Need advice on dry cabi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridicule

Jan 23, 2006
East
Hi Hi...Happy Lunar New Year everyone...

I've not gotten a DSLR yet...thkin of gettin one. One of the things on my mind is 2 oso get a dry cabi. A fren of mine told me to get an analog instead of digital, as he said how often do you actually need to toggle the settings?

Questions questions aplenty...pls bear wif me...

1) Apart from convenience of usage, does it justify paying the Xtra costs of a digital vs an analog dry cabi? Sorri kinda "green" with the pricing too.

2) Heard of Digi Cabi brand, what are the other reputable brands I can consider?

3) And do reputable shops like MS, CP, John...etc carry variety of dry cabi brands or they only deal with specific brands.

4) Thking of getting 40L or 60L...so can store othr stuffs like CDs.

Pls hlp to give some insight. Thanks.

Ridicule said:
Hi Hi...Happy Lunar New Year everyone...

I've not gotten a DSLR yet...thkin of gettin one. One of the things on my mind is 2 oso get a dry cabi. A fren of mine told me to get an analog instead of digital, as he said how often do you actually need to toggle the settings?

Questions questions aplenty...pls bear wif me...

1) Apart from convenience of usage, does it justify paying the Xtra costs of a digital vs an analog dry cabi? Sorri kinda "green" with the pricing too.

2) Heard of Digi Cabi brand, what are the other reputable brands I can consider?

3) And do reputable shops like MS, CP, John...etc carry variety of dry cabi brands or they only deal with specific brands.

4) Thking of getting 40L or 60L...so can store othr stuffs like CDs.

Pls hlp to give some insight. Thanks.

1) Digital or analog both are fine.

2) Amipro is good brand too.

3)Try not to put other staff in the box as each kind of equipment have it own setting.

Hope this help...;)

Ridicule said:
Apart from convenience of usage, does it justify paying the Xtra costs of a digital vs an analog dry cabi?

actually, i do not think a digital is any more convenient than an analog... :)

Zaknafein said:

:thumbsup:

the lcd doesnt seem able to serve me for years and on..

Thanks guys for the replies. Did a search and found: http://www.digihub.com.sg

1) Need to ask further...so basically Digi-Cabi has 2 main types of models?
The "HD series" (analog) & the "DHC series" (digital)? Are there any more series?

2) Read that Digi-Cabi can be bought @ Carrefour & the camera shop along the way to Carrefour- any where else selling Digi-Cabi?

Zaknafein said:

IMO, I find the digital is more convenient coz you only need to set it to the RH you want.
Unlike the analogue version which is a open circuit (digital is a closed feedback loop), you need to tune the knob until you get a correct RH you want. (Trial and error involved initially)

I have bought one from Cathay but the price seems to be quite expensive.

Are there cheaper models elsewhere? Which are the shops that carry them?

JSNG said:
I have bought one from Cathay but the price seems to be quite expensive.

Are there cheaper models elsewhere? Which are the shops that carry them?

What brand / model you bought?
Cathay carries their house brand Akurui which is relatively pricey IMO.

I feel that Digicabi is the best value for money Dry Cabinet around.

i m confused already...do u mean there's difference between digicabi and akurui ones?
wats the difference?

I bought one from Tangs. Not sure about brand name. I came with 5 year warranty. I had it for more than 5 years without problem. After the initial setting, you rarely have to set anything. No need for digital. The more complex it is, the more stuff will go wrong:)

I'd advise buying a bigger one for all the upgrades;p

There is no difference in the digital or analog version. Mine is a digi-cabi.
You may want to wait until they have exhibition, might be cheaper. :dunno:
And yes, get the biggest you can afford. Always run out of space. :bsmilie:

u can try getting one from carrefour.. i got my digi-cabi (60 L) from the carrefour at PS for 167 bucks.. they deliver it to ur place on the next day for free as well :D

i wanna get a dhc-040......digitalpoint at suntec no longer carries them as i called him on it........so where can i view this? any place i can get it?

rTwin said:
u can try getting one from carrefour.. i got my digi-cabi (60 L) from the carrefour at PS for 167 bucks.. they deliver it to ur place on the next day for free as well :D

I myself looking for a dry cabi...passed by Carrefour Suntec. Saw e followin...30L ($97), 60L ($167), 80L ($208) 100L ($258)...thk all AD model--except 30L model is dunnoe wat 36 model.

Display is digital, tuning have to open door and turn the knob. Asked sales person- said if above $150, they will deliver to ur hse.

(PS. hope I gt the model & pricing above right ...sorri if incorrect, as tis is wat I remembered).

Wonder will any MO for dry cabi be done soon, or it will be done closer to the exhibition in March?

Just want to share, I have not got the "real" dry cabi yet, but what I did was, I bought Lock&Lock Air tight food container :sweat: , the 10L, put 500mg of silica gel in it and presto: done!:sweatsm: 10 L container fit for my eos300d body, one 17-40mm f/4L lens, 2 batteries, 3 filters, several cf cards and 1 lens kit. Cheap solution but i'm not sure whether this one is recommended or not :nono:

rgds,

Bonifas

That is fine only that you must beat the forget-to-change-gels syndrom.
Also, cannot set the humidity range.
:)

bonifas said:
Just want to share, I have not got the "real" dry cabi yet, but what I did was, I bought Lock&Lock Air tight food container :sweat: , the 10L, put 500mg of silica gel in it and presto: done!:sweatsm: 10 L container fit for my eos300d body, one 17-40mm f/4L lens, 2 batteries, 3 filters, several cf cards and 1 lens kit. Cheap solution but i'm not sure whether this one is recommended or not :nono:

rgds,

Bonifas

urs considered "high tech" compared to my current setup...
i using a tupperware big size one and air tight to keep the cam + lens and i put quite a large quantity of silica gel inside..
shouldnt dry up my cam becos i play with the cam everyday :)

Hoky said:
IMO, I find the digital is more convenient coz you only need to set it to the RH you want.
Unlike the analogue version which is a open circuit (digital is a closed feedback loop), you need to tune the knob until you get a correct RH you want. (Trial and error involved initially)
IMHO, dry cab have several version:
- Dry cab with analog humidity display.
- Dry cab with digital humidity display.
- Dry cab with digital humidity display and humidity control (pro series).

So, digital one is not always have closed feedback loop control. It is only digital display for humidity. Only Dry Cab pro series have feedback control (and of course more expensive).

Regards,
Arto.

bonifas said:

rgds,

Bonifas
Just want to let you know, while the silica gel is not poisonous (Sodium Silicate), the blue colour for humidity indication in silica gel is Cobalt Chloride, known as carcinogen:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silica_gel

Regards,
Arto.

Andy Ang said:
That is fine only that you must beat the forget-to-change-gels syndrom.
Also, cannot set the humidity range.
:)
Buy dry cab for peace of mind.....

It is expensive things you brought already, why don't spend some money for dry cab?

Regards,
Arto.

Status
Not open for further replies.