Need advice g7x or m3

one952

Jun 10, 2010
Hi, I just sold my g7x mark I.

Now looking at g7x mark II or Eos m3.

Price is about the same. I dun intent to carry heavy for camera. And also dun intent to spend big on lenses.
But from a layman point of view. If the m3 range is same as g7x. Wun the me be a better cam in terms of image quality? And the potential too?

M3 is APSC and G7X is 1" sensor. The immediate difference is Low light performance. I changed from G5X to M6 because of this reason. If you shoot at high ISO often, the M series will be better for you.

If the wide end of 24mm on the G7X II is not wide enough there's nothing much one can do (except some questionable wide angle adapters).
Users of M series can use the EF-M to EF adapter or get the dedicated wide angle for EF-M. The list goes on with options for lens filters and other items.
The topic of image sensor has been already mentioned.

What made you sell the G7X Mark I?
Do you intend to buy more lenses other than the kit lenses?
Do you intend to edit your photos / pixel peep?

What made you sell the G7X Mark I?
Do you intend to buy more lenses other than the kit lenses?
Do you intend to edit your photos / pixel peep?

Probably under usage. But then now think think. Good to have 1 too as kids milestone are coming up.
Even if I buy lenses, it will strictly be just 1 more. Definitely not more then 2. Best is 1 lens from wide to close-up. Definitely want to travel light.
Nope, will not edit photo, but photo vs video probably 60-40

M3 is APSC and G7X is 1" sensor. The immediate difference is Low light performance. I changed from G5X to M6 because of this reason. If you shoot at high ISO often, the M series will be better for you.

Thanks

If the wide end of 24mm on the G7X II is not wide enough there's nothing much one can do (except some questionable wide angle adapters).
Users of M series can use the EF-M to EF adapter or get the dedicated wide angle for EF-M. The list goes on with options for lens filters and other items.
The topic of image sensor has been already mentioned.

Thanks.

Probably under usage. But then now think think. Good to have 1 too as kids milestone are coming up.
Even if I buy lenses, it will strictly be just 1 more. Definitely not more then 2. Best is 1 lens from wide to close-up. Definitely want to travel light.
Nope, will not edit photo, but photo vs video probably 60-40

I'm a supporter of advanced compacts as I'm also using G7X (plus other cameras including DSLR ;p)

For your options since you don't intend to get many lenses, I guess you have to start with the kit lens for EOS M3 which is the EF-M 15-45 f3.5-6.3 lens.

Considering the specifications of EOS M3 + kit lens vs G7X, I would say G7X wins:
- if you intend to just use the kit lens, the low-light performance should be roughly similar
{long story: EOS M3 has a APSC sized sensor with crop factor 1.6x, G7X's sensor is smaller with crop factor 2.7x so theoretically around 2 stop advantage for EOS M3 in low light (from DXOMark the low-light ISO is 1169 for EOS M vs 556 for G7X which is actually only about 1 stop difference). However the EF-M 15-45mm lens is f3.5-6.3, but G7X's lens is f1.8-2.8 which is brighter by 2 stops on both ends}
- considering the compact size of the G7X, plus it's lens range is longer at 24-100mm, looks like it's a win for G7X

However specifications are just part of the story
- Main advantage for EOS M3 is that you can change lenses. So if the focal length range of the kit lens is not enough, you can get wider or tighter lenses, or choose lenses with bigger apertures for better low light performance
- The G7X's lens is quite soft outside the central region at wide angles. The autofocus also sometimes misses in low light situations

Considering all these, plus your preference of not wanting to get many lenses and don't do editing, I would suggest getting the G7X II. Even in the event you want to try your hand in interchangeable lens camera systems, you can still keep your G7X for occasions when you don't want to lug your equipment around.

Happy shopping :)

Last edited:

Price is about the same. I dun intent to carry heavy for camera. And also dun intent to spend big on lenses.
But from a layman point of view. If the m3 range is same as g7x. Wun the me be a better cam in terms of image quality? And the potential too?

Hi, sorry this is off topic but can I check how much did you sell your g7x mark I for? was it still within warranty?

What makes u sell it G7x?
Is the camera not good in some ways that u dislike?

Most people sell their camera and upgrade for some reason.

If u sre getting the mark 2 version then will u sell it down the road ?