need advice on zoom lens

bobby94

Mar 4, 2012
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi new here, need advice on which zoom lens i should get
-Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM
-Tamron SP AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di VC USD - Canon Mount
the price of both lens is almost the same around $600+. which one is better?
or i should get a secondhand Canon 70-200 F4 Non IS? is the IS important?
sorry for asking alot question but im really confused what lens to get
thanks for the advice

Last edited:
You should ask this n the Canon section. This "newbies corner" is a more general section.

As for "which is better": Read reviews. Try them in a shop.

As for "is IS important?" Turn off IS on your current lens and see how many more blurry shots you get.

I think before you ask people to tell you what to get (which, honestly, is silly as it's YOUR money and therefore YOU should decide what lens is best for YOUR needs than asking people what they got for THEIR needs), you need to read up more and learn about such basic fundamental things as IS, etc. You obviously have a looooong way to go, and a lot of your questions can be answered with 3 simple words:

"Up to you"

You can read the reviews here...

Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS - Full Format Lab Test / Review

Tamron AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 SP Di VC USD (EOS) - Full Format Review / Test Report

Better or not, you have to make the comparison yourself.

As for IS, I find it very useful at long focal lengths like these. If I am in your shoes, I will go for the 70-200/4 IS or 70-200/2.8 IS (mk I or II).

hi thanks for the link n advice
i have read the review but i still cant decide for myself.
forgot to mention my budget around S$700
so the 70-200/4 IS or 70-200/2.8 IS (mk I or II) is really out for me :/
only can go for 2ndhand 70-200 f4 non is which is around $700

Sorry to say that none of us can decide for you as well. It is your money and your choice. If you cannot make the decision, no one can make it for you.

Maybe you ought to wait it out a little longer, and see if you can get a clearer idea of what you really need before jumping into a purchase.

Sorry to say that none of us can decide for you as well. It is your money and your choice. If you cannot make the decision, no one can make it for you.

Maybe you ought to wait it out a little longer, and see if you can get a clearer idea of what you really need before jumping into a purchase.

okay thank you for the advice

Do NOT spend money if you do not have the ability/knowledge to make your own choices. That's how people get conned in Sim Lim, how Aunties wire money to Nigeria, etc etc...

Do NOT spend money if you do not have the ability/knowledge to make your own choices. That's how people get conned in Sim Lim, how Aunties wire money to Nigeria, etc etc...

I agree with Rashkae here. When in doubt, Don't buy...

Supposedly the Tamron is a newer design and better lens compared to the Canon. I only have the Tamron version not the Canon so can't compare. However, do note that Tamron's VC behavior is different from Canon's.

If your hands very itchy for zoom lens, consider getting a 2nd hand 55-250.. Comes with IS and cost ~250+- 2nd hand.

SkyStrike said:
If your hands very itchy for zoom lens, consider getting a 2nd hand 55-250.. Comes with IS and cost ~250+- 2nd hand.

And can you guarantee and confirm that it will meet his needs and shooting style?

And can you guarantee and confirm that it will meet his needs and shooting style?

Definitely cannot confirm/guarantee. Which is why I said "If your(TS) hands very itchy". I get the feeling that it's the BBB syndrome... or he just needs something to cover the range...

once owned a 70-200 f4L and switched to 55-250...

All I can say is.. Image quality for 55-250 is not there ;)

Tried my friend's f4 non-IS on his camera. Pretty great when there's good light but it gets a little darker, you really wish that the IS is there.

vintage 70-210 f 3.5-4.5 USM best . hidden L

Ask yourself if you need the IS or VC over Image sharpness and quality. If so, then either of the lens you mentioned above will do the trick. If not, then go for 70-200 Non-IS f/4L. The lens is so light, you dont need an IS to begin with.

Use a cheap second hand monopod = IS affordable.

For your budget go for EF 70-200mm f/4.0 you will not regret. It is a very sharp lens even wide open at f/4. To explain what is the sharpness of the lens, some photo taken during 2010 YOG using 70-200mm f/4 hand held.

Currently I own both the IS and non IS version, the IS version produce sharper image due to the IS, but is not an issue always can increase the shutter speed.

For your budget go for EF 70-200mm f/4.0 you will not regret. It is a very sharp lens even wide open at f/4. To explain what is the sharpness of the lens, some photo taken during 2010 YOG using 70-200mm f/4 hand held.

Currently I own both the IS and non IS version, the IS version produce sharper image due to the IS, but is not an issue always can increase the shutter speed.

hi i have another question, i wonder the Non-IS the lens able to do sport photography? eg. soccer games or other sports event
will it came out blur?
thank you so much

hi i have another question, i wonder the Non-IS the lens able to do sport photography? eg. soccer games or other sports event
will it came out blur?
thank you so much

When doing sports photography, both IS and non-IS can do the job, so long as your shutter speed is faster than your subject's movement speed. If your shutter speed is slower than your subject's movement speed, then your photo may come out blur regardless IS or Non-IS