Need advice on my Photo

clchong11

Sep 27, 2010
I still cannot figure out what's wrong with my photos...izit my technic / skill or camera problem. Please HELP....feels frustrated of the outcome for most of the photos...:cry:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/55167010@N06/

PLEASE HELP and Thank You...

Last edited:
not an expert but i think ur shutter speed is too slow and tats why ur pics are not tat sharp..since you are using Kr..you can bump up ur iso to 1600 or 3200..rule of thumb is that your shutter speed shld be 1/(focal length)...e.g. if your focal length is 50mm..your shutter speed should be 1/75 or faster..(you need to multiply ur focal length by 1.5 since you are using cropped sensor)..

not an expert but i think ur shutter speed is too slow and tats why ur pics are not tat sharp..since you are using Kr..you can bump up ur iso to 1600 or 3200..rule of thumb is that your shutter speed shld be 1/(focal length)...e.g. if your focal length is 50mm..your shutter speed should be 1/75 or faster..(you need to multiply ur focal length by 1.5 since you are using cropped sensor)..

Yup agree with Yamakasi.. your shutter speed is way too low.. 1/13, 1/5 and 1/8 for 35,37.5 and 42.5mm FL is very low. Although it has K-R has built in SR, there's always a limit to it. Slight movement can cause blurness which is shown in ur picture. KR has good ISO, push it up to 1600 or 3200. :)

Maybe this link would help u more to understand,
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/threads/309544-Photography-Notes-For-Newbies

It's great to read and pick up good tips.

Out of topic, what happen to clubsnap posting, always see double posting recently.

either that change to lens with higher f number - but this will cost $.
if you are new to DSLR, recommend maximum you can go handheld is at least 1/30 :)

You can also try using live view to shoot. Sometimes if i can't get a sharp photo handheld i will change to live view to take the shot.

either that change to lens with higher f number - but this will cost $.
if you are new to DSLR, recommend maximum you can go handheld is at least 1/30 :)

Larger maximum aperture = smaller f-stop number

IMHO, if you find yourself taking alot of indoor shots with low light, it would help alot to invest in a lens with a bigger aperture. ie f1.4 - f2.8.

I still cannot figure out what's wrong with my photos...izit my technic / skill or camera problem. Please HELP....feels frustrated of the outcome for most of the photos...:cry:

Unless your camera has a spoilt shutter, then the quick answer is technique and understanding of photography.

Photography involves a lot of things. Technique isn't everything, but it's important to have some amount of it to achieve what you seek to achieve. A photographer paints with light - if you don't understand what is needed to do this painting, then it's going to be a tough, tough journey.

Suggest you pick up a good basic photography book - my suggestion is Michael Freeman's DSLR Handbook. Easily available, free-of-charge at many branches of the National Library.

Just curious. Would using the flash improve the situation?

As mentioned by edutilos, try do do some read up to get some understanding of the technical aspects of photography.

For the pictures posted, the shutter speed is too slow in the dim lighting. You need to use a higher shutter speed. To do that, you can adjust ISO, aperture or use a flash.

Just curious. Would using the flash improve the situation?
Of course. But preferably bounced. ;)

just to add to some of the points already raised:

- shutter speed: unless you have very steady hands, shutter speed of ~ 1/80 is needed to minimise blurred pix due to hand shake.

- ISO: faster shutter speed can be achieved with higher ISO, but u introduce noise into the pix which more fussy photographers won't want. The K-X and K-R control this very well but its necessary to have healthy expectations - u can't expect zero noise with ISO 1600 or 3200.

- aperture: fast lenses like those that can achieve F2.8 or F1.4 can also give u a faster shutter speed but u'll get shallower depth of field. pix may be a bit soft too.

- flash: the camera's pop-up flash or a mounted flash-gun is very useful because you can achieve shutter speed of up to 1/180 (or higher with HSS) but flash needs to be bounced or diffused or the harsh lighting may spoil the pix - oily face, burnt pix, etc.

its all about the interaction between the different settings in your camera and how you play around with it to achieve the results you want.

External Flash with diffuser help a lot than direct flash.

For a start, maybe you can try Tv mode (shutter priority) with Auto ISO set to a wide range (e.g. 100-6400). Take a few photos at maybe 1/80s and see whether its ok. If not, set to a faster shutter speed (e.g. 1/100) and try again. Repeat till you get a picture that you're satisfied with. Hope that helps. =)

One more advice from a newbie like me is to use auto 1st then check the setting decided by the camera. Experiment with the setting and see the effect.

it's not easy taking indoor shots.. try to set ur iso to auto ranging between 200 to 1600. Should produce sharper picts

Thanks Yamakasi...you info are great to me. Will adsorp it and try again...

Tot of buying one...any recommendation ???

One more advice from a newbie like me is to use auto 1st then check the setting decided by the camera. Experiment with the setting and see the effect.

cyc1op...i'd tried for the auto...but due to some restriction (I believe), the pictures also didn't turn out to our desire. I had read an article bout it...that is why those pro preferred manual. Anyway...still long journey for me to learn all these but thank GOD i get so many good advices over here...thanx again.

cyc1op...i'd tried for the auto...but due to some restriction (I believe), the pictures also didn't turn out to our desire. I had read an article bout it...that is why those pro preferred manual. Anyway...still long journey for me to learn all these but thank GOD i get so many good advices over here...thanx again.

Dont worry about it.. I was like you when i first started off :)