Need Advice On buying D40

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zhiliang

Dec 20, 2006
Serangoon
Hi,

I am currently using a prosumer camera in the Fujifilm S6500fd. Having the idea to get a DSLR but not willing to spend too much on a more expensive one, i was just wondering, is there a huge difference between features, image quality, lens between my prosumer and the D40 which is a entry level DSLR, that its worth upgrading to that? Thanks

Zhiliang

Hi,

I am currently using a prosumer camera in the Fujifilm S6500fd. Having the idea to get a DSLR but not willing to spend too much on a more expensive one, i was just wondering, is there a huge difference between features, image quality, lens between my prosumer and the D40 which is a entry level DSLR, that its worth upgrading to that? Thanks

Zhiliang

If you do not want to spend too much, you can consider a 2nd hand one which is quite reasonable. You can consider the D50 or D70s for Nikon, 300D or 350D for Canon, KM 5D for Konica Minolta, there are a few others which you may want to consider. Do a search and you must first know what you want and what you need.

If you do not want to spend too much, you can consider a 2nd hand one which is quite reasonable. You can consider the D50 or D70s for Nikon, 300D or 350D for Canon, KM 5D for Konica Minolta, there are a few others which you may want to consider. Do a search and you must first know what you want and what you need.

Which means, there isnt too much difference in those 2 models after all that is worth upgrading? Actually i am looking for one that has at least a LCD screen of 2.5".

Zhiliang, may I ask if have outgrown your S6500FD already? Your camera already has a lot of function similar to a DSLR. I would suggest you make full use of it first, until you think you need a better camera because of the current's limitation, then think of upgrading. DSLR will become better and cheaper in the coming future. Upgrade only when you think your time is ripe. Don't do it because everybody else around you are carrying one.

Which means, there isnt too much difference in those 2 models after all that is worth upgrading? Actually i am looking for one that has at least a LCD screen of 2.5".

Is it only the 2.5" LCD that you want? There are a lot of PnS that offers 2.5" LCD or even 3.0" LCD now. Know what you want first. Your current prosumer is already very good. Getting a dSLR is not just the cam alone, you are buying into the whole system. Think of the cost involved before jumping in.

D40 certainly is able to produce better looking shots straight out of the camera in comparison to D50 or D70s

D40 also has better noise control which is certainly a good plus

only major problem for D40 is its lack of an AF motor drive which means you won't be able to AF on older lenses without built-in motors. If you asked me personally, i would say the advantages D40 far outweighs its disadvantages.

For that kind of money ($930 incl. tax), i doubt you'll be able to get anything better =)

Zhiliang, may I ask if have outgrown your S6500FD already? Your camera already has a lot of function similar to a DSLR. I would suggest you make full use of it first, until you think you need a better camera because of the current's limitation, then think of upgrading. DSLR will become better and cheaper in the coming future. Upgrade only when you think your time is ripe. Don't do it because everybody else around you are carrying one.

what if the time is "ripe" now? ^^

sometimes we cannot force our own opinions or views on certain issues down someone else's throats, none of us probably knows exactly why the TS desires a dSLR, therefore as fellow adults, respect one another's choices.

dSLR will always become better and cheaper, if based on that logic, shouldnt one wait for an eternity for the absolute pinnacle of dSLRs? ^^

what if the time is "ripe" now? ^^

sometimes we cannot force our own opinions or views on certain issues down someone else's throats, none of us probably knows exactly why the TS desires a dSLR, therefore as fellow adults, respect one another's choices.

dSLR will always become better and cheaper, if based on that logic, shouldnt one wait for an eternity for the absolute pinnacle of dSLRs? ^^

Think the idea is making sure that you know how to maximize current cam's capabilities before moving on to next level.. =D

If not BBB eventually you buy D40 then you find out that it isn't the pinnacle then you dump it and buy again and again and again.. It never ends too! =D

Is it only the 2.5" LCD that you want? There are a lot of PnS that offers 2.5" LCD or even 3.0" LCD now. Know what you wnat first. Your current prosumer is already very good. Getting dSLRs are not just the cam alone, you are buying into he whole system. Think of the cost involved before jumping in.

theres a whole world of difference between PnS and dSLRs, i would believe that the TS knows exactly what he is looking for.

The costs involved only escalates in accordance to your desires.

Think the idea is making sure that you know how to maximize current cam's capabilities before moving on to next level.. =D

If not BBB eventually you buy D40 then you find out that it isn't the pinnacle then you dump it and buy again and again and again.. It never ends too! =D

Yeap! but thats an individual's choice too! afterall we're all adults and we know how to manage our own funds ^^

I'm not sure if the time is ripe for Zhiliang. I think you don't too. He has to decide. I think there are people who envy too much the DSLR (I'm becoming one myself), but maybe, S6500FD being such a new camera, Zhiliang may not have spent enough time with it. I'm just proposing to him that he may like to spend more time with it before upgrading. I would not want to decide for Zhiliang whether the time is ripe or not.

Hi,

Zhiliang

Just my 2cents worth.

The short answer is yes, there is a HUGE difference. The reason is because DSLR has a much larger sensor than even the most high end prosumer compact camera, even if the DSLR is only 6.1MP, compared to the compact with 8MP.

With a larger sensor, DSLRs are faster in capturing light, etc, so the most entry level DSLR will still be better than the most high end compact.

If u don't mind the smaller LCD, D50 is going for $799 with kit lens at some places. Search this forum to find out more. Reason I would recommend D50 is because older lenses during the film SLR era can autofocus with D50, but not D40. The older lenses will work with D40, but no autofocus, only manual focus. The DX (developed for Nikon DSLRs) lenses are very expensive, and getting D40 cheaply now is just postponing the cost to later.

I am a also a non DSLR user at the moment-using a cannon S3 IS. At the time when i made a choice to buy this camera i was very tempt by the DSLR sector but considering other factor i end up buying the S3 IS. Reasons are as follow:
1) it is much cheaper than the DSLR
2) it is easier to mantain than DSLR
3) current prosumer cam can produce as good images as some DSLR
4) they have a very good lens range wich will be very expensive for a DSLR system
5) they have a live view mode which DSLR other than the E300
6) it is lighter to carry around.

I think you should get to know your cam first.Anyway Photography is not about the equiment you use but the eye for the photo that you want to shoot.

GIVe your poor camera a Chance:)

Thank you everyone for the advices. Actually i have been using my S6500fd for only less than two months. Have tried out much of the functions inside and i have some concerns. Again all these are only my own opinions, and they may not be necessarily true. Forgive me if i am wrong. These are some of the factors that prompt me to want to try out a DSLR.

1. The sharpness of the pictures. For example, taking night shots on a reliable tripod and with timer, but the picture quality seems to lack the detail and fineness of some of the photos taken on a DSLR.

2. The short focal length of my camera. I think its about 6.2-66mm plus or around there which makes short depth of field difficult unless i go really near to the subject and when i am at the end of my 10.7 times zoom.

3. The lack of depth of field preview.

4. No image stabalizer on my camera.

5. Would like to have a camera that does a bit of post processing like the Nikon features of filters, D-lighting etc. on the camera.

6. A optical viewfinder instead of the EVF on mine now.

7. Slow focusing and also slow taking of continunous burst shots.

My main concerns are actually the first 2 points. Other than that, i believe my S6500fd serves quite many purposes. The thing i am wondering on is the image performance that is different on my prosumer as compared to the entry-level DSLR. Is there a wide gap between the image quality?

But of course, there come the other cons of the DSLR like the cost of additional lens, the maintenance needed as compared to a fixed lens, the weight. I would like to get the Nikon D80 but it is still a little costly for me on investing on a new hobby as yet.

Thanks so much

You are right in that. Thats why the hesitation in going into DSLR. Dont really want to invest in a camera that makes almost no difference to what i have now.

Is it only the 2.5" LCD that you want? There are a lot of PnS that offers 2.5" LCD or even 3.0" LCD now. Know what you want first. Your current prosumer is already very good. Getting a dSLR is not just the cam alone, you are buying into the whole system. Think of the cost involved before jumping in.

Haha, the LCD size is only something cosmetic and external. I love big screens :embrass:

D40 certainly is able to produce better looking shots straight out of the camera in comparison to D50 or D70s

D40 also has better noise control which is certainly a good plus

only major problem for D40 is its lack of an AF motor drive which means you won't be able to AF on older lenses without built-in motors. If you asked me personally, i would say the advantages D40 far outweighs its disadvantages.

For that kind of money ($930 incl. tax), i doubt you'll be able to get anything better =)

Really? Thought the D50 and D70 are pretty good too. Does it means that if i buy a D40, the lens availible for it is pretty limited and costly? Is it the same for D80? Yes its certainly a good price for a DSLR. Do you know the D40's image performance?

I am also very tempted by the price of D40 too. Whether the limited lens is a problem depends on how you will use your camera. If you're likely a 1-lens man (i.e., 1 zoom lens for all purpose, just like your S6500), then it's a no-issue. But if you think you'll likely buy a few lenses, then D40 will give you limitation in the choice of lens. Image quality of DSLR is definitely better than S6500, but is it so much better that you can't stand the quality of S6500? If most of your photos are printed 4R or 5R, I doubt the difference is noticable. For depth of field, only post-processing will do to achieve that of DSLR. Prosumers also have some functions that DSLR do not have, like having a video cam in a still cam, live preview, etc. For the speed of DSLR, how often do you need such speed, considering that the S6500 is also not slow? All these factors are putting off my decision for now, as I still can live with my prosumer, with some limitation.

I am also very tempted by the price of D40 too. Whether the limited lens is a problem depends on how you will use your camera. If you're likely a 1-lens man (i.e., 1 zoom lens for all purpose, just like your S6500), then it's a no-issue. But if you think you'll likely buy a few lenses, then D40 will give you limitation in the choice of lens. Image quality of DSLR is definitely better than S6500, but is it so much better that you can't stand the quality of S6500? If most of your photos are printed 4R or 5R, I doubt the difference is noticable. For depth of field, only post-processing will do to achieve that of DSLR. Prosumers also have some functions that DSLR do not have, like having a video cam in a still cam, live preview, etc. For the speed of DSLR, how often do you need such speed, considering that the S6500 is also not slow? All these factors are putting off my decision for now, as I still can live with my prosumer, with some limitation.

Yes the price is certainly very tempting. Yes i am thinking of using maximum maybe 2 lens. Because i dont like the idea of bringing so many of them out and also the dust when changing lens. As for the picture quality, i seem to spot many differences on my computer. Have yet to print out my pictures at 4R though. Post processing as in using Gaussian Blur or Lens Blur from Photoshop?

Status
Not open for further replies.