Need advice on some A40 shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
E

Eddy777

Hi All,

I am a newbie to DC and below you can see 2 pics that are taken by me without a tripod at Raffles City.

Raffles_City2.jpg

Shutter speed: 1/8 sec
Aperture: 2.8
Exposure mode: Program
Exposure compensation: +1
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: Single frame shooting
ISO: 50
Lens: 5.0 to 16.0 mm
Focal length: 5.0 mm
AF mode: Single AF

Raffles_City1.jpg

Shutter speed: 1/10 sec
Aperture: 2.8
Exposure mode: Program
Exposure compensation: +1
Flash: Off
Metering mode: Evaluative
Drive mode: Single frame shooting
ISO: 50
Lens: 5.0 to 16.0 mm
Focal length: 5.0 mm
AF mode: Single AF

May I know for taking such shots, do I need to set my camera to "infinity" mode?? And should flash be on?

If you notice, some of the people in the image is a bit blur. May I know is it because of the speed of the shutter? If I increase the speed of the shutter, I won't be able to get enough exposure as I am already using the largest aperture size which is F2.8.

This is the dilemna, I want sharper but also well-exposed pics. What can I do?? Increase ISO?

By the way, a faster shutter will allow me to compensate for my unsteady hands...right?? ... hehe.....

Any comments is welcome. :) Thanks.

Set to ISO 100 or 200....the shutter will be faster to cut down on the effects on motion blur.

Hi, you don't need to set to infinity, the A40 should be able to take care of focus for you since the scene is bright enough.

Yup, the slow shutter speed accounts for the blurring of the people. For freezing human motion, it is recommended to shoot at 1/125s at least. Your shots were taken at ISO50, f2.8, 1/10s. Say if you bump the ISO up to ISO400, that will give you f2.8, about 1/100s. That would be quite an appropriate shutter speed to freeze motion, also to freeze any handshaking on your part.

But beware, using ISO400 will result in lots of noise. That's the sacrifice you have to make for a faster shutter speed in low light conditions.

If I were you, I will still use ISO50 or at most ISO100. Motion blur is common and acceptable. It also gives the viewer the idea that this is an action shot.

Originally posted by Klause
If I were you, I will still use ISO50 or at most ISO100. Motion blur is common and acceptable. It also gives the viewer the idea that this is an action shot.

so what would be the best setting to minimize motion blur?
forgive me i'm a newbie!

Originally posted by ccmheoa

so what would be the best setting to minimize motion blur?
forgive me i'm a newbie!

Hi, I explained that in my previous post in this thread. Basically, try to push up shutter speed to as fast as you can attain, without sacrificing fstop and ISO to an intolerable level that is defined by you. :) For typical human motion, you need at least 1/125s.

The flash will not be useful in this situation as the scene is too wide and too far... your flash isn't powerful enough... And most flash wouldn't be....

Its already amazing you can handhold a 1/8 second shutter with so little camera shake... Hee Hee...

Try to increase the ISO a little... Depends on the camera, a ISO of 400 may allow you to achieve a shutterspeed of 2 stops lower... that'll be around 1/30? Can minimize motion blur, but maybe not eliminate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.