GT1541T as you too. May I know which bag did you buy? From where and how much did you paid for?

Care to share info pls. Thank you.

Anyone could advise please?

what is the point of getting the T if you are going to bulk up by getting another bag

I just hang mine at the side of my camera bag

Hey pal, I got the GT1541T as you too. May I know which bag did you buy? From where and how much did you paid for?

Care to share info pls. Thank you.
Ooh. I am using the Think tank bazzoka. It's abit bulky but protects really well. But I am now intending to get the crumpler Karachi Outpost and there seems to be a chance I can stuff the tripod in, together with my full arsenal! Ha. I got mine for $800 at Tkphoto, shaw.

what is the point of getting the T if you are going to bulk up by getting another bag

I just hang mine at the side of my camera bag

I was thinking like you only after seeing the risk of getting the CF knock onto hard object if I will to expose it outside my bag. :bheart:

Ooh. I am using the Think tank bazzoka. It's abit bulky but protects really well. But I am now intending to get the crumpler Karachi Outpost and there seems to be a chance I can stuff the tripod in, together with my full arsenal! Ha. I got mine for $800 at Tkphoto, shaw.

I'm looking for some protection to my CF tripod when I walking around. Now I only have a heavy duty bag that could carry the tripod in it when I travel with my full arsenal...

$800 for bag? haha, i think he asking you the price of your bag not your tripod, bro!

btw i carry my tripod with my custom made bag made by my sis in law. :thumbsup:

i bought my cf tripod last year because it was light and i could carry it around.

then i got worried it would get damaged, so i wrapped it up in blankets and styrofoam and it's been in storage ever since.

but i love it, it's made me happier by just being there. :) :) :)

i bought my cf tripod last year because it was light and i could carry it around.

then i got worried it would get damaged, so i wrapped it up in blankets and styrofoam and it's been in storage ever since.

but i love it, it's made me happier by just being there. :) :) :)

What is the made and model of your CF?

Why need to wrap up for storage? I just slot mine at a quiet corner.

bro, what most of us are trying to say is,
since u bought a LIGHT tripod, bring it out and shoot!
dont get so worried abt it breaking... its okay to be concious of ur new precious baby, but dont let it get over ur head

$800 for bag? haha, i think he asking you the price of your bag not your tripod, bro!

btw i carry my tripod with my custom made bag made by my sis in law. :thumbsup:
I think the bag costs around $90. From Tk as well. The thing about Gitzos is that they are fully modular and can be disassembled to the smallest screw easily. Hence, you may replace a particular segment of a leg say it is badly damaged. I agree that the CF gets scratched quite easily to graphite powder. But it doesnt compromise its strength.

bro, what most of us are trying to say is,
since u bought a LIGHT tripod, bring it out and shoot!
dont get so worried abt it breaking... its okay to be concious of ur new precious baby, but dont let it get over ur head

Hehehe...:cry:

I didn't get the bag, but I do have a strap from gitzo though....
Not much of a protection. I am not afraid of the tripod kena knock. I'm more worried about the ballhead kena... Hahaha...

Hi there,

Just wondering why do you need such level of protection for the CF tripod. Do not be misled...on the name CF tripod. Its not 100$ carbon as in like the pencil lead carbon. Its fiber mesh or fabric that has been sandwiched and encapsulated in a resin like structure that should not "scratch" off into powder. If its the powder...then that is the powder of the resin material.

I guess, the CF tripod is designed to take some level of knocks and hits.....so its should be okay to have the top bare or even the whole thing bare during storage. Don't get too engrossed in keeping your items too free of "usage" marks just to make sure it looks "minty" for sale. Use it as per how photographers would and it should last you for awhile...not like people who just buy to keep.

rgds,
Sulhan

Last edited:
I have a Gitzo 1541T CF tripod too. Love how small and portable it is and the whole point of it being so light is to bring it out easily right? In fact, now my Manfrotto 055b stays home most of the time.

For me , I protect the legs using Wilson tennis racket grip. Comes in a pack of 3 rolls. Just right for a tripod :bsmilie: It's non-adhesive so it's easy to replace. Protects the CF legs from scratches. Just attach an optech tripod strap to your tripod and you're ready to go.

My ballhead remains unprotected. I used to put a plastic bag over the top of my previous setup, but that was more to prevent the greasy part of the ball head from picky up crap..
now my current ballhead no such problem. Just leave it exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.