need advice on choosing DC for Portrait

Status
Not open for further replies.

notone

Nov 12, 2003
biopolis
it seems my compact one can not satisfy me for portrait shoots any longer. considering to get a better one, major use is for portrait shoots to record family/friend events esp kids. budget is less than $1500 for a complete package(include extra batt and memory card and so on). cheaper, better. please consider me as one of the common newbies coz I am:)
any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

notone said:
it seems my compact one can not satisfy me for portrait shoots any longer. considering to get a better one, major use is for portrait shoots to record family/friend events esp kids. budget is less than $1500 for a complete package(include extra batt and memory card and so on). cheaper, better. please consider me as one of the common newbies coz I am:)
any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

wrong place to put this question. try newbie section.

One of the best things about ClubSnap is the for sale section. Go there and see if you can find yourself a secondhand Canon 300D - complete kits should be going for about $1200 or so these days! :eyes:

If you can afford it, try to stretch your budget to accomodate a Nikon D70. It's a better camera. Or better yet, if you can find a secondhand D70 (very rare at the moment because the camera is so new!) you should GRAB IT.

there's still one on sale... i dun remember who selling... but that D70 has 6000+ shutter count... that's the D70 for sale...

Nebies to digital or to photography? (as in don't shoot much or own a SLR before your compact digital)

Shooting family events espeically kids running around is quite challenging for any digital point and shoot due to shutter lag. So you notice some had already suggested Dslr.

But to get good shoots of yr family members mean carrying your camera most of the time, are you prepared to do that? :dunno:

let us know before more advice will come in. :)

first sorry to post my thread in a wrong place.
secondly thanks for all your replies.

I had a minolta film SLR 6-7 years ago, but did shoot much then passed it to my brother. afterthat I've always used compact cam, film and digi, also not shoot much. so consider myself as a newby lo. not so interested in DSLR coz lens cost a lot and maintaince trouble, but if image quality is much better than those 8m pix ones, glad to get too.

three reason to get a new one: 1 recently went through privious photos and found bad:) comparing to those post here; 2 baby is coming (so not so worry about "running around " now); while 3 suddenly found my parents are old when father in hospital, thanks god he is fine now, but I was shocked when I noticed their faces---have not paid attentain to them all those years so now not too late to catch up, right? cherish memories by record with wonderful photos. so first get a good cam for a good start, then skill and experience.
now more advice please!

notone said:
first sorry to post my thread in a wrong place.
secondly thanks for all your replies.

I had a minolta film SLR 6-7 years ago, but did shoot much then passed it to my brother. afterthat I've always used compact cam, film and digi, also not shoot much. so consider myself as a newby lo. not so interested in DSLR coz lens cost a lot and maintaince trouble, but if image quality is much better than those 8m pix ones, glad to get too.

three reason to get a new one: 1 recently went through privious photos and found bad:) comparing to those post here; 2 baby is coming (so not so worry about "running around " now); while 3 suddenly found my parents are old when father in hospital, thanks god he is fine now, but I was shocked when I noticed their faces---have not paid attentain to them all those years so now not too late to catch up, right? cherish memories by record with wonderful photos. so first get a good cam for a good start, then skill and experience.
now more advice please!

olympus c-4000. only $450 2nd hand and has a superb 96mm f2.8 lens, ideal for portraits. small size but not ultra-compact. has full manual overrides for creative control over ur shots.

:cool:

it seems good, but would consider one better:)
looking someone among 300d, pro1, 8700, 8080, A2 to 5700, A1, s7000, G5.
how is s7000? a friend using s602 recommend. say comparing s7000 with 5700?
thanks

notone said:
it seems good, but would consider one better:)
looking someone among 300d, pro1, 8700, 8080, A2 to 5700, A1, s7000, G5.
how is s7000? a friend using s602 recommend. say comparing s7000 with 5700?
thanks

among all u have quoted, go for the 300D. none of the rest can match the DSLR for image quality.

If you are considering s7000, something about the same size I recommend will be minolta a2. Why? in further if need to get flashlight for indoor shots easier to master and cheapest if you want to try wireless flash system.

Flashlight is good for for fill-in to capture indoor events/gathering.

As for Dslr... it's a system. Both 300d and d70 are a good START. and then you will want to add to it...lenses, tripod, camera bag, flashes.... no end. ;p

If prefer smaller size... get a canon g3 / g5 for the f2.0 lens. I'm using c4040 for the f1.8 lens.

Shoot more, to cherish those precious memories.

Unless you have a SPECIFIC reason to go for a "prosumer" P&S (like the Pro1 or 8700) you should definitely get the D70/300D. The ONLY reason I would opt for one of those higher end P&S cameras is size and silence. With every other criteria, an entry level DSLR beats it hands down.

Status
Not open for further replies.