Need advice on Nepal Backpack Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

cheechee

Sep 22, 2002
Sengkang
Visit site
Hi, i am thinking of making a trip to Nepal sometime in june this year, as my uni graduation trip. ;)

Would like to seek advice from those who did backpack trips (i.e not with tour group) on the itenery and any nice links to refer to for reference?
And any places of interest, or venues whereby most backpackers would travel to? and around how many days travel is sufficient for a group of 4(2 male and 2 female)? Budget still trying to figure out also :D

And anyone kind enough to email their previous nepal trip travel plans? just as references.

Thanks in advance.

woooo............ uni graduation trip ;p

one more year for me :rolleyes:

mervlam said:
woooo............ uni graduation trip ;p

one more year for me :rolleyes:
haha... uni life better. IA even better. :D
I still miss my IA life. :embrass:

It is easier to book a private your group for Nepal. 4 persons travelling together is enough for a private tour. The agency will fly you to Kathamudu, then connect flight to the mountain, then organize a local hiking guide and supporting staffs. Last time I spent about 10 days there, hike from Pokkara to the Fish Tail mountain and back, then spent the last day in the Kathamudu city.

Astin said:
It is easier to book a private your group for Nepal. 4 persons travelling together is enough for a private tour. The agency will fly you to Kathamudu, then connect flight to the mountain, then organize a local hiking guide and supporting staffs. Last time I spent about 10 days there, hike from Pokkara to the Fish Tail mountain and back, then spent the last day in the Kathamudu city.
thanks prob will try and ask ard too.
Btw, u mentioned the fish tail mountaint, is it Machhapuchhare (6997m)?
i tot it is a sacred mountain, so no one can climb to its peak? :D

cheechee said:

I forgot the nepalese name for the Fish Tail mountain, may check out later tonight, somewhere near Annapunna region.

u are rigth. Fish Tail Peak is very scary and many life are lost there. nepal government had closed the peak. but i believe what astin said is that Annarpurna range. Am i right here ??

i am the event organiser for the http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=36973

planning to go there again this year.

if u have any inquiries, u can PM me.

FYI, June is a raining season. It always rain, and trekking on a slippery and muddy surface is not advised.....not to mention u hardly get a good scenary with clear sky to shoot....

you are welcome. :)

wong_se, always wanted to go Nepal, but the timing was never right. Would be interested if there is another trip organised this year. :)

Hi All,

It was my first time being in Nepal last year Oct. And i fell in love with the beauty scenary there.

I am planning to go there again this year Oct/Nov or next Year Mar/Apr.

itinerary (very brief) as follows ;

1) Fly to kathmandu
2) Kathmandu drive to Pokhara
3) Pokhara drive to Kathmandu to take a flight to Lhasa
4) Lhasa drive to Gyantse; Shigatse ; Shegar/Lhatse ; Rombuk.... and trek to Everest Base Camp
5) Rombuk drive to lao Tingri ; Zhangmu to Dhulikhel
6) Dhulikel drive to Kathamndu Airport

Estimated : 14 days
Cost SGD 3,000 (luxury package) inclusive everything (good meal) except shopping.

dun ask me what is the cheapo package.... I dun stay in backpack inn...
the previous trip...all of us eat good and sleep well...

I have not called up for an official thread....since i believe i have enough member to join... all of us (7) from the last trip...had all formed a tremendously good relationship....since then we had been going for several photo shooting events after the trip....dinner....meet up..email...learn B&W developing...learn to shoot manual and TLR....and a KK trip.

But if u are interested, pls let me know and I will keep u informed.

Hi wong_se, SGD3000 for 14 days is quite a lot...and I am used to budget/backpack/travelling alone.

But, I am interested. Just let me know if there is a trip organized. Thanks!

Hi,

sorry berryhappy, i dun go for budget tour. will hire a small van or 4WD to drive us around with tour guide and driver.

FYI, air ticket from SIN to KTH is SGD700.

VISA for nepal is USD30 and departure tax is USD35.

Flight form KTH to Lhasa is USD260.

normally we go for a meal between SGD10-SGD15 with berevage.

U can see that we are on quite a luxury package.

My team are all working adult...from late 20s to early 40s. Money is not really a concern.

FYI, the previouos 10D in nepal, each of us averagely spent SGD1500 ++ if including shooping. Partly because we preferred having a decent hotel arrangement and very good meal and drinks on every dinner.

cheechee said:

you are right abt the fish tail = Machapu.. name and the sacred part, and no one is allowed to climb it. most probably, the other guy meant that he went there and saw it from the annapurna trek.

btw, I just went there 3 months ago and did a 16 days annapurna trek with a guide and porter. most probably that the link to the other forum page would get u lots of information. i bet u did your search on google and it does throw up a lot of information that u can use. if u need more info, i see what i know.

basically it was awesome, especially in the winter and it was snowing.

Hehe, its not just abt sacredness... its also the difficulty of climbing it... some of the peaks in the Himalaya may be lower than Everest in height, but may not be lower in difficulty in climbing... :)
Anyway, posted a pic of Fishtail almost 2 years ago.... seems its still around :)
http://forums.clubsnap.org/showthread.php?t=18060

regards
..NuTs..

cheechee said:

wong_se... i'm planning a trip on my own in 2nd half november this year end. probably take 14-18 days. gonna cover everest base camp as well. can' you let me know which agency you tie up to give you quotes for 4WDs in nepal and hotel room rates? thanks.

is november a good time to go up there anyway? i'll be back 30th november to join te singapore marathon. so climate training would be beneficial during those times. thanks for any information you can give me ma.. cheers! ;)

wong_se said:
I am planning to go there again this year Oct/Nov or next Year Mar/Apr.

itinerary (very brief) as follows ;

1) Fly to kathmandu
2) Kathmandu drive to Pokhara
3) Pokhara drive to Kathmandu to take a flight to Lhasa
4) Lhasa drive to Gyantse; Shigatse ; Shegar/Lhatse ; Rombuk.... and trek to Everest Base Camp
5) Rombuk drive to lao Tingri ; Zhangmu to Dhulikhel
6) Dhulikel drive to Kathamndu Airport

Estimated : 14 days
Cost SGD 3,000 (luxury package) inclusive everything (good meal) except shopping.

dun ask me what is the cheapo package.... I dun stay in backpack inn...
the previous trip...all of us eat good and sleep well...

Haha... wong_se.... already at it. Hey the tentative prog sounds great as it covers Tibet too. Interesting climb to EBC from other side? Wan to do this Oct?

Ya we ate and slept well. Important if u want to push yourself in the day. Great trip.

I did the Annarpurna Base Camp trek with the rovers during my Uni days. It was pretty fun and we have great snow-capped mountain view for the majority of the trip. But it was hard for a few who developed knee problems.... they have to be helped by the guides/sherpas.

I went for the ABC (Annapurna Base Camp) circuit in Nepal. Views are amazing and it is definitely worth going to nepal a second time.

However, please take note that there is now unrest between the government and the repel (the Maoist) in Nepal now and just saw from the news yesterday that it is getting worst and not better. This you will have to be very cautious, though no tourist was hurt yet, but in chaos, bullets and bombs have no eyes.

When i was there, i actually met the repel who have guns and granites on them... come to think of it... pretty scaring...

So if you really am going, please be careful.

well, so far everyone i know who have been to Nepal want to go back again. Nepal really has its charms.

I myself been there twice. First to Annapurna Base Camp in 2002, and Gokyo Lakes in 2003.

I went there "alone" in 2003. Alone as in I booked my own ticket in SIngapore and flew there alone. I arranged with the trekking agency that i got to know in 2002 for a guide n porter for a 12 days Gokyo Lakes trek.

as for budget, as a rough guide,
In the cities, you can find rooms without attached bathrooms for like US$2-3 a night. US$4 will get you a spacious room(for 2 persons) with attached bathroom.

In the mountains, assuming you are staying in teahouses, U$15-20 per day will get you pretty comfortable with bed,meals, water (yes u have to pay for boiled water), baths, snacks.

pls pm me if you need further info or contacts. :)

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.