Need advice on which DSLR to get, Canon 500d or Nikkon d90

Status
Not open for further replies.

nuttyng

Oct 23, 2009
Bukit Panjang
Hi all, I've been playing with compact cams for quite a while and finally decides to move towards getting a DLSR but i can't decide which to get. Basically i'm considering between canon 500d and nikon d90.

Will use camera mainly for:
- Portrait shots
- Scenery
- Video

Need some advice, thanks.

there is no foolproof advise on Canon vs Nikon issues ;)
at the end of the day, you may consider the followings (which other experts may differ):
1) go to comparison website such as DPreviewto and read up more about the 2 bodies you are considering;
2) look at your bank account and consider whether do you have the budget to meet your demands... remember to set aside a considerable sum of money coz you will have to get some accessories to maintain your system;
3) go to a camera retail shop you are comfortable;
4) ask for both bodies, test and try the camera bodies and see which you are comfortable with; and
5) select one which you are comfortable at the expense of your budget...

PS: at the end of the day, do you wear Nike or Addidas? its the same theory of choosing Nikon or Canon, select wisely ;) happy shopping

the usual question....:think:

do a search and u find tons of it...

i'm a canon user, so I go for canon.. :cool:

but if i got more $$$, I go for nikon...;)

the question is why not d90 if you have the budget? d90 is more expensive because it has more features and more fast access controls for convenient shooting when in later stage of your life you decided to become serious in photography that every second counts

There one thing which still bugging me which is the fact that nikon d90 is a older model, out last year, do you think there might be a chance whereby they might come out with another better model in the near future, like perhaps a few months down the road?

There one thing which still bugging me which is the fact that nikon d90 is a older model, out last year, do you think there might be a chance whereby they might come out with another better model in the near future, like perhaps a few months down the road?

Photography comes to about 200 years now .. and still it is about capturing light on a light-sensitive media using a lens. No future camera model will change this fact, you can trust me on that.
Show me one feature of the D90 that you miss, show me one feature which you need to have improved for your current picture taking. It is the eternal race of the electronics market to come up with new features and stuffs. Decide for yourself whether you want to take pictures or hunt features of upcoming models. But while you are waiting for the next Nikon model it might happen that Canon releases the next one? Or Pentax? Sony? Olympus? What then?
Also, do consider your learning curve. Your first DSLR will keep you busy learning for the next 1..2 years at least. After this you might know exactly what you want and newer models are in the market as well.

Hi nuttyng, here's my take (an I have been shooting with Nikon equipment nearly 40 years).

First question you wanna ask yourself is whether you're just gonna buy one body with one kit lens and be happy with it. If yours is this, then it really doesn't matter if you choose the 500D or the D90. In this case, I might even go for the 500D since it's a later release (remember digital cameras, including DSLRs are being introduced almost as quickly as mobile phones and you'll never be able to catch up, unless you hobby is about owning the latest bodies and not about getting good pictures).

The camera body is only part of the 'equation'. The lenses are also important and this is where I offer perhaps the most important factor for you to consider...
If you are likely to over time, build up a system of lenses, accessories (some from old and some from new), it would make more sense to go the Nikon way. For instance, there are plenty of REALLY GOOD older Nikon lenses that produce TOP NOTCH images, that can still be used with the latest D90, D200, D300, D700, D3 and so on. Nikon has this policy of not 'wasting' the Pros collection of older but good optics. I shoot with a D3 and D700 now. Have used just about every earlier body, e.g. D200, D300, F-series during film days. My collection of older and newer lenses all can go onto these bodies, and D90 can also enjoy these. So if you're looking at building up a systems of lenses, accessories, etc. these may be available on the used market at alot lower prices than just also going to the latest.

Part of a good photo comes from a good lens, part from a good digital body, and part comes from the photographer himself (the composition, the technical skills, capturing the mood, etc).

My Nikons have been dropped in dessert sand in Dubai, shot in extreme winter conditions in Austria, shot events during heavy rain, etc. and they worked. I am not suggesting that you test your camera stuff the way I did, but I can confidently say Nikon equipment is much better built than most others.

Hope this helps.

Fred

though I support your comments (since I'm a Nikon user :) ), I think the same comments about durability could be said of at least the Canon pro bodies and L lenses.
threadstarter doesn't have a lens collection spanning decades, so his camera choices are more varied.

My opinion is that most hobbyists tend to only have the kit lens (18-55, 18-70, 18-105, etc).
Additional purchases (if any) are likely to be limited to:
a) budget telephoto zoom (eg. 55-200, 70-300)
b) fast prime (eg. 35/1.8, 50/1.8)
c) ultra-wide (eg. 11-16, 12-24)
d) faster standard zoom (eg. 17-50/2.8)
e) macro

in such a case, most of the major camera manufacturers and 3rd party lens makers have products that fill this requirement.

So ultimately it boils down to how much one likes a certain brand (for features, price, brand reputation, etc). As li0nheart07 said, whether one buys Nike or Adidas is purely down to personal choice.

nuttyng said:
Hi all, I've been playing with compact cams for quite a while and finally decides to move towards getting a DLSR but i can't decide which to get. Basically i'm considering between canon 500d and nikon d90.

Will use camera mainly for:
- Portrait shots
- Scenery
- Video

Need some advice, thanks.

Both these cameras are capable of satisfying your above-mentioned 3 requirements.
In fact, just about every DSLR with video function does as well.
Have you already made up your mind to limit your shortlist to these 2 models?

The usual questions...and...usual answers.

It's been asked many times before and answered many times too. If you like Nikon get a D90. If you like Canon get a 500D. There's no real difference in quality. The reason why some people stick with one brand is usually because they bought too many accessories from one brand and it's too expensive to be switching brands. It's not like changing handphones. If you think D90 is an old model, what does a new model have that you are waiting for? Video? Internet? PSP?

Get one first and be acquainted with it and when the skills improve, then upgrade accordingly.

hi, i'm a newbie in the DSLR world too. I just got my Nikon D90 last month. I have tried a handful of DSLR before I came to a conclusion to purchase a D90. In my opinion, both Canon and Nikon offer great cameras. My advice is to try all the models that are on your wishlist. No doubt features, specifications, etc are important factors to consider but one more thing which is quite essential in my opinion is whether you love the camera or not. Try it and feel it and you will know. You're going to spend a considerable amount of your time with the camera, so you must love it to take great pictures. :D Happy Sunday

if i could choose, i will get D90. grip better, pop-up flash can trigger wireless flashes, better high iso performance than 500D, better fps, bigger viewfinder.

but both cameras are not too far apart. just get the one u like :D

if i could choose, i will get D90. grip better, pop-up flash can trigger wireless flashes, better high iso performance than 500D, better fps, bigger viewfinder.

but both cameras are not too far apart. just get the one u like :D

Yeah i agree the cameras are not too far apart, and that the side by side comparison by digital reivew http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Canon-Rebel-T1i-EOS-500D-Compared-to-Nikon-D90.shtml shows that D90 is better in most aspect. However the price difference between the 2 cameras are quite great, the 500d with 18-55 kit sells for about 1.1k while the d90 with 18-105 kit comes at almost 1.7k. Is the extra features worth the extra 600 bucks?

Yeah i agree the cameras are not too far apart, and that the side by side comparison by digital reivew http://www.digitalreview.ca/content/Canon-Rebel-T1i-EOS-500D-Compared-to-Nikon-D90.shtml shows that D90 is better in most aspect. However the price difference between the 2 cameras are quite great, the 500d with 18-55 kit sells for about 1.1k while the d90 with 18-105 kit comes at almost 1.7k. Is the extra features worth the extra 600 bucks?

Buy a pentax k-x. 960 only with kit lens. :)

i was looking at the D90 as my first dslr too, a few months back.. found out i couldnt afford it, n i got the 500D.. i love the 500D and its perfect for me - ive got some great shots with it, n it definitely is a highly recommended body, especially for beginners i guess.. but if u can afford it,the nikon D90 has more features n u might as well get something like that once n for all.. just my opinion :)

Totally agree. The difference in 600 bucks could be spent on another lens.
Do note that the 500D is 15MP and needs relatively decent optics to bring out the details.
End of the day, you will likely keep the good lens when u upgrade and get another body. so spend more money on good lens then blow all away on the body. Just my 2 cents worth.

Wait for the new model then. :)

hi, i'm a newbie in the DSLR world too. I just got my Nikon D90 last month. I have tried a handful of DSLR before I came to a conclusion to purchase a D90. In my opinion, both Canon and Nikon offer great cameras. My advice is to try all the models that are on your wishlist. No doubt features, specifications, etc are important factors to consider but one more thing which is quite essential in my opinion is whether you love the camera or not. Try it and feel it and you will know. You're going to spend a considerable amount of your time with the camera, so you must love it to take great pictures. :D Happy Sunday

Agree. How you feel with the camera in your hands is more important than the specifications.

Status
Not open for further replies.