need advice from the pro wedding photographer

heavenlymade

Jan 3, 2010
singapore
hi
i like to have some advices from you guys. have patient with me, i am still pretty amateur in photography.

recently i was being asked to take pictures for my friend who is getting married soon. His photographer wasnt able to cover the AD shots early in the morning due to the teo chew tradition. so i have to cover his AD shots from as early as 4.30 am til 7.30am when the paid photographer comes.

i have never taken wedding photos, only some birthday events assignments. so right here, i have these gears with me. D90, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, tamron 18-270mm, kit len 18-105mm. i have plans to get a wide angle len such as 24-70mm which i heard is good for cropped bodies. i do have more ROM assignment after that, so is the 24-70mm good for these assignments and which of my lens is compatible with it? is there other lens to recommend or should i just stick to my current set up?

thanks in advance for advicing.
i think i ever posted this somewhere but just couldnt find the post. sorry if i double post.

hi
i like to have some advices from you guys. have patient with me, i am still pretty amateur in photography.

recently i was being asked to take pictures for my friend who is getting married soon. His photographer wasnt able to cover the AD shots early in the morning due to the teo chew tradition. so i have to cover his AD shots from as early as 4.30 am til 7.30am when the paid photographer comes.

i have never taken wedding photos, only some birthday events assignments. so right here, i have these gears with me. D90, 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8, tamron 18-270mm, kit len 18-105mm. i have plans to get a wide angle len such as 24-70mm which i heard is good for cropped bodies. i do have more ROM assignment after that, so is the 24-70mm good for these assignments and which of my lens is compatible with it? is there other lens to recommend or should i just stick to my current set up?

i think i ever posted this somewhere but just couldnt find the post. sorry if i double post.

24-70 wide angle and good for cropped bodies? Where did you hear it from? If i'm not wrong, 24-70 should be a FX lens. :)
IMO, 24 on a DX body is not wide. Your 18-105 is even wider. I think your 18-105 can do most of the job well for you. Or even your 18-270. Probably leave your 50s and 85s for portraits/close up shots.

24-70 wide angle and good for cropped bodies? Where did you hear it from? If i'm not wrong, 24-70 should be a FX lens. :)
IMO, 24 on a DX body is not wide. Your 18-105 is even wider. I think your 18-105 can do most of the job well for you. Or even your 18-270. Probably leave your 50s and 85s for portraits/close up shots.

thanks for responding.
ohh i thought it is for DX body.. so which wide angle len is good for DX body?

18-105 is really good enough? thought of getting a faster lens so i can shoot in low lighting. i am abit concern about the performance of 18-105 cos i will be shooting in room lighting. i hope it is bright enough.

and ya, i have gotten the flash.

oh.. another question is.. is D700 really too heavy for a lady to handle? i was thinking of upgrading due to the cropped nature of D90, but the sale guy discouraged me n ask me to stick to this since D90 is much lighter for me to take.

thanks for responding.
ohh i thought it is for DX body.. so which wide angle len is good for DX body?

18-105 is really good enough? thought of getting a faster lens so i can shoot in low lighting. i am abit concern about the performance of 18-105 cos i will be shooting in room lighting. i hope it is bright enough.

and ya, i have gotten the flash.

oh.. another question is.. is D700 really too heavy for a lady to handle? i was thinking of upgrading due to the cropped nature of D90, but the sale guy discouraged me n ask me to stick to this since D90 is much lighter for me to take.

you only got ur D90 at the start of the year you wanna change already... don't so fast la.. nothing wrong with cropped cameras, in fact alot of photographers like the extra 'reach' provided by crop cameras...

if you are having a flash, then you don't need to worry about the low lighting performance of ur 18-105... just make sure you can bounce the light from ceiling or wall that don't give you a funny color hue.. bring along a fast prime lens which can save you if you really struggle with the lighting..

Just grap what ever you have right now in case you might need it later at the shoot.

you only got ur D90 at the start of the year you wanna change already... don't so fast la.. nothing wrong with cropped cameras, in fact alot of photographers like the extra 'reach' provided by crop cameras...

if you are having a flash, then you don't need to worry about the low lighting performance of ur 18-105... just make sure you can bounce the light from ceiling or wall that don't give you a funny color hue.. bring along a fast prime lens which can save you if you really struggle with the lighting..

hahah how u know i got it around tat time ? =) anyway, didnt know there is advantage of having a cropped body until u mention the "reach" thing.

btw, thanks for the advice. i was really nervous for covering a AD shoot, even took up many lessons just to be ready for it.

hahah how u know i got it around tat time ? =) anyway, didnt know there is advantage of having a cropped body until u mention the "reach" thing.

btw, thanks for the advice. i was really nervous for covering a AD shoot, even took up many lessons just to be ready for it.

simple la, your join date is jan.. ur previous posts oso can see when you got the camera..

don't worry, just note that on AD, things may be very rushed and all so you might not have time to change lens here and there.. (thats why many pros carry two bodies) best if you familiarize with the place, with the schedule, find out whats happening what time and know what lens to put on, when can change lens to suit different parts of the morning ceremony or stuff...

hi

No need to get lens. Get a flash like SB600, and use your kit lens 18-105 and it will turn out nicely. Remember to bounce the flash by pointing the direction of the flash to the ceiling. put your camera in P mode and your flash in i-TTL mode. shoot fast and have fun.

You only have one camera, you will not have time to switch lenses here and there. What is important is to just catch the moments.

Last edited:
simple la, your join date is jan.. ur previous posts oso can see when you got the camera..

don't worry, just note that on AD, things may be very rushed and all so you might not have time to change lens here and there.. (thats why many pros carry two bodies) best if you familiarize with the place, with the schedule, find out whats happening what time and know what lens to put on, when can change lens to suit different parts of the morning ceremony or stuff...

thanks for the advice. not sure if i am able to be familiarize with the place since i dont know the bride i am taking photo of. i only know the groom =P. as for schedule, will check with the wedding coordinator. if i am not wrong, i think can use the 85mm or 50mm in the house when doing make up right? then after tat switch back to my kit len for the rest of the morning.

No need to get lens. Get a flash like SB600, and use your kit lens 18-105 and it will turn out nicely. Remember to bounce the flash by pointing the direction of the flash to the ceiling. put your camera in P mode and your flash in i-TTL mode. shoot fast and have fun.

You only have one camera, you will not have time to switch lenses here and there. What is important is to just catch the moments.

thanks for the advice. i gotten the flash already, still learning to use it. good suggestion on the P mode, in that case, i dont have to worry much right? actually u hit the spot, adjusting the controls is a very big concern for me cos when i was doing birthday event shooting, i constantly have to adjust my controls due to the environment's lighting. tried using A mode, but lots of children around, so sometimes have to switch to S mode. Moreover when i change lenses, more control to be changed. kinda tiring.

anyway, will get a friend or two to test shoot. right now still attending classes to learn how to manage the flash thing.

thanks for the advice. not sure if i am able to be familiarize with the place since i dont know the bride i am taking photo of. i only know the groom =P. as for schedule, will check with the wedding coordinator. if i am not wrong, i think can use the 85mm or 50mm in the house when doing make up right? then after tat switch back to my kit len for the rest of the morning.

yup if you know you have time like that to do a change in lens then why not.. so the make up and all you can use a prime..

then after that a zoom to get the shots while moving around..

That's no need to get 24-70. Paid assignment? Can sponsor that lens?
You will find that an external flash like SB600/800/900 will give you enough light to use your 18-105 at a good aperture for your lens. E.g. 5.6-8.0. So you don't have to change lens.

Your 85 is also good but you might not be fast enough to change for wide angle shots.