Need advice on whether to Buy DSLR from China?

vinong008

Mar 20, 2014
Jurong East
Hi guys, I've plan to start out in DSLR photography and also
decided to get D5300 w/kits as start.

The only thing is, is it advisable to buy from China? Where
the country have so many fake item in the market.

Thanks

Thanks

Your choice and call.......

Thanks

Personally, It sounds risky to me. I rather deal with someone or a shop locally in person.

Fake item is not what you will be afraid of, it's the possibility that you will never get your items. I do have more than a few inexpensive items that never reach me. If they are able to fake a camera, I think they can setup a Camera company already...

If budget is your main concern for buying online from places like China, I recommend that you look at the Buy and Sell section for 2nd hand camera. Or If you are willing to get grey sets, there are some shops and local websites that you can buy from.

But, do remember to exercise caution if the price is too good to be true (especially if dealing online).

Last edited:
Buy from Singapore with warranty if you want a 100% security with piece of mind... MS Color & Cathy Photo etc are shops with good reputation.

the country have so many fake item in the market

Thanks

I would avoid buying from China no matter how cheap is it unless you are very confident that you are able to determine a real one from a fake one.

I bought quite a number of accessories in Shenzhen when I am working there... and my colleague got a 70-200mm f2.8L IS from Shanghai when he was deployed there without much problem. But I do hear horror story about getting fake stuff... easily. So far, my purchases are quite alright, my friend's 70-200mm f2.8L is working excellently and he even manage to get CSC to do a service on the lens once (meaning, it was not fake afterall).

However, I would also advise that you get the price in Singapore first, then check to see if you can get anything cheaper... might not be the case. Also depending on where you are deployed in China... if you are at Shenzhen, you can easily popped down to Hongkong and get your camera there, safer too.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the advice. I'm currently station in Suzhou and wont be back till CNY. As I plan to start shooting, I also looking around here in china and with the pass online experience here, found that most of the item are not original and x (even branded).

Hahahaha.....! Guess I will have to wait till im back Sin. :)

Thanks guys for the advice. I'm currently station in Suzhou and wont be back till CNY. As I plan to start shooting, I also looking around here in china and with the pass online experience here, found that most of the item are not original and x (even branded).

Hahahaha.....! Guess I will have to wait till im back Sin. :)

It might be a different story if you are there physically and buying from a physical shop as you can examine the product yourself...

But I'm really not sure how fake a camera can go (as in, can duplicate until like real, but sensor maybe from old sensor etc.).

It might be a different story if you are there physically and buying from a physical shop as you can examine the product yourself...

But I'm really not sure how fake a camera can go (as in, can duplicate until like real, but sensor maybe from old sensor etc.).

I'm sure you can find photography enthusiast group or forums where you are..they be able to recommend shops.

I anyhow google already found few..

Suzhou Photography Club
If you like to express yourself through the lens of a camera this club is for you. The club organises bi-monthly excursions to photogenic sites and the members share costs. You can register on the website at http://www.szphoto.com/bbs/ or just e-mail admin@szphoto.com.

http://suzhoupengyou.com/group/suzhou-photographers

https://www.flickr.com/groups/suzhou/discuss/72157622589923947/

Last edited:
If you are physically in China, buying there is no problem. Just take note that warranty for camera body is local only. If you want to use it in China then no problem. But suggestion is to go into hk if you are in transit and get it. Should be slightly cheaper there. As you mentioned you are in suzhou. Might make sense to buy it in shanghai. Go to starlight camera mall (xing guang) at xietulu and lubanlu. Pm me in advance if you wany me to intro some shops to you. I know many shops there as I have a lot of suppliers there. I might be driving up to shanghai next one or two weekends. If you are there yourself, remember to buy from level 2 onwards. Level 1 shops are more ex due to expensive rental.

If getting lenses where warranty is international, remember to ask for official tax reciept in China (fa piao) if you want the warranty to be valid in SG. You might be asked to pay extra for the tax invoice (around 4-4.5%). If buying in hk, a normal reciept will do.

Btw, in my many years of buying in China, I have never come across fake cameras nor lenses...

Last edited:
May be not to the extent of fake cameras or lenses but reselling refurbished or second hand items as brand new?

May be not to the extent of fake cameras or lenses but reselling refurbished or second hand items as brand new?

There are always bad seller anywhere, there are also good and reputable shops in China, just like what we are seeing in our own Sim Lim Square. I would advise, just be very careful of what you buy. As in, when they hand you a box with your item in it, do check to see if that item is what you have bought. There is story of external flash that are actually fake and not the real one, (read it somewhere in this forum), so do be aware when you buy all these 'smaller' accessories.

Anyway, I have bought quite a number of accessories from shops in Shenzhen (HuaQiang Bei), didn't have any problem and one of my colleagues bought a 70-200mm f2.8L IS from Shanghai (not sure where though - might be the same place as stated by Daredevil) and no problem either. The thing is... no matter where in China, ask for receipts (fa piao).

Last I heard, Nikons from Shanghai come with default language set to Chinese, you have to send it to Nikon China to change it to English~

and the mall DD123 recommended has many reliable stores. Been there myself too to buy a Nikon lens hehe~

Last I heard, Nikons from Shanghai come with default language set to Chinese, you have to send it to Nikon China to change it to English~

and the mall DD123 recommended has many reliable stores. Been there myself too to buy a Nikon lens hehe~

For Nikon cameras, just change the language in the settings menu will do. All major lamguages already in the cameras.

For Nikon cameras, just change the language in the settings menu will do. All major lamguages already in the cameras.

got smoked by my friend :bsmilie:

ah well, I wouldn't try my luck with bodies anyway, won't wanna risk my warranty unless I frequent that country~ Thank god Nikon still has international warranty for lenses.

Sorry guys, been out of office. Thanks for all your valuable advice. :D
Had decided to buy from Sin when im back. :):):)