Need advice to buy new camera in comming comex

khhome06

Oct 5, 2007
Hi all,

I'm intending to get myself a new camera on upcomming comex show for my holiday trip later this years; i've limited knowledge on camera and the price, but i love photography and like to pick it up. I l also went to megatex for a preview and to update myself.

initially, i'm looking at canon s90 because of its size and good review i read online; however, i notice in megatex some dslr are comparable, even cheaper in price to canon s90, namely sony alpha 290, and olympus e450.
What would you all recommend, get myself a s90 (or alike like samsung ex1) or entry level dslr? I dun mind, in fact prefer carrying a bigger camera, however, i have no intention of upgrading/ buy new lens. In term of handling, i try all three and a few other models, i find it acceptable with no prefer model.

If i dun purchase new lens and using it mainly for my holiday trips with the default len, its better to consider non-dslr, in term of quality will it be the same? In term of price, which is worth more. Experience and handling knowledge isn't important because whatever i get, i'll learn to use.

Thanks!

Last edited:
If only you would have tried a search... You would have found that every 3 months, whenever there is comex/sitex/it show/pc show, there are at least 10-20 threads asking "what camera to buy at this year's <insert show name>?".

In all cases: It is ALMOST NEVER worth it. You go there, fight the crowds, pay parking if you drive, only to get a small discount from RRP or a whole bunch of cheap, low-quality, useless "freebies". It is almost always better to buy from the recommended shop here, and there's no crowd, no high-pressure sales tactics, etc.

As for "which is better", the image quality differences between DSLR and Compacts are not just the lens. The sensor makes a huge difference. A sony A290 or 390 will definitely give better pictures than a compact point-and-shoot.

:bsmilie: Frankly, I wasn't too surprised when Rashkae came to your call! I don't blame him, it is true that whenever some tech show comes up, this kind of question would pop up.

In summary, skip the shows if you're planning to get a DSLR. Instead, since you're here - read up on the reviews, comments, hang around at the specific brands' discussion groups. It's a wealth of knowledge at CS. Maximise the search tool.

And welcome to CS.

i agree. i bought my camera in IT fair during march. after reading up more. found out its cheaper outside. the free gifts that i got. wasn't really useful. my free tripod is flimsy. perhaps the only free gift useful will be the extra battery.

hahaha, i'm sorry to contribute and being a part of the 10-20 threads of "What camera to buy..." thread.

Rashkae, i take your words "The sensor makes a huge difference. A sony A290 or 390 will definitely give better pictures than a compact point-and-shoot. "

A DSLR will definitely hv better Image Quality than a compact camera due to the sensor size difference (with the exception of sony nex compact cameras, since they use dslr sensors).

However do note that in order to use a dslr properly, u should at least learn some fundamentals of photograhy, like aperture, shutter speed, how they affect exposure, dof etc.

If u wanna skip all these and just wanna take photos, a compact will still be a better choice.

Or u can consider the sony nex instead, its the best of both worlds. Auto modes of a compact camera, sensor of a dslr. However its slighly more expensive than an entry level dslr though. Nex 3 with 18-55 kit lens is around $800+ i think

Last edited:
Remember... a DSLR will not guarantee you better images (as compared to the compact types) unless you are able to harness the it's power and true abilities. This is through the understanding of all the control features (Aperture, Exposure, Shutter speed primarily plus all other control intricacies). If you don't fully understand the DSLR's (and lenses) usage - it is probably as good as not having it at all.

A DSLR will definitely hv better Image Quality than a compact camera due to the sensor size difference (with the exception of sony nex compact cameras, since they use dslr sensors).

However do note that in order to use a dslr properly, u should at least learn some fundamentals of photograhy, like aperture, shutter speed, how they affect exposure, dof etc.

If u wanna skip all these and just wanna take photos, a compact will still be a better choice.

Or u can consider the sony nex instead, its the best of both worlds. Auto modes of a compact camera, sensor of a dslr. However its slighly more expensive than an entry level dslr though. Nex 3 with 18-55 kit lens is around $800+ i think

H android17, thanks! Sony nex3 is a little over my budget at $899, i'm looking at 6-700+, about the price range of canon s90. I wouldn't mind sending time to learn dslr. :)

H android17, thanks! Sony nex3 is a little over my budget at $899, i'm looking at 6-700+, about the price range of canon s90. I wouldn't mind sending time to learn dslr. :)

Btw, S95 has just been annouced... ;)

Remember... a DSLR will not guarantee you better images (as compared to the compact types) unless you are able to harness the it's power and true abilities. This is through the understanding of all the control features (Aperture, Exposure, Shutter speed primarily plus all other control intricacies). If you don't fully understand the DSLR's (and lenses) usage - it is probably as good as not having it at all.

Hi kriegsketten, thank! I do think knowledge and understanding isn't a problem cause i'm borrowing books on photography and with me right now is "photography for dummies". prehaps the only issuse i have is i not intention at all to buying more lens, so i'm sticking with the bundle 18-55 kit.

In fact, i'm enraged when reading "photography for dummies" cause my current sony DSC-TX1 doesn't allow me to playing around and try most of what the book teach, hahaha.

oh, yup, i do know about s95 as seen in canon us site and also panasonic lx5, i call ms before, told me release in mid sep.

Last edited:
Hi kriegsketten, thank! I do think knowledge and understanding isn't a problem cause i'm borrowing books on photography and with me right now is "photography for dummies". prehaps the only issuse i have is i not intention at all to buying more lens, so i'm sticking with the bundle 18-55 kit.

In fact, i'm enraged when reading "photography for dummies" cause my current sony DSC-TX1 doesn't allow me to playing around and try most of what the book teach, hahaha.

Well, glad to know that. However, you never mentioned that earlier so we have to assume that you may not be aware of the pitfalls of going into something that would require much patience and long term learning and practice just to understand the basics... ;)

taking holiday pictures with a DSLR and a P&S camera is an entirely difference experience
which do you prefer?

taking holiday pictures with a DSLR and a P&S camera is an entirely difference experience
which do you prefer?

Hi ortega, mind share your experience; i never travel with dslr before, but i do with my dsc-tx1, just slide into my pocket when not using, to me produce good image also, just that i really cant do much other than point and click. Size to me is okay, i dun mind carrying a dslr for my holiday

in your case as i read in post #1
i feel that an advance P&S camera will be better suited
don't let price be a deciding factor, just because it is cheaper so i will consider a dslr

1. you mentioned that you will not buy other accessories, so no lens changes
2. you also mentioned that you will use it to take holiday pictures, which means foreground and background is sharp

if you want the picture quality of a dslr (normally because of the bigger sensor) then look for a P&S that can match the IQ
P&S cameras used with the lowest ISO speeds can deliver stunning images as well. Just as long as yu know how to use it well.

you can go COmex and see see look look and molest the camera for free.. but don't buy there la..

Yup, good time to molest ALL the DSLRs UNDER one roof...:bsmilie: But keep your money in the wallet...

Also for travelling, usually you'll be hardpressed to not stay too long at a place for too long - hardly suitable for good composing with a DSLR (with tripods, filters and all). Unless you're into free-n-easy travel, which at times can be quite rushing too if you have many places planned for.

I'd go for the best in the middle (prosumer like the LX3/5, Canon's S90/S95). Both are best for lowlights, light-weight, probably DSLR quality pics (able to shoot in RAW). Won't cost as much as NX10 or Sony's NEX3-5 or Ricoh's GRD III....

Last edited:
yah got advise, my advise is don't buy from there

Hi all,

I'm intending to get myself a new camera on upcomming comex show for my holiday trip later this years; i've limited knowledge on camera and the price, but i love photography and like to pick it up. I l also went to megatex for a preview and to update myself.

initially, i'm looking at canon s90 because of its size and good review i read online; however, i notice in megatex some dslr are comparable, even cheaper in price to canon s90, namely sony alpha 290, and olympus e450.
What would you all recommend, get myself a s90 (or alike like samsung ex1) or entry level dslr? I dun mind, in fact prefer carrying a bigger camera, however, i have no intention of upgrading/ buy new lens. In term of handling, i try all three and a few other models, i find it acceptable with no prefer model.

If i dun purchase new lens and using it mainly for my holiday trips with the default len, its better to consider non-dslr, in term of quality will it be the same? In term of price, which is worth more. Experience and handling knowledge isn't important because whatever i get, i'll learn to use.

Thanks!

Do you have any friends/ children/ relatives that are in NTU or NUS now? there is a ongoing promo for sony dslr at Cathay Photo

A290---official retail price=$699, discounted price after displaying student pass=$499
A390---official retail price=$899, discounted price after displaying student pass=$699

Good bargain:bsmilie:

Do you have any friends/ children/ relatives that are in NTU or NUS now? there is a ongoing promo for sony dslr at Cathay Photo

A290---official retail price=$699, discounted price after displaying student pass=$499
A390---official retail price=$899, discounted price after displaying student pass=$699

Good bargain:bsmilie:

Hmmm... SMU student card can or not? :think: I better call them! :D

Hi

DON'T BUY FROM THESE SHOWS!!!!
(I know because I did and felt stupid after doing a search on this forum!)
The prices are not good and the freebies are not worth.
I am now holding on to some junk which I never use that came with the camera.
And the freebies are not freebies if you study the costings and prices offered in the shows.

Which comes to another point I wish the moderators would encourage...
USE THE SEARCH BUTTON
You can find almost anything to do with Photography by using SEARCH in this forum.
Even the prices of cameras at local shops and their reputations.