Need advice for new harddisk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adam Goi

ClubSNAP Idol
Staff member
Used to siao PC hardware until I decided to spend more time on photography...thus I need help!

I'm planning to acquire a new 80GB IDE HD which spins @ 7200 RPM...any particular make or model you would recommend? I'd appreciate if you can share what you've heard and experience...TIA! ;)

Originally posted by AdamGoi
Used to siao PC hardware until I decided to spend more time on photography...thus I need help!

I'm planning to acquire a new 80GB IDE HD which spins @ 7200 RPM...any particular make or model you would recommend? I'd appreciate if you can share what you've heard and experience...TIA! ;)

There's this new 80GB 7200rpm Western Digital harddisk with 8MB buffer. Check it out. Costs around $215. Sounds pretty good. I myself uses Maxtor, but heard that recently there are quite a bit of problems.

While you are at that, also get the excellent Eizo L565 LCD panel. :) Or if you are feeling rich, the L685EX LCD panel with gamma control and colour space emulation. :devil:

Regards
CK

Originally posted by ckiang

While you are at that, also get the excellent Eizo L565 LCD panel. :) Or if you are feeling rich, the L685EX LCD panel with gamma control and colour space emulation. :devil:

Regards
CK

how much are those? :p

Originally posted by zhapchit

how much are those? :p

The L565 (17" viewable) is about $14xx. The 19" ones start at $2k+. Believe me, they are the best I've seen of PC LCDs. Go to Interactive Media Solution at 5th floor SLS, among all the LCDs displayed, the Eizos stand out the most. They are also the best LCD in PC Show. Time to save up for one. :)

Regards
CK

I have no problems with IBM harddisk ...

but i think nobody can say for sure which harddisk is good/bad,
depends on the individual's experience ...
coz I had a quantum harddisk crash on me once ... :cry:

Originally posted by mpenza
IBM's selling it's harddisk business to Hitachi right?

For a sum of 2.05 billion US dollars. 3 years from now, they will handover this business totally to Hitachi.

Originally posted by AdamGoi

adam when u find a good one tell me hor, i also feel like getting one.
80GB abit big lah...scandisk or defrag dunno take howwwww long man. im thinking of getting a 40GB one.

Originally posted by eadwine

adam when u find a good one tell me hor, i also feel like getting one.
80GB abit big lah...scandisk or defrag dunno take howwwww long man. im thinking of getting a 40GB one.

YES...40GB is the sweet spot to buy now...

My recommendation :
maxtor for speed
Seagate for reliability

Western Digital also not bad...but hard to find in sim lim, and there is no more WD factory in S'pore, so warranty may be a problem

IBM for speed & $$. The recent 120GXP quite ok .. bought 3 and no problem so far. The previous 75gxp & 60 gxp give me a lot of problem.
120gxp very quiet & not hot at all.

Originally posted by cwloo
IBM for speed & $$. The recent 120GXP quite ok .. bought 3 and no problem so far. The previous 75gxp & 60 gxp give me a lot of problem.
120gxp very quiet & not hot at all.

hmm..Maxtor is cheaper than IBM by $20-$30

i spoilt 3 x 75GXP and 2 x 60GXP so far....RMA until scare already...

so far i have not hear anyone complain abt 120GXP...there are two reasons :

120GXP is much durable now or no one dare to buy 120GXP so less pple complain abt their problems

too bad i dun have the time to test out 120GXP

but if u want see how IBM vs Maxtor vs Seagate
u can find out from my review here

http://www.reviewmakers.com/showdoc.php?review=17

Harddisk very difficult to judge which one is better than the other as the technology is quite stagnant. If you are lucky can get one that last a long time. I still have a 650MB WD that just refuse to die(want the magnet but cannot bear to ply it open as it is still working) sigh...

IMO IBM produces very quick HDD, and Maxtor is less noisy, Seagate? have not use it before only their SCSI baraccuda.
WD always like their HDD but can we still get it now?

I will get the one that is value for money now loh.

:)

Rather than start another thread, can I ask the hardware gurus here upgrading advice as well? :)

My system is so old, I have to 'replace' rather than 'upgrade', and I definitely want Intel P4 processor because I want a quiet pc. (I built a barebones duron 800 system for my parents but its so hot had to add lots of fans..ugh) I intend to get the enermax adjustable fan speed power supply and turn the fan speed to minimum ;)

Currently, I'm eyeing the Gigabyte GA-81EXP because of its built in smart card /memory stick etc support. (i assume that it supports compact flash with the necessary adaptors.. anyone know)

What are your views on motherboards? Any alternatives, other brand 845E or even Sis645dx?

Also, with 845E, can I use DDR333 (by overclocking the cpu?). Also, whether M/Bs nowadays can set PCI speeds independent of overclocking (because my Yamaha CDRW doesn't like overclocking pci bus...)

I'm NOT a hardware expert, so any advice, clarifications etc welcome.....

Yeah, I am thinking of upgrading my system. I am still using:

a Asus P2B-F mobo, (Har, what is that?)
Savage4 gf
Pentium III 667MHz
256MB memory
12.6GB harddrive

A pre-historic model, eh? :D

So far none of my HD have problems. Mostly I buy IBM, though I have a couple of Seagate ones. The last one was 120GXP 60GB. Very fast, very cool. It's supposed to be much more reliable because they use a glass substrate for the discs.

Status
Not open for further replies.