Need advice in getting digital cam

Status
Not open for further replies.

HaSHBroWN

Oct 20, 2003
Visit site
hi guys, i need help/advice in getting a new digital cam

after competing in e recent canon photomarathon, it somehow "inspired" me to get a new digital cam.

i'm only interested in getting either a Nikon Coolpix 5700 or a Canon EOS 300D. I've nvr used a SLR/D-SLR camera before but i'm keen to take up photography classes or such to upgrade my knowledge.

Is e 300D a gd D-SLR cam to start wif? My fren suggested e Nikon D100 (as i'm a Nikon fan) but it's off my budget.. or perhaps if someone can kindly enlighten me on why I shld get e Nikon instead of e Canon, I might just consider

also, pls recommend me a gd school which i can take up photography.. thank u

oh ya one last thing, i'm more of a macro-user..

thank u very much for your attn.

what i know izzat 300D is a "cheap-ed" ver. of 10D, so should be good. Supports wide varieties of lens (being a DSLR) and extremely popular with DSLR n00bz /prosumers..

300D - $1799
5700 - $1508

Pricelist

prolly gonna upgrade to either 300D or 10D when $$ allows.. :bsmilie:

you should really check the reviews for unbiased evaluation.. look up the specs in comparison. As for the learning part, can always ask the CS seniors here like we all do.. or u can ask them for lessons with $$ as i know there is such service..

Your title mentioned Digital Camera, how come this thread progressed into DSLR? Heehee.

Given the price between the 5700 and 300D, it's a clear choice that the 300D is a better choice, SLR + kit lenses. The cost is around there also. However you'll keep to shell out money for more lens range, but that depends on your needs. But a DC cannot compare with a SLR, so let's drop this comparison :)

If you're seriously going to pick up photography, most would advise you to go for SLR, if you have a budget constraint, go for film SLR instead of DSLR.

You can go for film bodies, use the extra money for lenses, once you feel more comfortable with SLR usage, you can then consider if you need to join the DARK SIDE or carry on with the SLR. You can keep the lenses, and buy the body alone :) cost-effective? You measure yourself :)

Don't compare the Canon 300D with the Nikon D100 if you need, compare the Canon 10D instead. If the D100 ($2680 w/GST @ AP) is out of your budget, likely the 10D also. If you've already been using Nikon, suggestion is keep to it, because the interface and feel is there for you.

Don't be fast to jump to get a new camera just because you need one. :)

The 5700 is a good camera, 8x (280mm), but since you're going SLR/DSLR, this camera is out of the league, I myself is using the 5700 and I love it pretty much. Powerful. :)

if you really wanna get a digicam the 5700 would not be my choice... for the price tag a A1 would be a better choice... the accessories are also easier to find in singapore like the batt grip.... and from the price of the 5700 is $1508 like wat sk_online said i would take the A1 with ANTI shake for $100+ more... :D

SianZronG said:
if you really wanna get a digicam the 5700 would not be my choice... for the price tag a A1 would be a better choice... the accessories are also easier to find in singapore like the batt grip.... and from the price of the 5700 is $1508 like wat sk_online said i would take the A1 with ANTI shake for $100+ more... :D

yep, had a hold of sulhan's A1.. I say it's a :thumbsup: buy.. just love the antishake and the auto-alternating between evf and LCD and more

Not to sound too contrarian, but owning a DSLR does not equate to getting good pictures. You may get technically passable shots. There is still mastering your equipment and yourself to consider. No point upgrading (yes there are pple who follow that path) unless you wish to boost the economy.

As someone else posted recent in the forums - Terry Richardson uses a P&S to shoot models, and his pix come out great.

judging from your 2 choices, 300D will ceratinly be a good choice. why?

long run better. you can change lens what will suit your future needs. though it may seem more exp, think about it, next time you want an upgrade, it would definately cost more then buying the 300d now...

Status
Not open for further replies.