Need advice on potrait photography

zhehaolau

Aug 12, 2010
Hey all,

I was asked by my friend to do a photoshoot this coming wednesday but as i am more of a landscape and street photographer, i am not really ready for this task.
But nonetheless i think i am still going to help my friend out.

Although it is just a simple photoshoot for blogshop, i think i will still need valuable advice from clubsnap people as this is my first time shooting a model.

My gear:
Canon 550D + 50mm f1.8

Any tips and advice?

Thanks!

Hey all,

I was asked by my friend to do a photoshoot this coming wednesday but as i am more of a landscape and street photographer, i am not really ready for this task.

Although it is just a simple photoshoot for blogshop, i think i will still need valuable advice from clubsnap people as this is my first time shooting a model.

My gear:
Canon 550D + 50mm f1.8

Any tips and advice?

Thanks!

good enough for outdoor, but indoor might be abit tight

how about C17-55mm or T17-50 non vc

Take a look at the many many many many many portrait threads out there. Also, try a google search for "portrait photography tips". TONS of resources.

Hey all,

My gear:
Canon 550D + 50mm f1.8

Any tips and advice?

Thanks!

Depending on where you are going to shoot and at what condition, you might want to invest in external flash (can be third party), diffuser, and extra tripods to mount your flashes so as to shoot off shoe.

luckyorange said:
good enough for outdoor, but indoor might be abit tight

how about C17-55mm or T17-50 non vc

Not really, assuming it's a studio shoot, which is usually is, the usual range is from 50mm-135mm

luckyorange said:
haha opps, i never think till so far hahah

No worries bro:) if it's event shoot you are talking about then it correct. And at wide angles, the model and owner won't be pleased with the results:bsmilie:

Ask spree86. He master of portraits and also he earns a living from shooting XMMs for blogshops too! :bsmilie:

Thanks for all your replies guys!
Yea actually before the invitation, i was actually thinking of getting a Nissin DI622 II cause i am not really a portrait shooter so don't need i want to invest so heavily.
But the shoot is wednesday in a studio in Ngee Ann Poly so i think a bit tight for me to get a flash right now.

Master spree86 mind sharing some tips and can show off your works? :D

Thanks for all your replies guys!
Yea actually before the invitation, i was actually thinking of getting a Nissin DI622 II cause i am not really a portrait shooter so don't need i want to invest so heavily.
But the shoot is wednesday in a studio in Ngee Ann Poly so i think a bit tight for me to get a flash right now.

Master spree86 mind sharing some tips and can show off your works? :D

Don't listen to Crystal, I am not a master!! Just shoot for fun only. From what you typed, the studio does not provide strobes and you have to bring your own flash?

All my models big round eyes one, very pretty :bsmilie:

5821666122_f6568c6c8a_z.jpg

You need to get excess to some pot first before you can shoot potrait.. Seeing as how Singapore is classifying anything that's not tobacco that can be smoked illegal, you're going to find a hard time starting out bro...

Good luck though! :)

You need to get excess to some pot first before you can shoot potrait.. Seeing as how Singapore is classifying anything that's not tobacco that can be smoked illegal, you're going to find a hard time starting out bro...

Good luck though! :)

To shoot 'pot right' you say?
Ah... the good old days. Suddenly feeling very old.