Need Advice on Engagement

afiyy

Jul 19, 2010
Am using N d5000 with Kit Lens what advice can you give for me ? I wanted to rent an external flash in for my brother engagement . Is it a good idea ? Or what other alternatives can you recommend ? Dont worry , the girl side already have their own professional camera man cos I'm doing this to capture those happy moments on a family occasion .

Upppppuppp need advice

afiyy said:
Upppppuppp need advice

A kit lens with an external flash would be sufficient. Instead of renting one maybe you can consider purchasing one. Chances are, you will need it for future shoots as well

Generally event shooting in Singapore are mostly indoors and the lighting conditions are generally not that good.
D5000 is not known for good ISO performance and hence external flash is almost a must for shooting indoors. Even if you have D3s, generally people will still have external flash.
My recommendation is rent/get an external flash like SB600/700 and try it out but since you are not the main pg on that day, take note to not get in their way and don't use your flash without checking as it might affect their metering during critical moments. What I mean is when they are taking, your flash happens to fire at the same time and their images might be over-exposed. For some moments, there might not be a chance for them to re-take. So be mindful of that.

Sorry to hijack post. When using external flash, normally what the setting for white balance? Set according to indoor light condition or to "flash"? Thank

Sorry to hijack post. When using external flash, normally what the setting for white balance? Set according to indoor light condition or to "flash"? Thank

Just set to auto white balance and shoot in raw, you can always correct it during PP.

Just set to auto white balance and shoot in raw, you can always correct it during PP.

Pardon for asking say if I dun wanna do pp what would the recommended setting be?flash or auto?

Pardon for asking say if I dun wanna do pp what would the recommended setting be?flash or auto?

The easiest way if you do not want to PP is to use a colour gel and match the flash to the ambient light and do a custom white balance for the ambient light. The whole scene will come out "correct"

Depends on how 'precise' you want to be. The textbook way is to manually set your cam's WB to the ambient light, then apply an appropriate coloured gel to your flash so that its colour temp matches the ambient light. That's generally more trouble than most would care for.
You could shoot in RAW and adjust WB in PP, as spree86 said.
Or shoot in full Auto WB and hope for the best. Most restaurants, hotels and ballrooms use somewhat warm lighting, which is not that objectionable in photos. The foreground (lit mainly by flash) will be neutral, while the background (lit mainly by ambient lighting) goes warm. Ambient fluorescent lighting is not so good -- things go green.

Last edited:
How much marketprice to sell sb600/700 ?