Need advice on tripods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adrian

May 19, 2004
West
Hi,

I need some advice on tripods. I have a budget of about $300 - $400. After much abused (overseas trips) on my old (brandless) tripod. It's high time to get a new one. I'm into aerial and natural photography. Any recommendation for which make of the tripod and the types of accessories needed.
Thanks

Adrian said:
Hi,

I need some advice on tripods. I have a budget of about $300 - $400. After much abused (overseas trips) on my old (brandless) tripod. It's high time to get a new one. I'm into aerial and natural photography. Any recommendation for which make of the tripod and the types of accessories needed.
Thanks

Search "tripod" and you will find your answer.

Was told by TCW that they have some carbon fiber ones, going for around SGD$300+++. Not sure what brand, they said is from china. Didn't get to see the actual product as their stock have not arrive yet. Perhaps you could check it out.

depends on ya camera la..muz be able to support the weight...for nature photography u might wanna get a monopod instead...??

try slik, manfrotto or giotti...juz search website or go down to penin one of these daes for a walk...

What? 300 to 400 bucks to start off to get some serious tripod and head. I would say, it is neither here nor there. The basic Manfrotto is less than $200, and add a head at say $100 and you still have some change for a sling or some other accessories.

If you're young, strong, the standard Alu alloy type will do, as it is pretty robust. If you were to have more cash, like double what you are willing to spend, can consider CF or carbon fibre, which is actually graphite, which is lighter, but by not much. Light, but not as hardy as alu type.

Cathay has got the biggest range, to choose from. And one more thing, stick to reliable brand for durability, quality and reliability and resale value as you might want to upgrade soon.

saw the giottos tripod MT series......good and steady. is from USA and made in China. Tripod MT9160 with ball head MH2000-200 will cost $300 plus. cathay photo no stock at the moment........waiting.
check this....http://www.giottos.com

jesser said:
saw the giottos tripod MT series......good and steady. is from USA and made in China. Tripod MT9160 with ball head MH2000-200 will cost $300 plus. cathay photo no stock at the moment........waiting.
check this....http://www.giottos.com

I thought Giottos from Italy or France? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Virgo said:
I thought Giottos from Italy or France? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you should referring to Gitzo :)

Recently saw some including Giottos carbon ones at P&G at Adelphi.
Looks sturdy...priced abt $300+
Check them out if interested.

i have a 6 foot monopod which is awesome because i am 6'4" tall. I dont like tripods that much because there arent many tall ones. i always have to hundge my back. but then again its stable.

Actually i have seem couple of new carbon fiber tripods at CP. They are made in China. Price is below $200. Any comments on these tripods?

Hiya Guys,

For advice on tripod, I will recommend you BEMBO with a heavy duty ball head from say manfrotto.

the BEMBO is highly suitable for your outdoor and nature photography needs and can even be submerged into water upto have the full height of the tripod. However, it can be quite heavy.

furthermore, unlike all others, its legs can be extended and rotated in any direction (especially useful in rocky and rough terrain) unlike all other tripods. As such, the legs can point and set in all directions, all just to give you a very secure anchor.

In addition, since you are also into Aerial photography, the BEMBO can also be used as monopod for quick action and space constrained areas as the tip of the tripods are conically (sharp pointed) shaped. However, it is rubber, so it won't scratch the floor.

Setting up is also faster with only a tightening knob in the centre.

One more advantage is that in nature photography, a low perspective is sometimes required and this tripod can do that in a niffy without any removal or reconfiguration manipulation.

Hope this is useful. Anyway this is my first posting.

I'm considering whether to get a Manfrotto 055B and a 486RC3 head...

I've read a lot of reviews of the 055 :) not sure abt the head though...

Is that a good buy? hmmm...

Hi romeo,

Manfrotto 055ProB is a good, value for money tripod to start with...
good for people who are tall (>175m)...
as for the head, are u referring to 486RC2? :dunno:

romeo said:
I'm considering whether to get a Manfrotto 055B and a 486RC3 head...

I've read a lot of reviews of the 055 :) not sure abt the head though...

Is that a good buy? hmmm...

neokn said:
Hi romeo,

Manfrotto 055ProB is a good, value for money tripod to start with...
good for people who are tall (>175m)...
as for the head, are u referring to 486RC2? :dunno:
yah... haha... I just bought one 2 days ago :)

486RC2, made a mistake with the number :) Great stable tripod, tried it on Saturday at SBG :)

Very stable.. not as heavy as I thought it would be though :D

Status
Not open for further replies.