Need advice for addon

Status
Not open for further replies.

VainKid

Aug 1, 2009
Bedok
Hi people after 8 month in the journey of photography, i have the following problem that is hindering me for quite sometime.

1. should i change my 50 1.8 to some 35 1.4?

why? i find casual human portrait shooting from table while dinning is a problem....

2. Should i change my 18-105 to 18-200 for the extra 142.5mm on my DX ?
is the top up cost effective or should i keep the 18-105 and buy a tele 150-500?

thanks in advance

1. Do you feel your 50mm is not wide enough? If so, maybe consider a Tamron 17-55 f/2.8?
2. Do you need the extra tele reach?

Hi people after 8 month in the journey of photography, i have the following problem that is hindering me for quite sometime.

why? i find casual human portrait shooting from table while dinning is a problem....

is the top up cost effective or should i keep the 18-105 and buy a tele 150-500?

thanks in advance

why can't you use the 18-105, the 18mm is wide enough for shooting across the dining table...

don't change the 50mm.. keep it, you will have times when you wanna use it.. if you really really really must spend some money then just spend the $ and get the 35...

the $ is urs.. and so is the choice

why can't you use the 18-105, the 18mm is wide enough for shooting across the dining table...

don't change the 50mm.. keep it, you will have times when you wanna use it.. if you really really really must spend some money then just spend the $ and get the 35...

the $ is urs.. and so is the choice

I'm looking to do portraits with bokeh background which my kit lens cant. it actually trouble me, is 35 1.8 a good alternative ?

1. Do you feel your 50mm is not wide enough? If so, maybe consider a Tamron 17-55 f/2.8?
2. Do you need the extra tele reach?

extra reach atm not needed

thanks for the advice. will try out the lens soon

I'm looking to do portraits with bokeh background which my kit lens cant. i

You mean blurred background, right? No such thing as "bokeh background". ;)

thanks in advance

1 - does your photography encompass shooting from table while dining most of the time?

17-50 (not 17-55) f/2.8 is a good suggestion from rashkae. relatively economical too.

2 - ultrazoom lenses are not the best performers in the box. if you can live with all of the shortcomings of an ultrazoom lens, sure, why not.

a 150-500 will be much bulkier and heavier than any other lens you have talked about here.

I'm looking to do portraits with bokeh background which my kit lens cant. it actually trouble me, is 35 1.8 a good alternative ?

a good alternative is something that can substitute the lens.

how a 35mm prime lens is a good alternative for a 50mm prime lens is beyond me, for alternatives to 50mm f/1.8 are things like sigma 50mm f/1.4, 50mm f/1.4, etc....

let's just say that the dof of 35mm f/1.8 will not be the same as 50mm f/1.8

are you doing like portraits at the dining table all the time? i don't think you should spend on something you just want to solve the issue of being too tight when using the 50mm indoors..

plus if you get 35 1.8, the background will not blur as much as a 50mm, ceteris paribus..

so then it defeats the purpose.. might as well just stick to ur 18mm-105.... then use the appropriate focal length to compose the shot.. using a prime across the dining table means kinda having fixed view.. unless you are going to lean back alot of lean forward alot...

are you doing like portraits at the dining table all the time? i don't think you should spend on something you just want to solve the issue of being too tight when using the 50mm indoors..

i really think no one will be telling him to change to 35mm because of the reason given.

if he said "the 50mm perspective seems a bit too tight for my tastes", fair enough.

i dread the thought of ts going ahead to change, 3 months later we see a thread asking if he should change from 35mm to 50mm again, because now he is unable to fill the frame since he has started going to places with bigger dining table........

i really think no one will be telling him to change to 35mm because of the reason given.

if he said "the 50mm perspective seems a bit too tight for my tastes", fair enough.

i dread the thought of ts going ahead to change, 3 months later we see a thread asking if he should change from 35mm to 50mm again, because now he is unable to fill the frame since he has started going to places with bigger dining table........

hahah.. ya, especially those chinese restaurant with big round tables..

ya, i dunno why he want oso.. hmmmm....

hey guys thanks for the advice will be holding back on the 50mm.

Status
Not open for further replies.