Need Advice!!! Minolta vs Nikon

Status
Not open for further replies.

sykestang

Jan 18, 2003
studiospace
sykestang.clubsnap.org
Hi guys out there... Don't wish to start a bombardment thread with stupid question, so try not to discuss too off thread. Ok here goes:

I current owned the following:
Dynax 5 with 75-300mm lens, 28-85mm lens (both kit lens)
50 f1.7 lens
Dimage 7HI + full accessories like batteries, power adaptor, etc
3600HS Flash

I do have a budget of ard $6k to upgrade. The question is do I purchase a Dynax 7 (my dream camera) with some really good lens like 80-200 f2.8 APO, 100mm Soft focus, etc with the budget. Then hope that Minolta comes out with a DSLR body soon.

OR

Should I take the opportunity to sell off all I have, maybe still can fetch around $2000+ so with a total budget of $8k and change all to Nikon stuff like D100 Body, F100 body or F5 body but ultimately only left with $1-$2k for lens which can't get a range of very good lenses as compared to Option 1 above.

Personally I was thinking of option 1 is because I like the Minolta's technology deployed in the Dynax 7. But as you guys know, Minolta do not have a wide rande of lenses to support. And to be frank, I don't quite like the Dimage 7HI due to the lens in-bulit is a f3.5/5.6 which makes it difficult when shooting in the dark without using flash. So to go with Option 1, the good lenses cannot be used for digital. Note that I need a Digital camera for my work cos my boss used to give me sudden events photography assignments without telling me in advance, so the digital camera comes handy without films. But I personally still into film photography. Sigh... how I wish Minolta can come up with a DSLR body soon...

So anyone have any suggestions or advise for me to make my decision, as I am really in a dilemma over the limited budget and choices. Please don't recommend Canon as I personally hate this brand, as a IT guy, Canon product never fail to fail me so I have made my own judgement not to buy and own any Canon products regardless of how good a review it has. So Canon guys out there, please respect my perception and don't flame me hor...;p

Thanks in advance.

Ask your boss to buy a company digital camera then. Film or digital, I would expect my company to pay for film & dev. costs, or, if shots are often urgent, to pay for a usable digital camera.

If it's your hobby, that's a different story.

If you can't afford a good Nikon film camera and lenses, why don't you stick with Minolta? If you don't need the whole range of lenses that Nikon can offer (who can afford that many?), Minolta looks sufficient to me.

As for digital, I think the D100 is limited. Personally I think there's nothing wrong with Canon technology... but in any case Nikon & Canon will probably come up with better DSLRs in the next year or two, so you might want to wait a while...

the 7Hi should have a 2.8 to 3.5 lens what..
but if u decide to go with option 2 and sell your 7HI do PM me :)

Frankly speaking, I don't think Minolta will ever come out with a DSLR. Why? Look at the prices for DSLR now after Canon 10D came out. At US$1500 sales, how many more producers can the market bare? Mind you the R&D, market cost, etc is not low, and with the relatively thin profit margins, they most likely would not step in. Even if they do, you would wonder on the quality, etc.

Don't forget that the market itself is still small, cf normal digital cam market. As the overall cost for a DSLR is easily S$8-10k for a starting kit (cam + spare cam battery + external flash + extra flash battery + 2 lenses + legal photo software), few are willing/can afford to do so. Many don't care to do so as well. Hey, if a 3MP consumer digicam is good for vacations, costing only S$1-1.2k, why bother with something that cost 10x? Is it worth the 10x in price?

Now, if you take say the D100 option, you can get something decent for $8k, with D100 + SB-80DX flash + AF-S 24-85 f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED + (AF-S VR 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED or AF-S VR 70-200mm f/2.8G IF ED<- price not confirmed but should be around the same price as the other lens).

If you want your company to sponor something, you have to give up something. They can buy a lens (the VR ones :D ) but it is owned by the company, so if you leave, you can't take it with you. All these is a matter of balance, compromise and negotiations.

Originally posted by MaGixShOe
the 7Hi should have a 2.8 to 3.5 lens what..
but if u decide to go with option 2 and sell your 7HI do PM me :)
The f2.8 is only for the wide-angle, zoom a little will be 3.5 onwards. in fact tried to zoom to abt 100mm+ the f-stop increase to 4.5. Thus tested in one of the concert shot. the camera shutter speed becomes 1/10 or even 2 secs before a decent photo with sufficient lights can be taken...SIGH... ended up using a flash thus causes the colours to be unnatural.

I borrowed my friend 85mm/f1.4 for my dynax during that same function, the photos turns out good w/o using any flash ISO400 film shutter can still maintain at 1/30 or even 1/60 during some lighted events.

Will pm you once I come up with a decision on whether to sell or not cos the problem now lies on whether the D100 can solve all my problems as some of the members here does have some bad comments on the features of the D100, therefore I may ultimately spend the money on a good film camera instead and still keep my 7HI until a real DSLR that can really replace a good film SLR.

Regards.

Originally posted by sykestang
The f2.8 is only for the wide-angle, zoom a little will be 3.5 onwards. in fact tried to zoom to abt 100mm+ the f-stop increase to 4.5. Thus tested in one of the concert shot. the camera shutter speed becomes 1/10 or even 2 secs before a decent photo with sufficient lights can be taken...SIGH... ended up using a flash thus causes the colours to be unnatural.

I borrowed my friend 85mm/f1.4 for my dynax during that same function, the photos turns out good w/o using any flash ISO400 film shutter can still maintain at 1/30 or even 1/60 during some lighted events.

Will pm you once I come up with a decision on whether to sell or not cos the problem now lies on whether the D100 can solve all my problems as some of the members here does have some bad comments on the features of the D100, therefore I may ultimately spend the money on a good film camera instead and still keep my 7HI until a real DSLR that can really replace a good film SLR.

Regards.

Since you need to use digital camera to shoot last minute for your company. I recommend oly digicams.

f1.8 at wide angle and f2.6 at tele for my oly c4040.

Frankly speaking, I don't think Minolta will ever come out with a DSLR. Why? Look at the prices for DSLR now after Canon 10D came out. At US$1500 sales, how many more producers can the market bare? Mind you the R&D, market cost, etc is not low, and with the relatively thin profit margins, they most likely would not step in. Even if they do, you would wonder on the quality, etc.

Hi Watcher,

I agree with you, if Minolta gonna sell their DSLR in Singapore ONLY. ;p

-FND->

Originally posted by sykestang
.. problem now lies on whether the D100 can solve all my problems as some of the members here does have some bad comments on the features of the D100 ..

There's no one camera that everyone will agree it's fault-less. It's only yourself who can determine whether a camera is suitable for you or not, compromising abit here and there.

As everyone knows, if the photos turned out bad, probably it's the person behind the camera who's lousy, and not the camera is lousy..

Originally posted by Pegasus

There's no one camera that everyone will agree it's fault-less. It's only yourself who can determine whether a camera is suitable for you or not, compromising abit here and there.

As everyone knows, if the photos turned out bad, probably it's the person behind the camera who's lousy, and not the camera is lousy..

Strongly Agreed.... The quality of the photos depends mainly on the photographer and not so much on the camera. Thats why I would like to lay my hands on some really good lenses so that not to give myself a reason to blame on the camera. Frankly, the 7HI photo shot turns out quite good except on low lights the aperture can only open to 3.5max.... Sigh... Maybe I should just drop the idea of upgrading my gear to Nikon and stick with Minolta + some good lenses after all...:confused:
Totally drop digital photography and stick back to faithful film SLR, Cheap (as digital becomes more popular) and good. What do you guys think??? Good camera (Dynax 7 or Dynax 9) with good lenses (28-70 f2.8G, 80-200 f2.8 APO, 100mm f2 soft focus, 1.4x APO convertor, 100mm f2.8 Macro), or good cameras (Nikon D100 & F5 or F100) but no money to get lenses, maybe some 2nd hand or kit lenses.

Any comments on my minolta wish lenses list? Or anyone have a better suggestion on the list of lenses? I believe I could get this above list within my budget of $6k

Thanx in advance.

Originally posted by FND
Hi Watcher,

I agree with you, if Minolta gonna sell their DSLR in Singapore ONLY. ;p

-FND->
Well, regardless of market size, the above is still true. Many companies have hedged their bets and reduce cost by either using something from another company (eg Fuji and Kodak) for the body and the CCD somewhere else. This would reduce the risk.

Frankly, it is very risky. Low margins, heavy incumbant competitors, large amount of initial development cost coupled with rapid obsolence and low volume would make it a risky proposition in any industry.

in that case u rather keep your 7hi as your digital backup camera
F3.5 at full tele isnt too bad at all for a digital camera. there are others that are worse in this case. the apeture of a digicam canot be compared directly to a SLR

as for your minolta SLR, if u really like and going to go with this brand then by all means go get the good lens to go with your SLR body. if u tink that in 1-2 year time u will jump boat to nikon or canon then better not waste the money on minolta gear, it is not a very common system in use nowadays.... my dad's P&S minolta SLR had been rotting in my dry cabinet for a long time already... with the kit lens

lastly, no camera is perfect :) just got to overcome the Cons and maximise the Pros of it.

got consider S2 pro?:gbounce:

Originally posted by MaGixShOe
in that case u rather keep your 7hi as your digital backup camera
F3.5 at full tele isnt too bad at all for a digital camera. there are others that are worse in this case. the apeture of a digicam canot be compared directly to a SLR

as for your minolta SLR, if u really like and going to go with this brand then by all means go get the good lens to go with your SLR body. if u tink that in 1-2 year time u will jump boat to nikon or canon then better not waste the money on minolta gear, it is not a very common system in use nowadays.... my dad's P&S minolta SLR had been rotting in my dry cabinet for a long time already... with the kit lens

lastly, no camera is perfect :) just got to overcome the Cons and maximise the Pros of it.

got consider S2 pro?:gbounce:

S2 Pro??? No.. have not even think of it before... only dreaming on either Nikon or Minolta. Is the S2 good? any comments?

Actually that's the reasons why I'm posting this thread, Minolta's support of accessories is limited... unlike Nikon, already in the market for years... lots of stuff to fit in... Sigh... Any comments in comparasion with the Nikon F100 or Nikon F5 with Dynax 7 or Dynax 9?

BTW any ideas on how much would those lens I mentioned earlier cost if it would be Nikon brand? Don't recommend 3rd party lens, cos I have tried Tamaron & Sigma lenses but don't quite like the 'feel' as compared to original Nikor lenses. Original still feels as if much better... don't know why, maybe it is original?

Status
Not open for further replies.