Need advice on wat flim to use...

Status
Not open for further replies.

nickpower

Feb 1, 2004
Jurong West
Hi, i am a photographer for my church camp. I'm looking for a idea film to use. Most of the time is indoor. I thought of using kodak ISO 200 HD film. But i scare the speed abit slow. So i thought of fuji 400. But i was afraid of the grains and sharpness.
Wat abt some professional films like protraits kinds?
No slides.
Can anyone give some advice or share their expericence? thanx :)

400 shouldn't really pose a problem, grain difference between these two films is not really thar significant, especially given that most of the pics would not go beyond 5R.

fuji press 800 :thumbsup:

nickpower said:
Hi, i am a photographer for my church camp. I'm looking for a idea film to use. Most of the time is indoor. I thought of using kodak ISO 200 HD film. But i scare the speed abit slow. So i thought of fuji 400. But i was afraid of the grains and sharpness.
Wat abt some professional films like protraits kinds?
No slides.
Can anyone give some advice or share their expericence? thanx :)

Depends on how big is the enlargement. For 4R-5R, grain shouldn't be a prob when using Fuji press 800 ( as suggested by Clive).

The trick is, rate the press 800 at ISO 640 or 500 even. This should minimise the grain.

However, if you use press 800 outdoor, you're going to lose a little bit of contrast. Otherwise, it's an excellent film for indoor/low-light situation.

Bring a bunch of Fuji 200s and 400s. You'd go broke buying so much Press 800, unless it's subsidized. Anyway, there would be some outdoor stuff right? No need to cover everything in 800. If your camera does mid-roll rewind, learn to use it. You can 'change ISO' when you need to.

In any case, 800 is not really fast enough for indoors at night (w/o flash) unless you have fast primes.

I use fuji extra 800 for indoor shoots during my previous church camp.

More of candids shots and develop to 4R + scanning digital to post/email.

Outdoor use another cam with fuji 400. (lazy to do mid-roll rewind)

I find the colors of Fuji Press 800 (used indoor with flash) kind of flat when compared to it's slower counterpart, Xtra 400. Labs have found it a pain to adjust the colors too. Don't count on blowing photos up when using Press 800. YES, it is a finer-grained emulsion than Xtra 800 but trust me, you can see it on the faces when it's blown up. :p

400 is pretty good indoors when the ambience lighting is not too bad. If the ceiling is low and white, do a direct bounce w/o diffuser or bounce card will give you very good results.

Hope this helps. ;)

hmm.. i think i will stick to fuji 400. for both outdoor and indoor. I think the ceiling is low enought to bounce. thanx guys..... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.