Need advice on pentax smc 50mm 1.2

tikiman

Aug 20, 2009
Home is Singapore
Hi all, need advice on this lenses. Today on a visit to a 2nd store in moscow, I chance upon a smc pentax k 50mm f1.2 manual lens. Glass is exceptionally clean, almost mint. I mounted it on my super program. Bokeh thru the vf nearly caused me to drool on the spot.

But the guy is asking for an equivalent of 650sgd. is it a worth it buy? Please advice. Thanks

Evil Bay is asking from SGD$577 to SGD $1000 for the A50/1.2. There is one CSer selling his for SGD$975. For K, sounds like a bit high, but I am no expert.

Last edited:
Hi all, need advice on this lenses. Today on a visit to a 2nd store in moscow, I chance upon a smc pentax k 50mm f1.2 manual lens. Glass is exceptionally clean, almost mint. I mounted it on my super program. Bokeh thru the vf nearly caused me to drool on the spot.

But the guy is asking for an equivalent of 650sgd. is it a worth it buy? Please advice. Thanks

I got a minolta "Bokeh king" Rokkor 58mm f1.2 for a friend here for 650 sgd. So I guess K 50mm f1.2 shouldn't be that expensive, perhaps in the range 450-550sgd.

For image quality, you can see some 'tests' here :
http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-clubs/74819-post-your-1-2-photos-1-2-only.html

I'm know quite a few ppl have this lens or the A version.
AFAIK its too expensive.
Should be at least $100 less, probably more.
Think about it a slightly slower but new and AF, auto aperture FA50/1.4 is only about $520.
A really nice and new and unique Voigtlander 58/1.4 with A-mode is $580

The cosina/revuenon 55/1.2 cost less as well.

Thank for the replies. So it seems that I have to tell him 500 or no deal. But is the lens good. is it sharp wide open, or should I give it a miss.

You're in Moscow? Why are you here in Moscow?

Yes I am in Moscow. Many reasons... but why are you asking? ;)

Thank for the replies. So it seems that I have to tell him 500 or no deal. But is the lens good. is it sharp wide open, or should I give it a miss.

On paper it's wide open performance does look good ;)
50er2.jpg

Source: http://forum.mflenses.com/viewtopic.php?t=38548

Its sharp enough wide open, and the good contrast from Pentax (lens design and SMC) helps a lot to give it more apparent sharpness over a similar fast 1.2 or 1.4 lens.
Like all such fast lenses, focus accuracy is more the problem.

But my advice is don't 'kan cheong'. The lens is avaliable enough on ebay, here on CS and PF.
There are also many good alternatives (eg. modified Rokkor; Cosina 55/1.2; Voigtlander 58/1.4; A50/1.2)

IMHO, a f1.2 lens is not for the actual light gathering (it does give a slight approximate 1/3 stop advantage).
Its more for its rendering, bokeh, shallower DOF and effect plus bragging rights of course ;) .
More of an special option 'art' lens than a general go to lens.

Gd luck.

Its more for its rendering, bokeh, shallower DOF and effect plus bragging rights of course ;) .

+1 for the last reason ;p

one is never enough :embrass:
IMGP5561.JPG

just my 2 cents, ebay or other websites might have but the condition might not be as good sometimes comes with little fungus as well. so do consider! :D

Because he's there too :)
I kinda of guess... haha. Would anyone believe that I am swimming in a harem of long-legged blondies, eating bucket-loads of black caviar, and have a six-pack the likes of Abercrombie & Fitch ad in Orchard Road.

Its sharp enough wide open, and the good contrast from Pentax (lens design and SMC) helps a lot to give it more apparent sharpness over a similar fast 1.2 or 1.4 lens.
Like all such fast lenses, focus accuracy is more the problem.

But my advice is don't 'kan cheong'. The lens is avaliable enough on ebay, here on CS and PF.
There are also many good alternatives (eg. modified Rokkor; Cosina 55/1.2; Voigtlander 58/1.4; A50/1.2)

IMHO, a f1.2 lens is not for the actual light gathering (it does give a slight approximate 1/3 stop advantage).
Gd luck.
Thanks for the advice. I am looking for a sharp and very fast 50mm for pentax K or leica-R mount. This is because I want to swap it between them and my 7D to get a 80mm portrait lens. There is of course the summilux-R 50mm, but the cost is in another price range ... so looking for a more affordable Pentax version.

Judging from responses, i may just skip the idea of a f1.2 and just get a f1.4.

tikiman said:
that maybe another option... gg to see it today n offer. c if he bite.

Bring personal protection gear just in case it gets ugly! :p

Bring personal protection gear just in case it gets ugly! :p
Got the lens, got the discount, even gave me a free leather container for my vario-elmar. Initial test @ the shop with the 7D shows pretty good sharpness wide open. But need to get a good pk-eos adapter to fully test it.

can bros out there please advice where I can get a well-made adapter in Sg. thanks for all the advices guys, if not I may have kanna ko-tok without knowing.

btw here's the pic of the lens...thanks and good night.
6199043268_2ce7c1973c_z.jpg

Last edited:
Got the lens, got the discount, even gave me a free leather container for my vario-elmar. Initial test @ the shop with the 7D shows pretty good sharpness wide open. But need to get a good pk-eos adapter to fully test it.

can bros out there please advice where I can get a well-made adapter in Sg. thanks for all the advices guys, if not I may have kanna ko-tok without knowing.

btw here's the pic of the lens...thanks and good night.
6199043268_2ce7c1973c_z.jpg

try fotodio adapter but pricy.