Need advice on this photo & loads of others like this

Status
Not open for further replies.

L-plate

Mar 16, 2008
I'm using a Canon 400D.. My shutter speed was 13sec, Lens aperture f/4 with an exposure of 13sec. ISO 100. I've tried so many different exposures & shutter speed but I've always got the humans with a ghosting image & the lanterns showing their trials of light although they're floating up in a slow manner.

If I increased the shutter speed to a faster one... I somehow am unable to capture or compensate on the aperture.... I'm also using a tripod & a remote switch. Oh yes, I didn't use a flash... not because I don't want to but am unlucky to run out of batteries. :cry:

Is there a way Photoshop 7 is able to rectify? I've tried the sharpen tool but in vain.

Your advises is fully appreciated.

Thank you in advance...

IMG_6561.jpg

Well... Exactly what is it you're trying to achieve in the first place?

13 seconds = long exposure. I hope you used a tripod for stability. Of course you will see ghosting! People are not going to hold still for 13 seconds. Even if you fired a flash to "freeze" some of their motion, you'll still get ghosting.

"Could not compensate aperture". In what way? You're already at f/4, you'll already start to have DOF issues. Why not increase your ISO?

I think you need to read up more on the basics of exposure, and buy a tripod.

You mean those bright streaks are lantern light trails?
I also noob experimenting with night scenes, but why don't increase ISO to 400, shutter can drop down to ~3sec. Or ISO to 800, shutter can further cut by half? Should get about the same exposure.

Is there a way Photoshop 7 is able to rectify? I've tried the sharpen tool but in vain.

In one word - NO. In many words - the original image you captured has long exposure of 13 seconds. As long as the subjects are moving within the 13 seconds. There will be ghosting. Sometimes an exposure of 1 second under low light will cause ghosting.

As Rashkae has said - what are you trying to achieve with this? If you want a very tiptop super-sharp photo of people.

Learn all about ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. These 3 are inter-related. Higher ISO means the film/sensor is more sensitive. The wider the aperture, the more light is let into the sensor. And shutterspeed controls the amount of light allowed through.

So if you want sharp photos - this means a very fast shutterspeed. Probably 1/60 or faster. ISO and aperture should be as high as possible. Of course, there are tradeoffs - higher ISO = more noise. Bigger aperture will affect the Depth of Field - ie. some subjects will be out of focus.

If after trying all these and you can't get the type of photo you want. Then... it's a question of your camera gear. :p

I don't want to start on filters, cause that will be.... too much too soon... ;)

Last edited:
If after trying all these and you can't get the type of photo you want. Then... it's a question of your camera gear. :p

I don't want to start on filters, cause that will be.... too much too soon... ;)

I disagree on the gear... And he doesn't need filters.

Assuming he wants the people sharp AND still have the lantern light trails, then he may need to take 2 totally separate shots (one for the people, one for the lanterns) and then cut+merge in photoshop.

Again, a tripod will be the best thing to help you here.

I disagree on the gear... And he doesn't need filters.

Assuming he wants the people sharp AND still have the lantern light trails, then he may need to take 2 totally separate shots (one for the people, one for the lanterns) and then cut+merge in photoshop.

Again, a tripod will be the best thing to help you here.

Yup... I totally forgot about the "magic" of post-processing with photoshop. My apologies. :embrass:

Agree with you if he wants both people and lantern light trails sharp - 2 separate shots with tripod is the way to go. :)

Yup... I totally forgot about the "magic" of post-processing with photoshop. My apologies. :embrass:

Nah. Filters just wouldn't help him here.

Though, re-reading... I think he's trying to freeze the motion of both? He's actually using a tripod...

If that's the case, you need to massively bump up your ISO. I suggest reading the book "Understanding exposure" by Bryan Peterson.

Thanks for the replies guys... I want the people and the lanterns to be sharp and I did use a tripod. I've also tried to increase the shutter speed but the EQ of the cam doesn't allow it to snap... thus, I can only take at 13sec. 13sec isn't a choice I wanna make but no other choice as the cam doesn't allow me to take pics.

Thanks for the replies guys... I want the people and the lanterns to be sharp and I did use a tripod. I've also tried to increase the shutter speed but the EQ of the cam doesn't allow it to snap... thus, I can only take at 13sec. 13sec isn't a choice I wanna make but no other choice as the cam doesn't allow me to take pics.

Hmmm... now you know why I don't support Canon. Hahahaha... okay, jokes aside.

Only way is to bump ISO to the max but noise will be introduced depending on the imaging processor and aperture should be as wide as possible. If after increasing both aperture and ISO, the shutter speed cannot be lowered.... :think: Try using Shutter Priority or Auto - I'm totally unfamiliar with Canon's controls so I'm no help there. If that still can't achieve the photo that you want...

It's time to invest in a lens with superwide aperture.... YIKES!!! I'm going to hide before Rashkae reads this... hehehehe :bsmilie:

You need to up your ISO to 3200 or 6400 to achieve motion freezing in this kind of light.

You need to up your ISO to 3200 or 6400 to achieve motion freezing in this kind of light.

400D maxed at 1600. He need to change camera or get faster lens?

That's not true. What ISO did you use? Did you max it out?

400D maxed at 1600. He need to change camera or get faster lens?

Faster lens means shallower DOF. Then he'll have some sharp and some blurred objects.

ISO 100 - 1600 is still 4 stops worth of exp. ~ 5s shutter speed. Less blur but not completely gone.

On Canon should have M mode - set your own aperture & shutter speed. Or if you are a bit lazy or the lighting not so tricky Tv (shutter speed priority) will do.

Ya work within the limits of the equipment... if not satisfied get better ones haha.

what you need is a brighter scene

if the ambient light is not bright enough to allow you to freeze movement
then add artificial lights

this will allow you to get an exposure that will freeze your subjects

this is on top of the increasing your ISO speed advise

Hi L-Plate, I see why you chose this name. But dun think you'll want to use it forever. If you want sharp pictures with latern trails, use a flash and go with rear curtain sync. Pls read your manual on that and do some experiment at different settings. Dun expect to get it right the 1st time. Its practice , practice, practice. Hope this helps ;)

what is a sharp lantern trail?? can someone show me an example? :confused:

and aren't u guys suggesting techniques and equipments quite above the average newbie? (since this is a newbie section)

what is a sharp lantern trail?? can someone show me an example? :confused:

and aren't u guys suggesting techniques and equipments quite above the average newbie? (since this is a newbie section)

Nope. The very basics of exposure are exactly what a newbie should be learning. These are all basic newbie DSLR techniques. And this newbies section is for learning, so we are teaching.

L-plate and nysheng, pls read your owner's manual 1st before embarking to uncharted territories. The way you guys are going is like going to war forgetting to bring along your ammo. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.