Need advice for first camera

raycher

Sep 22, 2015
Singapore
Hi i going get a camera for leisure use and i am a newbie, i wondering is Olympus OMD em-1 now a good buy? or is it an overkill for a newbie to use it?
Anyone have any recommendation for a new hand like me to get?

I think if you read the thread here, there will be lots of info flying around.

EM1 is great, but if it's just for leisure get the entry level or semi pro like the em10 or em5. It's smaller and lightweight. You'll definitely wanna bring it everywhere.

The entry level em10 is no doubt a beast still. Even though it has only 3 axis IBIS.

Then again, it still depends on what camera appeals to you most. And what kind of photos you wanna take. Hope the info helps!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I think if you read the thread here, there will be lots of info flying around.

EM1 is great, but if it's just for leisure get the entry level or semi pro like the em10 or em5. It's smaller and lightweight. You'll definitely wanna bring it everywhere.

The entry level em10 is no doubt a beast still. Even though it has only 3 axis IBIS.

Then again, it still depends on what camera appeals to you most. And what kind of photos you wanna take. Hope the info helps!

I read that em 5 mk2 and em 10 mk2 is great too , which em10 mk2 come with 3 lens as a bundle if i am not wrong? but just do not know to get which is good cause can tell the difference much as i m a newbie haha

go courts. ask them let you molest the camera. If it feels good just get it.

I read that em 5 mk2 and em 10 mk2 is great too , which em10 mk2 come with 3 lens as a bundle if i am not wrong? but just do not know to get which is good cause can tell the difference much as i m a newbie haha
Yepp they are the newer models but em1 is their flagship camera.

Em5 mk2 is supposedly known for their video capabilities, swivel screen and also their 40mp HDR.

IMHO, it doesn't matter what camera you buy. Any of those models are able to meet your leisure needs. If have a budget get the em5 or em10 mk1. If you don't mind spending more, then the mk2 or the em1 can be of choice.

And remember you still need good glass! Kit lens are not too shabby but if can, invest in glasses. Cameras every 2 yrs or so will change.

Hi i going get a camera for leisure use and i am a newbie, i wondering is Olympus OMD em-1 now a good buy? or is it an overkill for a newbie to use it?
Anyone have any recommendation for a new hand like me to get?

Hmm, 'leisure use' + 'newbie'... maybe the PEN series might suit your needs more? Mainly more compact and 'casual'. Depends on your own aims and purposes. If you intend to learn a bit more about photography, you can't go wrong with any of the E-Ms really. After looking at all the specs and stuff, best is to find a showroom/store with the cameras you're interested in, and handle them personally and see which one feels best in your hands.

Long story short.
I'll say
No digital camera can be overkill for a newbie to use. As most camera these day have the Full auto mode.
But to start with.. It is always advisable to get the basic entry model. So they have less things to confuse you. And they also cost less.

Cost less can be good for starter.. since you may not be sure if you'll like this hobby over time.

There are so many camera out in the market.. Which to get? Well.. It helps alot if you could give yourself some factor to consider. So that way you could narrow down your choices by alot. Some factor could be.

1) Price
2) Brand
3) Sensor size
4) Weight
5) Size
6) Features
etc etc.

If you can. Try to hands on those that you've shortlisted. Showrooms...mega electronic store.. Fairs.. etc They always have them for you to try.

Note that.

There are no BEST/PERFECT camera. Every camera out there have their Pro n Cons.
So.. Just pick the one you like best or that fits most of your wants/needs.
End of the day. You are happy with what you buy. That's most important for me. What about you?

Last edited:
Yepp they are the newer models but em1 is their flagship camera.

Em5 mk2 is supposedly known for their video capabilities, swivel screen and also their 40mp HDR.

IMHO, it doesn't matter what camera you buy. Any of those models are able to meet your leisure needs. If have a budget get the em5 or em10 mk1. If you don't mind spending more, then the mk2 or the em1 can be of choice.

And remember you still need good glass! Kit lens are not too shabby but if can, invest in glasses. Cameras every 2 yrs or so will change.

Bro what you mean by glass to change every 2 years?

Thanks for all the help and comments for this.... will december be a better time to get it as they will throw in more discount and freebies?

And for this do it required a drybox too?

Bro what you mean by glass to change every 2 years?
Camera brands every 2 years or so will come out with a new model. So it's best to invest in good glass/lens. Because specs in the camera changes will always change. But the lens can be used to a great extend. For example when you upgrade your body and etc.

Thanks for all the help and comments for this.... will december be a better time to get it as they will throw in more discount and freebies?

And for this do it required a drybox too?
It's best to have a dry box or a cabinet if you don't shoot that much. I reckon get a 2nd hand body from the BnS section. There are tons of cameras still under warranty and cheaper by 200 or 300 bucks from the retail price.

Since you mentioned that you're a newbie and you'll use the camera for leisure...Depending on how much time, effort and money you plan to spend for photography at the moment, you might also want to consider advanced compact cameras that offer manual controls :)

Other than covering standard zoom range, they probably also have some form of close-up mode and allow experiments with off-camera flash. If you get an ultrazoom, you can also try bird / wildlife photography. Overall quite good for learning fundamentals, trying different genres and technique, and learning about your personal shooting preferences.

Look into some lenses you would like to go along with a body should you decide to get an interchangeable lens camera. This is very important too.

so the basic kit lens is not good enough?

It's good but won't performance won't be as good as primes or great zooms.

for someone just starting out especially.
IMHO, kit lens are the best and most value for money lens 1 can get. That's why they came as a bundle with the camera. There is a reason.

They are good enough for what they can do and more if you know what you are doing. Yes.

But of course..if you want to go in depth and talk about more technical stuff..like distortion...rendering... 100% crop.. etc etc..
sure.. a kit lens may not or wont perform better than other lenses. Because they are Kit Lens...the better ones may cost twice or many time(s) more..

For the start. The best advise is to go with the kit lens. Once you know better. You will know what to get or whether you need or not.

IMO... dont overload yourself with too much info. There are so many equipment out there. Take baby steps. Best to start from the basic.

But of course.. having said that. If you are loaded or feel rich. Sure.. You can go ahead and purchase all the flagship lenses..camera and etc. Its your money your experiences. End of the day. You are using the equipment. Not us. ;)

"Good enough" depends on expectation. There are better lens, the question is whether it's worth the price and size difference to the photographer :)
Using micro 4/3 system as example:
2nd hand 12-50mm f3.5-6.3 lens probably can be bought for less than $200.
2nd hand 12-40mm f2.8 lens probably costs around $900.

12-40mm f2.8 is the better lens, image quality wise. But whether the difference is worth $700 is subjective. For some people, it's worth it. Some other might prefer to use the $700 to buy lighting equipment, or studio time, or short trip to nearby interesting place... etc.

So the question probably shouldn't be "whether X is better than Y", but more "whether the difference in image quality is worth the extra cost, size and weight?". Even if money is not an issue, size and weight are real consideration.

For this, you might want to compare prices, check sites like camerasize.com (to see side-by-side comparison between different lens + camera combo), as well as Flickr (to see sample images taken using the different combinations).

BTW, you might also want to check this blog entry (by a fashion photographer who started with a Canon 350D and kit lens): http://blog.zhangjingna.com/2010/10/equipment-and-where-money-comes-from.html

Good enough for beginners, that's why these lenses are included in all camera kits. Some people use them still after years, others change the lens soon. The reasons vary between different people. In general (and in common sense and logic): get the lens because it serves a specific purpose that the current lens cannot fulfill. If there is none (or you don't know) then there is no reason to change the kit lens to something different.

Thanks for all the info guys, i decide to buy a camera with interchange lens is because i tend to travel nearly once every month or two months time.
Want to take down picture of scenery and stuff for example next Jan will be at taipei to take cherry blossom , then nov go to Vietnam danang beach which heard is very pretty too.

Thanks for all the info guys, i decide to buy a camera with interchange lens is because i tend to travel nearly once every month or two months time.
Want to take down picture of scenery and stuff for example next Jan will be at taipei to take cherry blossom , then nov go to Vietnam danang beach which heard is very pretty too.
Have fun. Do read up about the basics of landscape / travel photography. Don't get hooked into buying lots of equipment. A CPL will do for most cases.