Hi guys!!

Need advices on photography..
Im going for my frens engagement..
Im just wondering..
1. What lense to be using.
2. What shutter speed to set.
3. What appeture is good.
4. What iso is appropriate.
It will be held in the house during the day..

N if there anything else i should be aware of..

Thanks guys!! :)

-Rafael..

1) Try the search function for 'wedding', read .. read .. read ...
2) Tell your friend to get somebody professional. You really should not do it if you still need to ask such questions.
3) Take your cam and snap a bit around during the event, watch the professional, don't forget to enjoy.

Hmm actually if you are not the main. You can use any setting you like.

No fixed setting.

To me, an engagement is when the guy gets down on one knee and asks the girl to marry him.

I'm guessing you are referring to ROM? Then that's marriage already. The moment they sign, they are husband and wife.

There are about 500 threads asking for "what settings to use for wedding". The fact that you're asking means you're not really ready to risk this (hopefully) once-in-a-lifetime opportunity for your friend. I suggest you tell him to hire someone who knows what they are doing. No point risking a friendship just to save $$$.

Hi guys!!

Im just wondering..

-Rafael..

If you're asking all this... Set your camera to Auto. Seriously, it is impossible to give you advice since we do not know the lighting conditions, what lenses you own, what external flash you own, etc etc etc. This is where experience comes in - you need to develop the instinctive skills, and NOT in a situation that is once-in-a-lifetime.

Practice at home, on photoshoots, etc.

If you're asking all this... Set your camera to Auto. Seriously, it is impossible to give you advice since we do not know the lighting conditions, what lenses you own, what external flash you own, etc etc etc. This is where experience comes in - you need to develop the instinctive skills, and NOT in a situation that is once-in-a-lifetime.

Practice at home, on photoshoots, etc.

in short, learn how to adapt.

Hi guys!!

Im just wondering..

-Rafael..
please learn how to walk before you staring running,
if you need to ask such questions, clearly are not competent to shoot such events.

anywhere, you can set your camera to green mode, whack as many photos as you can, than study the photos you took, examine the exif data, you will know learn how use better exposure setting combination for particular scene.

and the very important thing you need to aware about is how would the couple respond if you did not get decent results of the engagement ceremony, if too much for them to bear, it is time to let them know now.
as a good friend, you need to help to solve problems, not creating problems.

Use good lenses of course!

Use the right shutter speed, as very important!

What is appeture? Maybe you mean aperture? Most are quite well made, as long as no oil on the blades.

Most ISO are appropriate, outdoor lower, indoor higher.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

A: if you need to zoom in, use long lens. If you need wide view, use wide lens.

A: fast enough not to go blur. Slow enough not to make the picture black.

Any aperture is good. What is appropriate for the shot you want, only you can tell by looking at the conditions and the effect you want to achieve.

They are all appropriate. Again, use what can get you the result you need based on the lighting conditions.

Sorry. There are no model fixed answers. If there are, everyone will be pro photographer by now.

The green bracket named AUTO is always right if you are clueless...

Haha hmm.. Kinda true.. Oh im new to this forum but thats for the advice onto look at wedding section..
N im a secondary cameraman.. Just wanna try out on it to learn n have fun.. Dont want to always rely on the "Green" dial.. Wanna try on the M dial instead haha.. *newbie :)
But Seriously.. U guys are a.w.e.some!!
Thanks again!!

Cheers!!
-Rafael..

What's so special about "M"? Later, when the couple gets the pictures, do you think they will drool over your "M" or rather be delighted about the results, regardless whatever setting, modes and lenses you have used? Keep in mind: you have to deliver results to the couple, that's the deal. Your personal fun with modes and dials is completely irrelevant here.

Okokok hehe chill... Like i said im going for my frens engagement.. N im like "the extra photographer.." Im not paid for this photography.. I know im inexperience n know nuts about this.. Im doing it for the experience n learning tips(trial n error) All i wanted was advices..
Sorry for the frust n confusion...

Sincerly..
Newbie.

Rafael Tribiyani said:
Okokok hehe chill... Like i said im going for my frens engagement.. N im like "the extra photographer.." Im not paid for this photography.. I know im inexperience n know nuts about this.. Im doing it for the experience n learning tips(trial n error) All i wanted was advices..
Sorry for the frust n confusion...

Sincerly..
Newbie.

Hi Rafael,

What they're trying to tell you is there is no magic formula. The things you asked are of case-to-case basis. Spend more time reading the stickies that our mods graciously put up for us newbies, and after you've absorbed all the info, go out and apply what you have learned. This is before going to that shoot so when that day comes, you are properly equipped--gear-wise and knowledge-wise.

Please don't take the comments personal. These guys are genuinely here to help--only if they see that you have tried helping yourself first.

Good luck.

Don't forget your composition too. Rule of thirds and just keep shooting. I for one don't have any proper education in photography just picked, read and saw them along the way. Practice, practice and more practice.

Just use your kit lens on this event. Goodluck.

Thank u..
:)

The most important advice for you, since you are the secondary shooter:

1. Never fight with the primary photographer for the shot. He/she has the right of way.

2. When primary photographer is taking group shot, lower your camera, or better still stay far away from the primary photographer. Why? when there are 2 person holding cameras to their eyes, the people will be confused which camera to look at. Even if the primary photographer shouts "Look at me", I can bet you have some eyes looking at the other photographer... thereby ruining the shot for BOTH photographers.

3. Always stay out of the view of the primary photographer. Get out of his shot. It is not good to see another photographer in the shots. As a secondary photographer, you must always be very very mindful of where the primary photographer is, and where his lens is pointing. As soon as you see your are within 100deg of the direction of his lens, move away.

4. Do not take the posed group photos, take the moments instead. Let the primary photographer take the important shots like group shots or table shots. As secondary, you should be moving around away from the main photographer, shooting moments and expressions of the people attending the wedding.

All in all these tips make you a better photographer, also help to avoid causing problems for the main photographer, as well as making sure the couple's big day photos are not jeopardized.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Hi guys!!

Im just wondering..

-Rafael..

There is no model answer....
As you can see from the replies before this, you haven't have learn any basics yet.

Look at the wedding photos you can find online with exif data.
This will allow you to have some idea what settings to use.
However, it is still not not enough as ambient light varies and situation varies.
you can practice shooting in your own house of your family members and do street photography to get used to a dynamic situation.

Oh wow.. I learn something good.. Thanks.. I really apreciate ur help.. I didnt even really knew about this issue..
Thanks.. Allot of thanks.. :))

I rather you don't use "Auto". set to Aperture and adjust from there. if indoor, use a flash...what Daredevil123 say is very true, I often see backup photographers blocking the main photographer, I had 1 experience shooting a church wedding, and 1 woman from the audience use an "ipad", stand on the stage and video the couple, blocking me and my friend who was also shooting that day.