Need advice on Nikon D100

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Nikon newbie here. I have a D100 and 24-85/AFS and need to shoot a conference. Pls give me some advice on Nikon flash system. Thanks for any input.:)

not too sure what you're looking for.... (I have the Nikon SB80DX for a while)

for a start, you need a DX series flash for TTL. These emit pre-flash like Ettl to determine flash exposure.

tomshen said:
Nikon newbie here. I have a D100 and 24-85/AFS and need to shoot a conference. Pls give me some advice on Nikon flash system. Thanks for any input.:)

:bigeyes: :bigeyes:

you bought a D100?

for nikon flashes, only those with DX and the latest SB800 will give you TTL

DX flashes : SB80-DX, SB50-DX, SB28-DX

Forgot to mention, I have a SB28-DX.

Tested but seems the camera flash compensation setting does not work. Say I use M f5.6, 1/60s, normally with Canon I +1 flash and bounce, but D100 does not work. So I changed SB28 to f8 using A mode, and TTL does not work??? Then it seems better. For low ceiling I have no problem, but what I am afraid is high ceiling open space, how noisy is the ISO800? Anyone use it for indoor dark environment?

sorry...my flash technique is still not there yet....

you +1 flash on the flash itself or the D100?
normally if i want a more stronger flash, i'll +1 at the flash itself..

according to the D100 manual, SB28-DX is capable of DTTL...

tomshen said:

Am equally surprise that you bought a Nikon! From your website it seems that you have quite a number of Canon stuff! What was the reason for change of system?

I think based on your experience (you are definitely not a newbie!) you would know that using flash on digital is quite tricky as the TTL does not work the same way as film. Perhaps you would like to read the following link from a professional photographer:

http://shootsmarter.com/infocenter/wc004.html

You may want to consider using the Stofen Omnibounce especially when the ceiling is high. It helps to throw some direct lighting on the subject while diffusing to light the background. I have been using it for many events shots and yielded pretty good results. Here's a pic taken while covering a baby celebrating 1 month old using the SB28 flash (without DX) with the omnibounce.

DSC_0333.jpg

I think bottomline is that you need to try out the flash in various situations to get a feel of it before the big day!

mjjphoto said:
So far I find the Nikon flash system yield great results. I used to be on Canon too and found one irritating problem: The flash cast shadows of my lens in the pic and tend towards overexposure. This was one of the reasons that made me switched to Nikon! Have never looked back since!

the SB80DX does that too...for certain lenses, you'll have to remove the lens hood, else it will cast a shadow ... like the 24-120vr

tomshen: here's a full size pic taken with ISO1000 without flash, taken at night

here

it's about 3mb file, out of camera pic, not edited at all...

Thanks guys. I did not change system, just have to use a D100 for some event. I will read the articles you posted.

rncw said:
sorry...my flash technique is still not there yet....

you +1 flash on the flash itself or the D100?
normally if i want a more stronger flash, i'll +1 at the flash itself..

according to the D100 manual, SB28-DX is capable of DTTL...

there is no difference whether you +1 on the camera or on the flash.

Status
Not open for further replies.