Need advice on Cokin GND

Cashmere

Nov 24, 2008
Central
Hi guys,

I'm buying GND filters for Tokina 11-16 for my DX camera.
I've googled and searched and I'm kinda confused..
I read that to avoid vignetting, u need to buy a wide filter holder? (I didn't know there's many types)
It's my first time buying a square filter so I hope you'll be patient with me..

- Are the Cokin P filters suitable for this lens? Or do I need the X-Pro series?
- How about the 3 slots Cokin P series filter holder? Will it cause vignetting?

Please do advise me on what to buy that's suitable for this lens + body.

Many thanks!

Hi guys,

I read that to avoid vignetting, u need to buy a wide filter holder? (I didn't know there's many types)

- Are the Cokin P filters suitable for this lens? Or do I need the X-Pro series?

Many thanks!

For T11-16, you need the X- Pro series(15mm onwards for 35mm format). I think it only comes with max 2 slots. :)

Hi guys,

Many thanks!

There are only 2 types. Wide angle and normal one and yes you need wide angle.
3lots you will probably get some vignetting at the wide end of your lens. Do take note that if you are using UV filter, you might need to remove it because the additional length due to the UV filter will add to the vignetting.

If you are buying Cokin, why not go down Cathay photo to try them?

For T11-16, you need the X- Pro series(15mm onwards for 35mm format). I think it only comes with max 2 slots. :)

you don't need.

p series comes with a UWA holder, holds only one filter slot.

works with 10mm and aps-c format quite well.

3lots you will probably get some vignetting at the wide end of your lens. Do take note that if you are using UV filter, you might need to remove it because the additional length due to the UV filter will add to the vignetting.

not just probably get some vignetting.

3 slot holder, you can SEE the holder in your viewfinder.

yea.. i bought it without doing enough homework and i cannot use it at 10mm on my Sigma :cry:

hold the filter infront of the lens without the use of the holder. much faster than sliding the filters in and out. haa

hold the filter infront of the lens without the use of the holder. much faster than sliding the filters in and out. haa

works for short exposures.

for anything above 10 seconds, and using UWA, have fun!

you don't need.

OIC. My bad. :lovegrin:

Thanks guys for the replies... :)
I knew something would be wrong..
I went to CP yesterday and told him I wanted GND, filter and ring for the Tokina 11-16.
He gave me the Cokin P filter 3 stop GND, others no stock..
I asked if I needed the X-pro series.. He said no need.
Also gave me a 3 slot filter holder and a 77mm ring..
No B+W ND110 in stock either (out of topic)...

So I guess I need to change the holder and filter?
Do you think they'll accept exchange? If not I have to put it up on sale.. :dunno:

Noted.. Thanks! :)

I did... Above was what happened.. :confused:

you don't need.

Ok, so ur saying the P filter I got is sufficient for the lens?
Noted.. So I guess I need to change the holder then.. Thanks! :)

I went to CP yesterday and told him I wanted GND, filter and ring for the Tokina 11-16.

Do you think they'll accept exchange? If not I have to put it up on sale.. :dunno:

You can

1) buy a single slot holder (with or without selling the 3 slot holder)
2) hand hold the GND (for short exposures)
3) modify the 3 slot into a single slot holder, cut the holder at the middle of the 2nd slot and sandpaper off the excess.

you don't need.

Not for the Tokina 11-16 bro. The Cokin UWA P holder will work ok up to 12mm (stopped down) only on a Tokina 11-16/Nikon Body. 11mm will show vignetting. I think this is something to do with the construction of the lens. I am not sure if it will be fine on Canon as Canon's crop factor is 1.6 instead.

Good to hear that it works ok on your Sigma 10-20 at 10mm.

And also TS. X-pro holder is for 130mm wide filters. Not the right size for you.

What you need is the Cokin Z-pro holder which takes 100mm wide filters. Or you can get the Hitech 100mm holder or the Lee foundation holder. All these are 100mm filter holders. Z-pro and Lee holders, you can configure how many slots you want (removable). Hitech 100mm holder comes with 3 slots.

Last edited:

If you want to move to the larger 100mm filters, you need to return the holder, the adapter ring and the filter. Ask for the Z-pro filter holder. adapter ring and filters, not X-pro. Or you can buy the Lee foundation kit and adapter ring from CP (over $200). Or you can walk over to Funan, and buy the Lee set or Hitech holder/ring (around $200) from TK Foto. For filters, you can use Cokin Z-pro, Lee filters or Hitech filters.

If you are staying with 85mm (P series) filters, you need to exchange the holder for a single slot Wide Angle P holder. The 3stop GND is actually quite difficult to get as CP is always out of stock. If you can live with shooting at 12mm, I recommend you keep it.

Last edited:
If you want to move to the larger 100mm filters, you need to return the holder, the adapter ring and the filter. Ask for the Z-pro filter holder. adapter ring and filters, not X-pro. Or you can buy the Lee foundation kit and adapter ring from CP (over $200). Or you can walk over to Funan, and buy the Lee set or Hitech holder/ring (around $200) from TK Foto. For filters, you can use Cokin Z-pro, Lee filters or Hitech filters.

If you are staying with 85mm (P series) filters, you need to exchange the holder for a single slot Wide Angle P holder. The 3stop GND is actually quite difficult to get as CP is always out of stock. If you can live with shooting at 12mm, I recommend you keep it.

Bro, I read this msg too late uh..
I went down to CP yesterday and changed to the wide angle holder redi.
I guess I'll just try it out first and see what's gonna happen.
Anyway, I've gotten myself the 3 stop GND that same day.. :)
No stock for 2 stops though.
Thanks for the advice.. Will eperiment for the time being but it will really help for my next purchase.. :)

Ok, I've tried them....
Vignetting at 11mm and perfect only at 13mm. (I still can see some at 12mm).
This is so frustrating..
Been going up and down CP for the past few days.
I think the ppl at CP also "sian" see my face too many times.. lol!
I dont understand about 85mm.. Are you referring to the diameter?
The biggest I have right now is 77mm.
So, are you saying I should get the Z pro series set and it's the perfect one for me?
The holder will be able to fit all my other zoom lenses right?
If so, I wouldn't need too many holders if I need the Z one..

Ok, I've tried them....
Vignetting at 11mm and perfect only at 13mm. (I still can see some at 12mm).
This is so frustrating..
Been going up and down CP for the past few days.
I think the ppl at CP also "sian" see my face too many times.. lol!
I dont understand about 85mm.. Are you referring to the diameter?
The biggest I have right now is 77mm.
So, are you saying I should get the Z pro series set and it's the perfect one for me?
The holder will be able to fit all my other zoom lenses right?
If so, I wouldn't need too many holders if I need the Z one..

When I say 85mm, I am refer to the width of the square filters. If you go Z-pro, it is 100mm.

At 12mm focal length, a little vignette can still be seen. But you can reduce that effect by stopping down your aperture. You are supposed to be using small apertures when taking landscape anyway. Also, you can also do slight cropping in PP or if you are more advanced, you can do vignette recovery. Still very usable. I used my cokin P filters for quite sometime before I switched to the very much more expensive 100mm filters.

When I say 85mm, I am refer to the width of the square filters. If you go Z-pro, it is 100mm.

At 12mm focal length, a little vignette can still be seen. But you can reduce that effect by stopping down your aperture. You are supposed to be using small apertures when taking landscape anyway. Also, you can also do slight cropping in PP or if you are more advanced, you can do vignette recovery. Still very usable. I used my cokin P filters for quite sometime before I switched to the very much more expensive 100mm filters.

Aaah... I see... I will hold on to it first and will be testing it soon.
I think I'll know more after that.
Thanks so much for your help and advises..
Thanks to all those who replied as well..
Really appreciate it.. :)