Need Advice from the Pros here towards taking pictures

Status
Not open for further replies.

happyracer

Oct 5, 2009
Pasir Ris
Hi Guys..I am owning my 1st DSLR camera.Its a Canon 450D with kit lens. I need some good advice from you guys as I want to take snaps like those on the gallery section..

The advice I need on:

1)Which link or how to learn to take night shots,fast shot,adjusting the camera for perfect image?I really need alot of advice to the adjustment part.

2)I went to F1 and my picture did not turn out good.I want to invest on lens.I dont mind buying 2nd hand lens but what must I look out for and what type of lens must I buy to take pictures like F1 or fast moving things?which setting I should play with to get the nice shot.

Thats all for now but I would love to know more and any good advice will be really appreciated from you guys.

Thanks in Advance

1.Read your manual. All your questions in #1 are answered there, and in basic photography tutorials.

2. Read the many many many F1 threads already here. You will realize there are too many factors to recommend a single lens. As for how to take shots of fast moving objects, see #1. Read your manual. Read the newbies guides.

And avoid Ken Rockwell, half of what he says is good, the other half is rubbish. Go for brand-neutral sites.

Thanks guys for the reply..Rashkae owner manual ok I will read it.But about F1 right is I could focus everything except the car it was smudged.So I want 2 know what lens should I get to get that focus in the picture.Lighting right now I am not yet into it.As I like outdoor.

And Guys what 2 look out for when buying 2nd hand lens??Which type of lens Should I buy??

Thanks Alot

Thanks guys for the reply..Rashkae owner manual ok I will read it.But about F1 right is I could focus everything except the car it was smudged.So I want 2 know what lens should I get to get that focus in the picture.Lighting right now I am not yet into it.As I like outdoor.

And Guys what 2 look out for when buying 2nd hand lens??Which type of lens Should I buy??

Thanks Alot

If everything is in focus and the car is smudged, then you need to pan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panning_(camera)

Probably a faster shutter speed and higher ISO too, but I guess you'd need to post a couple of photos with the EXIF intact for the forummers here to guide you ;)

There's a link which I put in the earlier post which I edited, its about buying 2nd hand lenses.

Hello happyracer.
Firstly a very warm welcome to you.
Hmmm... for 1), it would be good to have a good photographer friend to go for a walk around with you and give you advise right on the spot when you take day time photos and when you take night shots. That would really kick start the whole thing for you. Gives you the much needed confidence boost and drastically shortens your learning time.

Since you're a new member...
Let me help with with some tips to help you SEARCH on the net for more information..

1. Go to Google or Yahoo.
2. Key in these keywords: "Photography Tips", "Tips of night photography", "Photography using shutter speed" etc.
3. Choose the websites you're comfortable with. :D

ALTERNATIVELY, you can go to the library and read up on the photography books. ;)

Good luck!
Have a good time taking photos.

Hi Guys..I am owning my 1st DSLR camera.Its a Canon 450D with kit lens. I need some good advice from you guys as I want to take snaps like those on the gallery section..

The advice I need on:

1)Which link or how to learn to take night shots,fast shot,adjusting the camera for perfect image?I really need alot of advice to the adjustment part.

2)I went to F1 and my picture did not turn out good.I want to invest on lens.I dont mind buying 2nd hand lens but what must I look out for and what type of lens must I buy to take pictures like F1 or fast moving things?which setting I should play with to get the nice shot.

Thats all for now but I would love to know more and any good advice will be really appreciated from you guys.

Thanks in Advance

welcome to clubsnap!

be careful about going down this dangerous road of thinking that "if I just bought this ____ (lens/flash, etc), my pictures would turn out much nicer", as though you're looking for the miracle cure.

in your 2nd post you said you got the rest of the scene clear, only the car appears smudged. This is a technique problem, and also a lack of knowledge problem. I am most certain that your shutter speed was no faster than 1/30s, so how could you realistically freeze a fast-moving object? The answer is you gotta pan and shoot, thus capturing the moving object sharply and rendering the background with motion blur. This conveys a sense of movement in your photo. Isn't that what you want in an F1 photo?

First you need to know how the camera works and what exposure is. Then you will realize that it's not a "magic lens" that you will need but rather a good understanding of light, exposure and technique to capture the object in the way you want.
Secondly, as a newbie you start with one of the most challenging situations: a F1 night race. Wouldn't it be better to start in normal daylight and learn the very basics? You have about 11 months to learn and get a ticket for the next race. Plenty of time to prepare yourself. Use the time.

With your limited knowledge: none.
As long as you don't know much about lenses (which is part of the basics of photography) chances are good that you will waste money. Maybe you buy a darn expensive lens without utilizing the possibilities or you spend money on a budget lens that doesn't help much. Once you know the basics it becomes obvious which lens can help you in certain situations or where the lens is actually irrelevant. Buy what you know, where you understand purpose and what helps you to achieve your intention. Ah, yes .. intention :bsmilie: something else to ponder about before even thinking of gear. Do you want to freeze the F1 car or emphasize the speed with a slight blurring? Side shoot or frontal image? What seats can you afford on the race track? :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.