Need advice on a trip to Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.
And don't forget to try some of the local yogurt. Just get from super market dairy section. Damn tasty!

If you like bread, you will be in heaven.

Oh yes....I miss all those french breads. One of my favourite is the ham & cheese sandwich. Or you can try the kebab. Quite cheap too.

For one of the cheapest full meal in a restaurant, sad to say it is McDonald, ha ha:sticktong Or you can try the French fast food chain Quick. I quite like their seafood salad.

Both my wife and I also agree with your wife, ha ha:bsmilie: We don't find it romantic at all. Maybe we have been to Paris too many times, but I much prefer other European cities like London and Rome.

Shopping at Champs Elysees would surely be romantic ;) :bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

Not sure if Paris is my favorite city in europe, but I found myself going back almost every year.

S$5K ... if you plan your air tix right, you are left with S$3K (assuming you are going with gf) of Euro1.5K. With Euro 200 a day, 2 people, quite possible.

No need to bring cup noodles. Get go local butter and cheese, a few slices of ham, 2 bagettes, a liter of local red table wine, all for 10 euros.

No I'm going with one of my guy friend. Maybe I'll find a gf there.=P Seriously I can live off with just baguettes only. I love them, Just butter or cheese to go with it:cool:. How about the prices of the attractions? Are they expensive? Not to mention about dining. I dont know much about those 3 course dinners or what so ever. Is there anything cheap and good to eat there?

No I'm going with one of my guy friend. Maybe I'll find a gf there.=P Seriously I can live off with just baguettes only. I love them, Just butter or cheese to go with it:cool:. How about the prices of the attractions? Are they expensive? Not to mention about dining. I dont know much about those 3 course dinners or what so ever. Is there anything cheap and good to eat there?

if you are going with another guy, meaning you don't have to pay for his air ticket, and the 2 of you will be splitting room cost, your budget is not too bad for a week.

If you like cheese, man, you will be happy in France.

Get the museum pass. I think it's for 3 days. It's worth it if you plan on seeing more than 3. It gets you in on all the museums in Paris. One that is not visited by many is L'Hotel des invalides (my french is horrible) . This is where Napolian was burried. Worth a visit.

One tour, I normally hate tours, is to take the boat ride on the Siene. I enjoyed that one.

Been to Paris so many time, but still have not been up the Eiffle tower, so cannot help you there.

There are lots of fairly cheap and very good places to eat. What I suggest is, do the baguettes and frugal but good eats most meals, and do one good one. Now, that good one can set you back maybe Euro 60-75. If you drink, maybe more. One advise is not to order a la carte, the fix menu is always much cheaper at most resturants.

If you are interested, I can give you some recommendations.

Thanks. But I think the most important thing now is to find a hotel. I can't wait to go there.

You can forget about your SLR in Lourve can't seem to be able to hold the camera up without someone shouting NO PHOTO PLS. It going to be quite cold. If you plan to visit Eiffel Tower to take night shots better get some warm clothing and thin gloves to handle your camera. Don't think you can mount any tripod down there also too many people walking around.

Any unique items to buy there? Is there like a flee market in Paris?

If you intend to go up the Eiffel Tower, go early in the morning, just before it opens, or around 7pm, when it is dinner time. This is to avoid long queues. In summer, the queues can be very long.

It is possible to use tripod, but you have to be there when there are less people. But do take note that it can get pretty windy up there.

Another place to take in the full view of Paris is to go up Tour Montparnasse. Up there you still be able to see the Eiffel Tower in the distance.

You can forget about your SLR in Lourve can't seem to be able to hold the camera up without someone shouting NO PHOTO PLS. It going to be quite cold. If you plan to visit Eiffel Tower to take night shots better get some warm clothing and thin gloves to handle your camera. Don't think you can mount any tripod down there also too many people walking around.

You can take pictures in certain galleries in the Louvre. Forget about taking pictures of paintings, as the flash can destroy the artworks. Statues, artifacts etc., are fine though. I spent 3 hours at the Louvre and I only explore half of a gallery (bearing in mind that there are 4 galleries). I'll stick with a compact camera at the Louvre.

I just came back from a 6 day stopover at Paris. Here are the downs of what you get in Paris.

1. Paris is definitely NOT romantic in the winter, the weather can get too cold to enjoy.
2. There was lots of pigeon droppings all over the place, be careful when you stand below the trees.
3. The female gypsies are really bothersome, they always bug you for money by asking "Excuse me, do you speak english?" and shove a piece of paper written in various languages asking for money. I meet one everyday, you have to learn how best to ignore them.
4. Inconsiderate dogs allow their dogs to excrete all over the place, especially on the narrow pavements. Watch out for that pile of pooh!
5. You are not allowed to take pictures at the galleries in the Lourve and inside the Basilica of the Sacré Cœur on the top of Montmartre. Most other places are fine with photography.
6. The true French hate english as a language. The French of immigrant stock and those in the service industry are more willing to converse on english.
7. Except for the presence of brands such as Louis Vuitton, Lancel and Longchamp, Champs-Élysées isn't goona be as exciting as shopping destinations like Sim Lim Square. :sweatsm:
8. In the most of of Paris itself, most buildings look wonderful on the outside, but are mainly wood and plaster on the inside. When you walk, the floor creaks.
9. Renting short term apartments is a definite NO if you are travelling with a female, it is not safe. A hotel is a better option.

I just came back from a 6 day stopover at Paris. Here are the downs of what you get in Paris.

1. Paris is definitely NOT romantic in the winter, the weather can get too cold to enjoy.
2. There was lots of pigeon droppings all over the place, be careful when you stand below the trees.
3. The female gypsies are really bothersome, they always bug you for money by asking "Excuse me, do you speak english?" and shove a piece of paper written in various languages asking for money. I meet one everyday, you have to learn how best to ignore them.
4. Inconsiderate dogs allow their dogs to excrete all over the place, especially on the narrow pavements. Watch out for that pile of pooh!
5. You are not allowed to take pictures at the galleries in the Lourve and inside the Basilica of the Sacré Cœur on the top of Montmartre. Most other places are fine with photography.
6. The true French hate english as a language. The French of immigrant stock and those in the service industry are more willing to converse on english.
7. Except for the presence of brands such as Louis Vuitton, Lancel and Longchamp, Champs-Élysées isn't goona be as exciting as shopping destinations like Sim Lim Square. :sweatsm:
8. In the most of of Paris itself, most buildings look wonderful on the outside, but are mainly wood and plaster on the inside. When you walk, the floor creaks.
9. Renting short term apartments is a definite NO if you are travelling with a female, it is not safe. A hotel is a better option.

Ha ha...Totally agree.

Now that's a side of Paris that I didn't know that. In any case, I'll still gonna experience it myself. Now where's my french phrase book...

Status
Not open for further replies.