Need Advice - smudge in pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackpanther

Mar 10, 2007
Hi,
Need some advice, seems to have some smudge in the top left corner and lower left. Not too sure where they come from as I am quite new to this. Some tips on how to check if it is from camera or lens will be great. (Nikon D80 + 18-200VR lens)
DSC_0171.jpg

DSC_1376-1.jpg

Appreciate your help..

It looks like lens vignetting to me. That means darkening at the edge of the image. May be due to your lens hood or your filter.

Yea most probably is lens vignetting.Can be easily fixed in photoshop
Filter->Distort->Lens correction

I think you might be refering to the dust spots? The small greyish spots that are the bane of dSLR users. (Top left and lower left) Vignetting is all 4 corners in the 2nd pic. 1st pic not any discernable vignetting.

If you tone your monitor's contrast, you can just see the dust spots. Funny though, I checked your pic's EXIF and you've shot the 1st pic at f/8 and the second pic at f/5 and the dust spots are discernable. You might want to check your lens first for spots. If not then its sure dust on the sensor. Refer to your camera's manual on how to clean the sensor.

Many thanks
Yes it should be dust spots. I will check my lens and sensors first. Hopefully nothing serious.

Mount on a different lens to c if spots still present...
From there u'll know if lens or cam is the culprit...

I suspect could be fungus spots on sensor... :dunno:
I actually can see 3 more spots (on 2nd pic):-
1. abt 1 cm below the chinook
2. abt 1 1/2'' below the left-most Apache
3. abt 1" above the 2nd Apache fr the right

Yeah, I really think it is dust spot from your sensor.

Normally dust from lens is not obvious and do not show up on photos (since the dust would be out of focus on the picture) unless it is a very serious and big dust spot.

Dust on sensor is unavoidable on DSLR. First try to blow off the dust with your camera facing downward (using your rubber blower). If that does not work, than use the sensor dust cleaning solution. Do a search on this forum on how to clean the sensor.

Many thanks
Yes it should be dust spots. I will check my lens and sensors first. Hopefully nothing serious.

Hi
It's me again. Finally managed to borrow another set of lens from a friend. Took a few pictures and confirmed that the spots are from the camera and not the lens.

Looking at the sensor, don't see any dust. Blow off the sensor anyway and tested still the same.:cry:

Another noob question, does Nikon warranty cover servicing and cleaning the sensors? If not may have to DIY first.

Thanks and appreciate any comments...

Hi
It's me again. Finally managed to borrow another set of lens from a friend. Took a few pictures and confirmed that the spots are from the camera and not the lens.

Looking at the sensor, don't see any dust. Blow off the sensor anyway and tested still the same.:cry:

Another noob question, does Nikon warranty cover servicing and cleaning the sensors? If not may have to DIY first.

Thanks and appreciate any comments...

If under warranty, sensor cleaning should be free.

err.. OT alittle.. (frem the pix) seems to me optical quality from 18~200VR not much difference from kit lens. Can someone confirm this? :think:

Another OT.. to TS, wat were u doing in that part of Sepang? Trackday?:)

Status
Not open for further replies.