Need Advice on Lens

Gunslinger

Feb 4, 2011
Hello all :) This is my first post here, and I'm admittedly still quite a newb at photography (although I've managed to glean some basics from reading online and books).

I've gotten a D7000 as my first camera, and it came with the 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens, and I also purchased a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, and both are performing quite well (for at least my amateur level of photography).

However, I'm thinking that I'm going to need a better, longer-ranged lens for further-range zoom, and I've been reading up on a few lenses..

1. AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

2. Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC

3. AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

Anyone could recommend, give suggestions if you've used these lenses before? I know that lenses 1 and 3 are 'superzooms' which are general-purpose but deliver relatively inferior image quality as a sacrifice for convenience, while lens 2 is a dedicated lens and at a lower cost, but with more bulk and inconvenience (for swapping out).

Thanks in advance for advice ^_^

Last edited:
DSLR is the concept of changing lens, use the right lens for the right purpose. What is your purpose? If your current lenses are performing well and satisfying I don't see the need for any of those lenses. You even mention their shortfalls. So what would be logical? Get a telephoto zoom for the focal length beyond your current lenses to compliment them, not to replace them. Don't be to picky about image quality, it needs pixel peeping to see the differences.

Gunslinger said:
Hello all :) This is my first post here, and I'm admittedly still quite a newb at photography (although I've managed to glean some basics from reading online and books).

I've gotten a D7000 as my first camera, and it came with the 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens, and I also purchased a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8, and both are performing quite well (for at least my amateur level of photography).

However, I'm thinking that I'm going to need a better, longer-ranged lens for further-range zoom, and I've been reading up on a few lenses..

1. AF-S DX VR Zoom-NIKKOR 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED

2. Tamron AF 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 Di II VC

3. AF-S VR Zoom-NIKKOR 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G IF-ED

Anyone could recommend, give suggestions if you've used these lenses before? I know that lenses 1 and 3 are 'superzooms' which are general-purpose but deliver relatively inferior image quality as a sacrifice for convenience, while lens 2 is a dedicated lens and at a lower cost, but with more bulk and inconvenience (for swapping out).

Thanks in advance for advice ^_^

I think you are mixed up, 1 and 2 are the all purpose lenses and 3 is a dedicated telephoto. Buy your lenses according to what you need and not what you think you want. What makes you feel you need a longer lens? 105mm is pretty long for general use.

I've gotten a D7000 as my first camera, and it came with the 18-105mm f3.5-5.6 kit lens, and I also purchased a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8

Any reason why got the 17-50 in addition to the kit lens when it's not quite necessary, given that you're just starting out?

Going to need = You don't need yet.

This, plus the above seems to suggest that you just have an obsession with buying new lenses that you do not need. Do yourself a favour and save your ang pao money.. :)

hi what's your budget?

If you dont need it, save the money. You can always spend later on something that you need :)

save your money for 70-200mm f/2.8 when you need it.

Last edited:
sell the kit lens, keep the tamron, and see if you need additional focal length.. most of the time, the additional focal legth can be "covered" by walking closer to the subject.. save the money for something else..

Yeah man, spend the money that you'll save from these advice, on better food after every photo trip. Good food makes a happy man.