Need advice for Cannon 550D

chuaeil

Dec 31, 2010
Hi everybody,
I am new to DSLR. Can anybody advice me on this, how to take those photos that the background is blur but the forcus object is sharp.

Thank you very much

A few pointers:

Use a wide aperture (e.g. f1.2,f1.4,f1.8,f2.8 etc)
Zoom or use a long focal length (85mm, 135mm, 150mm etc)
Go as close to your subject
Keep the background as far from your subject

Hihi Octarine and derrickder,
thanks for your advice. lol I know nothing about DSLR, I will try to find out where to adjust the wide aperture but my lenes is the normal 18-55mm as i am very new and i don't dare buy too many things incase i really stuck dont know how how to use.

What is Depth of Field?

Thank you very much and appreciated it very much. :)

What is Depth of Field?
Did you read the link I provided?
How to adjust aperture is described in your manual. Read it, slowly and carefully.

Welcome to CS :D
You can start by reading the stickies at the top of this sub forum (denoted with a yellow background)..
Hope this helps :)

Hi Octarine,
Yes i am reading now and trying to understand.

Hi Diluted,
stickies at the top of this sub forum? erm... where?

Thank you very much :)

Hi Octarine,

Hi Diluted,

Go to newbies corners and there's a bunch of threads with the word 'sticky' next to them. Reading them would be good for you.

Hihi Octarine and derrickder,
thanks for your advice. lol I know nothing about DSLR, I will try to find out where to adjust the wide aperture but my lenes is the normal 18-55mm as i am very new and i don't dare buy too many things incase i really stuck dont know how how to use.

What is Depth of Field?

Thank you very much and appreciated it very much. :)

Use Aperture Priority mode (turn the control dial to Av)
Use the dial at the back to adjust the aperture value (f-stop)
All lenses can adjust aperture, you don't need to buy new lenses. Kit lens can give good background blur (I am using kit lens, you can check my Flickr)

Depth of field is the range of distance from your focus point (front and back) that remains sharp.

Some tips:
Read the stickied threads like those mentioned above.
Read your manual
Go borrow some books ^^

Cheers and happy new year.

Hi Octarine,

Hi Diluted,

Go to newbies corners and there's a bunch of threads with the word 'sticky' next to them. Reading them would be good for you.

yup.. like spree86 had mentioned, those threads have the word Sticky next to them.. its right at the top of the 'normal' threads people start :D