NEED ADVICE: On Sony HX 90V

jezzmatezz

Oct 4, 2006
woodlands
Dear all
I currently own a canon s95 and I was thinking of upgrading to a Sony hx90v.
I was doing research on its features but I came across a comparison which I am not too sure what it means.
http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-PowerShot-S95-vs-Sony-Cyber-shot-DSC-HX90V

Was hoping to seek anyone’s kind advice on what does these actually mean:
1) max aperture tele/wide (what does faster lens do?)
2) sensor pixel area

Thanks in advance for your response.

Was hoping to get a point&shoot camera with good optical zoom

Attachments

• F8191661-A9D6-49CE-ACF9-44050F5BC33D.jpeg
    F8191661-A9D6-49CE-ACF9-44050F5BC33D.jpeg
    33.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Was hoping to seek anyone’s kind advice on what does these actually mean:
1) max aperture tele/wide (what does faster lens do?)
2) sensor pixel area

Thanks in advance for your response.

Was hoping to get a point&shoot camera with good optical zoom

Answer to 1: This refers to maximum aperture at the wide and telephoto end.
S95 = F2 vs hx90V = F3.5 about 2 stop difference?

Answer to 2: this refer to individual pixel size, theory being larger better than smaller
as a bigger pixel like a bucket can collect more light vs a smaller bucket where excess light spills over to adjacent
pixels and cause "over exposure or contamination" resulting in not optimum photo (HX90V is smaller due to higher 18.2Mp
count). Not a major "problem" just perhaps dynamic range takes a beating.

That said HX90V is marketed as world's smallest digital camera which is true, it has popup EVF (electronic viewfinder vs S95
which is useful in very bright sunny light. GPS ,wifi, GPS and of course a 30X zoom compare to S95's 3X zoom?

Hope by now sony has improved it's quality control as user's comments are anything to go by when in 2015? Other than that it seems to be what people want in a travel camera.

https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/sony-hx90v/sony-hx90vA.HTM

https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/06/23/sony-hx90v-initial-gallery-impressions

Most notable is same image processor as RX100III ,check for latest firm for improvements.

Reactions: jezzmatezz
Upgrading from a 2010 model to something from 2015 when we have 2018?
How about the G9X II from Canon? Larger sensor and faster lens, provided the zoom range suits your needs.

Upgrading from a 2010 model to something from 2015 when we have 2018?
How about the G9X II from Canon? Larger sensor and faster lens, provided the zoom range suits your needs.
The canon g9x II is a good camera but I'm looking for a compact zoom camera too

The canon g9x II is a good camera but I'm looking for a compact zoom camera too

The Sony HX90 may have an impressive long 30X zoom but won't give you the pic quality of your old S95. The Canon G9xII is similar in size to the S95, also 3x zoom and as good or better pic quality with its larger 1" sensor.

Alternative could be the Panasonic TZ100 (10x zoom 25-250) or the new TZ200 (15x zoom 24-360). Like the Canon G9xII, these 2 also have the larger 1" sensors.

1. Having a smaller max aperture number / faster lens means the lens aperture or opens wider (aperture number is a fraction commonly written as f/number so smaller number = bigger size)
2. Bigger sensor pixel area means it is bigger and can collect more light

Taken together, in general having the aperture that can open wider and bigger sensor area means the camera can collect more light and thus generally offer better image quality. That's why people buy big cameras to get better image quality (other than bragging rights)

However if you find your Canon S95 image quality good enough, don't zoom into photos at 100% to scrutinize, don't print large sizes and only share on social media, then most camera models nowadays are good enough. The sensor size of the lower end cameras are about the same size as smartphone cameras anyway. Just choose any camera model than suits your budget, required zoom range (as most smartphone cameras can't zoom), size and camera interface and you're set :)

Hi everyone
Thank you all so much for your advice.
After a careful review I’ve decided that I’ll get a canon eos m100.
Based on the specs and reviews on YouTube.
It looks like a good camera

Hi everyone
Thank you all so much for your advice.
After a careful review I’ve decided that I’ll get a canon eos m100.
Based on the specs and reviews on YouTube.
It looks like a good camera

Sony just announced the RX100mkVI with a 24-200mm. More compact than the m100 but more expensive and smaller snsor.