Need advice on a trip to Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

kit_fisto

May 25, 2005
At home
Hi guys. I'm planning a trip to Paris sometime next Jan or Feb. Have anyone of you guys here been there? Planning a 5 or 7 days free and easy trip. Any cheap hotels to recommend? How much money should I prepare for the trip? Basically just wanna travel around Paris to visit the Effiel tower, Lourve museum and the other famous Paris landmarks.

Frankly, I would advise against going during Jan or Feb. Short daylight hours, cold and you may find some attraction closed or closes early. But if you insist, you'll find most major tourist attractions easily accessible by the metro. Buy tickets that come in 10, I think they are called carnet. I find buying the daily unlimited metro ticket (Paris Viste) not worth it.

And if you are sick of Paris, Disneyland and Versailles is just a short train ride away on the RER line.

I LOVE PARIS! :heart:

Why not in Jan/Feb? Prices are cheaper.

5-7 days is more than enough to see the main sights of Paris.

You will be going in winter, so expect shorter days and gray skies. You will be lucky if you get nice blue skies.

We stayed in a hotel near the Gare du Nord station - 2 mins walking distance. We paid Euros 68 per day for a very basic room with double beds and breakfast. Since I was there only for 1 night, can't comment much about the place. But it was recently renovated.

Europe is usually quite expensive. Budget around Euro 30-40 per day on food. If you are going only to Paris (from Singapore), it won't be a bad idea to take a few bowls of cup noodles (if you are on a budget)

The best way to explore Paris is on foot.

Since you have 5-7 days, you can choose a different spot every evening to shoot the sunset - if you are into such kinda things. I am a sucker for sunrises and sunsets.

My advice is as follows :
1 day to see the Louvre (keep this dynamic so that the day it rains, you can hide inside there). Louvre at night is extremely beautiful too.
1 day walk from Louvre through Jardin de Tuileries through Place de la Concorde through Pont Alexandre III through Hotel Invalides through to Eiffel Tower. Do the walk back again at night (you won't be able to walk through Jardin de Tuilieries).
1 morning Sacre Couer + Arc de Triomphe + la Defense + afternoon/evening/night to see Eiffel Tower (the best view of the sunset is from Trocadero). Note the sunset times and stake a prime location at Trocadero (right at the centre of it) 30-45 mins before sunset. Put your tripod there, so nobody can stand there - typical kiasu mentality. Heck, who cares - you don't go to Paris everyday. After that, walk through underneath the Eiffel Tower and on to Champ de Mars
1 morning Pantheon + 1 afternoon/evening to see Notre Dame, St. Eustache, then go to Arc de Triomphe to shoot the sunset and take photos at night.
1 day for Disneyland (if you are into theme parks)

If you have more days, you can venture a bit farther off Paris. I am not familiar with that part, so can't help you much.

I will check my guidebook and let you know if I find anything else.

But the Metro Pass (they have multiple days passes - 1 day, 2 days etc.) Take some time to familiarize yourself with the Metro network. Its complex but extremely easy. Once you get used to it, travelling will be a breeze. Metro runs till 2 AM. Be careful on the RER.

If you need a map of Paris, I can pass you one. If you need any other tips to orient yourself, let me know.

There are lots of books on Paris in our libraries. And you have plenty of time to do your research too. Good luck.

The Louvre is definately a highlight, but personally, I enjoy the arts in Musee D'Orsay much more. The sculptures at d"Orasy are just exquisite. Not much of a painting person.

Food is going to be expansive. 40Euro a day, you will be well fed, but nothing much to talk about.

What is your budget? Personally, if you goto Paris, and don't try the spectacular local food, you have not been to Paris.

Jan and Feb is going to be cold and dark... but since weather is crazy nowadays, perhaps you may get lucky with an early spring.

If weather is good, Versaille is a must. Very nice garden(s). You need one full day there.

oh, just to add on.
Its worth buying a copy of the DK Eyewitness guide to Paris.
You will get walking maps, Metro/RER map, info on how to travel from/to the airport etc.
And of course, good photos and ideas on good locations to shoot as well.

I am planning to go next month(hopefully), my fav booking engine being:

www.hostelworld.com
www.expedia.com

You should do some home work by reading some of the feedback in each of the hotel that you are interested, work out your budget and never look back. To me there is no place being bad or good, I found it interesting to discover every single thing when in foreign land everyday, but of coz personal safety is paramount so excercise some common sense and you will be fined.

As some other said, first of all you need to grab a few travel book on Paris, library is a good alternative if you do not want to spend too much.

oh, just to add on.
Its worth buying a copy of the DK Eyewitness guide to Paris.
You will get walking maps, Metro/RER map, info on how to travel from/to the airport etc.
And of course, good photos and ideas on good locations to shoot as well.

Yup, Dk is my fav and I believe I have half a dozen of different cities guide which used once ;)

How about the weather from March-April? Paris is my dream destinations man. Really hope I can visit there before I further my studies. Right now, I'm using the money from NS to fund my trip. Budget wise, maybe plan to spend 4 to 5K including air ticket and lodging. Is that enough? If I had the money, I would propose to my future girlfriend infront of the glass pyramid at the Lourve at night.

How about the weather from March-April? Paris is my dream destinations man. Really hope I can visit there before I further my studies. Right now, I'm using the money from NS to fund my trip. Budget wise, maybe plan to spend 4 to 5K including air ticket and lodging. Is that enough? If I had the money, I would propose to my future girlfriend infront of the glass pyramid at the Lourve at night.

April would be nice. You will have plenty of long days.
I was in Paris in April 2005 for a day and kept praying for the day to end (so I could shoot the Eiffel Tower at night). Even at 8 PM, there was lotsa light. Finally, I gave up as I had to catch the 10 PM train back to Brussels.

I think 4-5K should be enough lah. Watch out for those airfare deals that come up from time to time. If you fly one of those less glamorous airlines, you can get quite a cheap ticket.

Ah, you must be quite a romantic to propose to your girlfriend at the Louvre at night :D

If not at the Louvre, you can try the Eiffel Tower too. ;)
Take her to Trocadero to watch the sunset together (forget the tripod, camera etc. at home - just be totally with her), wait till the lights are on, then walk hand in hand to the Eiffel Tower, past it till you get to Champ de Mars and then propose. I am pretty certain she won't say NO.

Good luck to you.

Yup, Dk is my fav and I believe I have half a dozen of different cities guide which used once ;)

We got some similarities there...:D
I too have been collecting DK guides. I borrow the LP guides from the library just before I go on my trip.

I feel the best time to travel anywhere in Europe is spring time. Thats when the daylight starts to get longer, and the temperature still mild. April and May is my favourite time to travel. While I agree that in winter, prices are usually cheaper, but I find it so troublesome wearing thick winter clothing everywhere, and getting my hands frozen. Ha ha, maybe I just hate the cold:sticktong

4-5k is definitely more than enough. But as always, take precaution against pickpockets.

If not at the Louvre, you can try the Eiffel Tower too. ;)
Take her to Trocadero to watch the sunset together (forget the tripod, camera etc. at home - just be totally with her), wait till the lights are on, then walk hand in hand to the Eiffel Tower, past it till you get to Champ de Mars and then propose. I am pretty certain she won't say NO.

Good luck to you.

ya man, I thought the parks near Eiffel tower is more romantic than Lourve. Maybe because the three times I have been to lourve is all in the daytime and SUPER crowded.

Paris is REALLY romantic I feel but my wife don't feel that way leh... :dunno:

I feel that it is nice to have a leisurely lunch at one of the streets and see the world walk by.

I recommend Versailles. Dunno how it is like in winter though but the time I went there was quite nice with lots of flowers. And the palace itself is very interesting.

ya man, I thought the parks near Eiffel tower is more romantic than Lourve. Maybe because the three times I have been to lourve is all in the daytime and SUPER crowded.

Paris is REALLY romantic I feel but my wife don't feel that way leh... :dunno:

I feel that it is nice to have a leisurely lunch at one of the streets and see the world walk by.

I recommend Versailles. Dunno how it is like in winter though but the time I went there was quite nice with lots of flowers. And the palace itself is very interesting.

Both my wife and I also agree with your wife, ha ha:bsmilie: We don't find it romantic at all. Maybe we have been to Paris too many times, but I much prefer other European cities like London and Rome.

Not sure if Paris is my favorite city in europe, but I found myself going back almost every year.

S$5K ... if you plan your air tix right, you are left with S$3K (assuming you are going with gf) of Euro1.5K. With Euro 200 a day, 2 people, quite possible.

No need to bring cup noodles. Get go local butter and cheese, a few slices of ham, 2 bagettes, a liter of local red table wine, all for 10 euros.

Not sure if Paris is my favorite city in europe, but I found myself going back almost every year.

S$5K ... if you plan your air tix right, you are left with S$3K (assuming you are going with gf) of Euro1.5K. With Euro 200 a day, 2 people, quite possible.

No need to bring cup noodles. Get go local butter and cheese, a few slices of ham, 2 bagettes, a liter of local red table wine, all for 10 euros.

Agree - go to the local deli and buy your breakfast and lunch items so that you can splurge on a nice dinner. One tip is to go to a supermarket and buy a rotisierred chicken very cheaply. Take it to a park with a bottle of local red wine and have a feast.

And don't forget to try some of the local yogurt. Just get from super market dairy section. Damn tasty!

If you like bread, you will be in heaven.

Status
Not open for further replies.