Need advice on compensation after car accident

Status
Not open for further replies.

red_ryder

Jun 23, 2003
Visit site
Never been in a car accident before, so not sure what to do now. My car hit a Nissan Latio in the CTE from behind, he was stationary and I jammed brake but still kiss backside. His rear bumper got scratches. small dents and slightly out of alignment. My front license plate badly damaged but that's ok. So after exchanging personal info, what next? The Nissan driver also don't know what to do because he was driving his brother's car.

Do we automatically involve insurance? That will increase premiums right? If the other driver insists on insurance, does that mean I must also follow? If we settle this with cash, roughly how much should I compensate him? Don't want to be cheated. His Latio looks quite new, SGF plate.

red_ryder said:
Never been in a car accident before, so not sure what to do now. My car hit a Nissan Latio in the CTE from behind, he was stationary and I jammed brake but still kiss backside. His rear bumper got scratches. small dents and slightly out of alignment. My front license plate badly damaged but that's ok. So after exchanging personal info, what next? The Nissan driver also don't know what to do because he was driving his brother's car.

Do we automatically involve insurance? That will increase premiums right? If the other driver insists on insurance, does that mean I must also follow? If we settle this with cash, roughly how much should I compensate him? Don't want to be cheated. His Latio looks quite new, SGF plate.

normally respray plus some minor touch ups will not be more than 1k (normally alot less) for his backside... but depends if he 'suay kuan' anot, to ask to compensate his transportation.

anything more than 1k then u claim insurance, then do yours at the same time...

find out how much it costs to fix the problems and pay that amount + a little bit for his trouble.

if it involves insurance then your premiums will go up and also your NCD will become 0%
so for small matters with low cost settle with cash

ortega said:
if it involves insurance then your premiums will go up and also your NCD will become 0% so for small matters with low cost settle with cash

yup... private settlement best (if amount is affordable). make sure to have a black & white that it's a private settlement though... wait he come and look for u after everything settled and ask for more $$...

i kenna with taxi... :cry:

Best if you can get a quote from a workshop you are familiar with or else if you ask the other party to source for repairs, you might get an inflated quote. Good luck

to avoid kena chop,

1. ask him to send to a car repair shop u frequent...if not at least one tat a good fren know's well.
2. ask the shop to evaluate the damages
3. if not too ex, then u ask the shop to fix and u pay the shop. The end.
4. if ex (normally > than the estimated loss of NCD plus increased premium) then claim insurance by sending in to a authorized workshop by the insurer and they will settle the rest. The end.

From your description, i think the damages wouldn't be over 500-600. So better to settle urself.
Hope this helps.

settle private lah

his respray will cost you at most $200 or less

scratches only right? some dents?

no holes no cracks?

cheap

He wants to send to Tan Chong Motors for inspection and quote because it is a new car. I can't stop him right? Probably going to end up insurance claim. Best I can hope for is Tan Chong doesn't inflate the cost too much.

depends
you can ask him to go quote first

and settle on cash terms

mmay cost $1000

if i were you, i may pay $1000

reason. my excess is $950... and i will lose my no claim bonus?!

so $1000 or even $1000+ i may consider cash terms

please check with your agent on your excess:) and the current ncb status and ask them advice you

since you came from behind, the car infront confirm will claim in full...

also, TCM confirm inflate the price unless you can get contacts inside to "talk talk"

alternatively

get him to discuss with you, send to TCM for quote and then send to AMK industrial 2 for service+repair+polish+leather clean up everything lah.... hehehe $200~ can be done... [if your scratches are really light lor]

Go tan chong, you sure pay unlike your nose bleed. Dont mean to scare you but a few K. Why? Cos Tan chong will tell him to replace the whole bumper. best tell him to help, beg if you have too. say got family prob etc lah. And do it at workshop. Guarantee good one. Helps if you get a workshop that does branded cars.

This job wont cost more than 500 at a workshop. The last time that happened to me. I kanna bang. The guy paid 250 to the workshop to replace the broken pin and repaint.

His car only got minor damage, scratches and small dent on rear bumper, and the rear bumper a bit out of alignment. Just to give you an idea, my corolla no damage except for the license plate.

But because it is a new car, the guy wants to send to Tan Chong mechanics to get a quote and repair. He claims that servicing the car anywhere else will void his warranty. Is that true?

He's also saying things like his car boot cannot close properly now, need to change whole bumper and top and bottom spoilers also must change because bumper change. Sounds ridiculous, but what can I do?

Sigh...this is going to cost me a bomb. Suay man, hit a new car.

red_ryder said:
His car only got minor damage, scratches and small dent on rear bumper, and the rear bumper a bit out of alignment. Just to give you an idea, my corolla no damage except for the license plate.

But because it is a new car, the guy wants to send to Tan Chong mechanics to get a quote and repair. He claims that servicing the car anywhere else will void his warranty. Is that true?

He's also saying things like his car boot cannot close properly now, need to change whole bumper and top and bottom spoilers also must change because bumper change. Sounds ridiculous, but what can I do?

hmm kinda true lah, to illustrate a case i have now...

my car now in workshop for a very mysterious case, the inner metal of my car got dented, but my external front bumper got no scratch or anything, and that dent cause the radiator & stuff to damage, and might be a prolong case, so now i have fork out own pocket money to repair the damage...

problem is i scratched my car on the other side previously, send to my mechanic, got a new fender & headlight, but bumper untouched, and i change it about 2 months ago, day b4, my car overheat, with smoke coming out, so send back, then they said i bang my car, but they checked that the bumper is original and not resprayed nor damaged... so they blame the external mechanic... but mechanic say they din take out the bumper, so now dunno lor, either i got a faulty car, or the car damage during the other repair, anyway lugi money... and now changing the metal also... sad... all bear by owner...

red_ryder said:

oh ya, there are such ppl around lah, anyway drivers all the same, even if their fault also never admit, and when anybody hit their backside, everything also claim liao, but i diff, my last car kena bang backside, we just let go lor, not serious, got a big dent only.

hmmm he wanna send to TCM? then he got go to IDAC to report or not? change so many things?

[better be quick cos got wind that idac closing down soon]

idac will take a look at the situation and "agar agar" the extend of repair

slooow said:
hmmm he wanna send to TCM? then he got go to IDAC to report or not? change so many things?

[better be quick cos got wind that idac closing down soon]

idac will take a look at the situation and "agar agar" the extend of repair

idac closing? then who else take over?

The car I was driving is registered under my parent's name, and so is the insurance. If I claim third party insurance to pay for the guy's damages, will this affect my insurance premiums / NCD if I buy a new car in the future? Because I am listed as the driver at the time of the accident, will the insurance companies charge me higher premiums when I buy a car next time?

red_ryder said:
The car I was driving is registered under my parent's name, and so is the insurance. If I claim third party insurance to pay for the guy's damages, will this affect my insurance premiums / NCD if I buy a new car in the future? Because I am listed as the driver at the time of the accident, will the insurance companies charge me higher premiums when I buy a car next time?

oh dear.... did your parents named you as one of the additional driver or 'named driver' of the policy ? If not, you have to pay 'extra' even if you are claiming insurance for your own damages ..... :sweat:

But what about future car purchases? Will it affect my insurance charges in the future?

It may because some new insurance forms ask you to declare if you have been in an accident within the last x years before.

red_ryder said:
But what about future car purchases? Will it affect my insurance charges in the future?

Del_CtrlnoAlt said:
oh ya, there are such ppl around lah, anyway drivers all the same, even if their fault also never admit, and when anybody hit their backside, everything also claim liao, but i diff, my last car kena bang backside, we just let go lor, not serious, got a big dent only.
Rule of thumb... if wanna bang backside, choose Del_CtrlnoAlt's car :bsmilie: j/k hor ;p

anyway, yes to repaint bumper only about $200+

Status
Not open for further replies.