Need advice ,f2.8 or f4 ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Old Boy

Dec 16, 2007
IMH
I am looking at photographing sculptures and art.The closest equivalent lighting situation would be that of Sistine Chapel in Italy and in terms of reach ( roof ). Is Canon 70-200L IS USM a good choice ? If so, which would be a better option, f2.8 or f4 ?
For those who own f2.8 ,can advise if the lens too heavy to lug around for travel ? Advice is greatly appreciated.Done a search and can't find any photos of Sistine with photo info.

I've been to the Sistine Chapel and it can be quite dark there... so the faster the lens... the better... and lug a tripod along too. Even St. Peter's Basilica is pretty dark... so grab your fast lenses and tripod. A f4 lens would not be sufficient if taking pictures hand-held. I wished I had the gear I have now when I went to the Vatican City, but well... maybe I'll go back there another day... :D

Enjoy your trip! I love Italy!

I've been to the Sistine Chapel and it can be quite dark there... so the faster the lens... the better... and lug a tripod along too. Even St. Peter's Basilica is pretty dark... so grab your fast lenses and tripod. A f4 lens would not be sufficient if taking pictures hand-held. I wished I had the gear I have now when I went to the Vatican City, but well... maybe I'll go back there another day... :D

Thank you very much for your advice. Is f2.8 still too small ? Do you think aperture of lower than this is needed eg f1.4 ? But then have to compromise on range. :)

Thank you very much for your advice. Is f2.8 still too small ? Do you think aperture of lower than this is needed eg f1.4 ? But then have to compromise on range. :)
For still life photography, recommend to use a tripod. To get sharper quality, you should be using small aperture like f8 or smaller. So use a tripod and slow exposure for better shots.

Is it allowed to use tripod there?

Is it allowed to use tripod there?

The last time I went there I had to check in my tripod to their deposit counter before I was allowed in. And we were told that photography is not allowed inside the Sistine Chapel. But it is still possible to snatch a few photos when the guards are not watching, but definitely no flash. In fact in most museum or art galleries, flash is not allowed to protect the artworks.

I would personally find that f/2.8 is still too small... and a f/1.8 would be better for this case. Most of Vatican City is lighted enough to take pictures without a fast lens, but it is in places like the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica that it becomes too dark. Yes, you would compromise the range, and that is where the tripod comes in. You can set up the tripod to take some shots... but the only problem you'll face is the crowd. Not sure when you are going, but I was there last June and there were just so many people! In a lot of these historical places, they do not allow flash photography, so a fast lens + tripod set up would be important.

The last time I went there I had to check in my tripod to their deposit counter before I was allowed in. And we were told that photography is not allowed inside the Sistine Chapel. But it is still possible to snatch a few photos when the guards are not watching, but definitely no flash. In fact in most museum or art galleries, flash is not allowed to protect the artworks.

Yep... photography is not allowed in the Sistine Chapel... but saw many people sneaking shots :D I went on my trip armed with a IXUS 55... needless to say... I gave up trying to take pictures in dimly lit places... hehe...

Looks like to sneak a quick shot... this would be a job for a D3???

Yep... photography is not allowed in the Sistine Chapel... but saw many people sneaking shots :D I went on my trip armed with a IXUS 55... needless to say... I gave up trying to take pictures in dimly lit places... hehe...

Looks like to sneak a quick shot... this would be a job for a D3???

I also never bother to take any picture inside the Sistine Chapel. Instead I bought a photo book/guide of the Vatican City at the gift shop. Maybe I was using film at that time, and I know I'll be wasting a lot of film given the poor phototaking condition:bsmilie:

Ahhh.... the Sistine chapel.... walked for miles in the Vatican City before finally arriving there. Anyway, photography is not allowed in the chapel so tripods and flash is deifnatley a no no. I only had my p&s at that time so I set the timer on and left it on the floor.

I think 70mm (or anything above) might not be a good idea as the you might not be able to take the whole 'painting'. I would go for 50mm or less.

Anyway... when you finish the Sistine Chapel, you would likely go to St. Peter's Basilica... and you can take pictures there... and there are lots of statues and other paintings there. Of course you won't see the body of St. Peter, but there is an enclosure with the body of a dead saint that you can see :what: *spooky*

The bottom line is, if u're not under very low lighting then f/4 will suffice, else get a tripod intead. By the way f/2.8 and f/4 is just a stop more so it wouldn't help a lot too.

Thanks for all the replies. I think f2.8 is too small too. Fortunately come here to seek advice, else may be disappointed. Looks like I have to get prime lens. :D

Thanks for all the replies. I think f2.8 is too small too. Fortunately come here to seek advice, else may be disappointed. Looks like I have to get prime lens. :D

For primes, u may want to consider 50 or 85 f/1.2, 35 or 24 f/1.4, or tele ones such as 300 f/4 or 400 f/5.6

300?? 400?? I think that may be a bit too long for indoor usage, especially when on tour.

It depends what u want to frame inside. Those tele lenses can be great for getting some tele portraits and capture some candid moments. If not, u can try the 200mm f/2.8L II.

Status
Not open for further replies.