Need advice on what prosumer to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkchocdonut

Jun 7, 2008
Singapore
Hi i've always been using point & shoot cameras, and would like to switch to a prosumer to learn some manual functions. I'd like to get a prosumer tts gd for night shots.. and preferably at a price $600 n below. Any advice on what model i can get? Fujifilm s100fs looks gd but its out of my budget :confused:

The popular ones are Panasonic & Fujifilm. Perhaps getting a tripod would be useful for night shots. Personally I have a Fujifilm 9600, Nikon 8700 and previously had used a Sony H9 before and I find that they are pretty good.

S5 IS FTW!
don't know bout night shots tho but handheld at night, some shots are pretty unusable at high ISO.
will buy a tripod soon.

and S5 have the CHDK hack so you can shoot RAW, 64 secs exposure etc, giving you a feel of DSLR. ;)

you can visit my flickr to get a feel of what type images you will be able to produce tho
i cannot guarantee mine can reflect on the ability of the cam:

www.flickr.com/photos/sophomoremoira

its 620 or approximate so maybe you might want it.

my cousin bought the fujifilm 6500fd and i have to say the night shots of that fujifilm cam is much better.
but overall i thought the S5 IS is on a league of its own amongst the prosumer.

panasonic lumix FZ8 can also be considered perhaps?

Last edited:
Consider Nikon P6000. I'm sure you can get it for around $600.

Image quality is excellent. It's sensor size is 1/1.8'' the 2nd largest in the compact cam industry. Got P,S,A,M modes for you to try. Features are almost identical to a dslr. Expandability is good as you can mount an external flash.

For night shots, frankly, no compact cam will give you good pictures if you hold the cam by hand. What you must have is a tripod.

Hi, i went to try out fuji 8100fd at a shop in funan.. and seems like the LCD display is a bit grainy under low-light condition..oso tried out s100fs...its really heavy, though hv to say the pic quality is rather gd.. read up reviews on canon S5is and saw the sample pics posted by users in here, it seems to be quite gd. Now dilemma whether fuji 8100fd or canon s5is is better. :dunno:

Hi i've always been using point & shoot cameras, and would like to switch to a prosumer to learn some manual functions. I'd like to get a prosumer tts gd for night shots.. and preferably at a price $600 n below. Any advice on what model i can get? Fujifilm s100fs looks gd but its out of my budget :confused:

Actually it will be tough for you to shoot handheld at night with a proconsumer. It will only be poosible with tripod.

Status
Not open for further replies.