need advice 5D or 1Ds

Status
Not open for further replies.

lkkang

Jan 6, 2007
Punggol 21
I am going to upgrade my system at about $3K+.
I am stucked at EOS5D (12 MP) or EOS1Ds (11MP).

Both are FullFrame.
5D will be a grey set, while 1Ds is a used set.
1Ds is slightly heavier, but I still can manage.
1Ds seems to be better waterproof then 5D.

Need advice on the picture quality. As seen on "dpreview", seems like all 1D "series" camera specifies that 12bit/color output and ADC is 12bits. I cannot find this specification in 5D specification anywhere, can anyone advice, which camera is producing better picture quality in terms of color?

Does it mean that 1D "series" cameras ( although having lesser MegaPix count ) is still having better picture quality? I am printing the shots to about A3 size , hence quality and color is one of my key considerations.

Now that MKII and MKIII is out, the price of EOS1Ds has dropped alot, a used set at ebay is costing at about US$2.5K ( buy now price ). Should I be investing on a used professional camera or a newer technology camera. Anyone used 1Ds before , appriciated if can provide me with some advice...

Is there any "minus" points on 1Ds that I should know before getting one?
I am currently tend towards getting the 1Ds. Anyone has a different suggestion or opinion ? :sweat:

I understand that it is not right to compare 2 different camera bodies. However, I really need some bros out there to provide me some 1Ds info.. thanks a lot.

the 5D comes with clean useable (in my opinion) ISO 1600, and ISO3200, while the 1Ds mk1 tops it out at 1250.

and all Canon DSLRs comes with 12bit RAW data, while the 1D MkIII comes with 14bit.

5D + grip anyday, everyday. =)

1D or 1Ds... both are very nice body, the only problem is they suck battery like there's no tomorrow... i.e. you shall need to carry 3 batteries or more for a day's work.

thanks Stratix and oeyvind for the advice, appricated.

Yes, being able to shoot at high ISO is definately a plus to 5D. noted with thanks.:thumbsup:

As to battery life, I have heard other wise, ( heard only )... that the battery life for 1D series is very very long lasting...can charge one time and use for many many days ???... Or I might be totally wrong... I need to get back on this. thanks for the info...

Only the Mk 2 version of the 1 D series are equipped with better battery life. I have used both the 1ds and the 5d. Noise, battery life and speed aside, I personally prefer the image quality of the 1Ds as it still gives me a closer to film like output.

thanks Stratix and oeyvind for the advice, appricated.

As to battery life, I have heard other wise, ( heard only )... that the battery life for 1D series is very very long lasting...can charge one time and use for many many days ???... Or I might be totally wrong... I need to get back on this. thanks for the info...

I guess you must have mistaken for the MK II and MK III series... ^^

In terms of image quality, the 5D 'wins' hands down.

1Ds is from an earlier generation (digic I...etc) so the performance of the electronics wise would not be onthe same level as the 5D. Example, the review time lag for the 1Ds is anywhere from 3 seconds to 20 seconds( if you shoot in rapid succession).

Since both thiese dslr are costing about the same theses days, the reasons to choose the 1Ds over the 5D would be:
1) Weather Sealing is critical
2) 100% viewfinder coverage is critical
3) Robustness of operation (although any 1Ds you get these days would have been heavily used and this does not seem like such a good point)

Most ppl might say superior AF performance, but I think spec wise, the 5D is better because it can AF at -0.5EV whereas the 1Ds will fail to accquire AF lock at 0 EV. Unless you really need 45 points AF.

The battery life of the 1Ds cannot be compared to the new generaltion Digic II , with a full charge, you only can get 280 to 350 shots - depending on the shooting conditions.

Which ever one you choose, good luck and enjoy photogy. Let me put it this way, with either bodies, you can't go THAT wrong :)

DT :)

In terms of image quality, the 5D 'wins' hands down.

1Ds is from an earlier generation (digic I...etc) so the performance of the electronics wise would not be onthe same level as the 5D. Example, the review time lag for the 1Ds is anywhere from 3 seconds to 20 seconds( if you shoot in rapid succession).

Since both thiese dslr are costing about the same theses days, the reasons to choose the 1Ds over the 5D would be:
1) Weather Sealing is critical
2) 100% viewfinder coverage is critical
3) Robustness of operation (although any 1Ds you get these days would have been heavily used and this does not seem like such a good point)

Most ppl might say superior AF performance, but I think spec wise, the 5D is better because it can AF at -0.5EV whereas the 1Ds will fail to accquire AF lock at 0 EV. Unless you really need 45 points AF.

The battery life of the 1Ds cannot be compared to the new generaltion Digic II , with a full charge, you only can get 280 to 350 shots - depending on the shooting conditions.

Which ever one you choose, good luck and enjoy photogy. Let me put it this way, with either bodies, you can't go THAT wrong :)

DT :)

thankyou sir, noted with many thanks... :thumbsup:

Only the Mk 2 version of the 1 D series are equipped with better battery life. I have used both the 1ds and the 5d. Noise, battery life and speed aside, I personally prefer the image quality of the 1Ds as it still gives me a closer to film like output.

thanks Oracle0711, thats exactly what I heard from some shop keeper also. 1D series is truely design for professional photographers , 5D is for more serious amerture. I believe that there is a slight difference in picture quality between them ,IMHO... I hope I have not offened anyone.

hi there. i tried the 1Ds mark 1. is a good camera but then i will pick the 5D because it is much more user friendly and can go up to iso 3200.

changing settings on a 1Ds Mark 1 can be quite a hassle at first, as compared to a 5D which is much simpler.

Hi, I'm not sure if my recent experience in choosing bodies would be of any help. My dilemma was between the 5D and the 1D Mark III.

At the end of the day, the easiest way to choose, is NOT by focusing on the merits of each body, but by focusing on your needs.

For instance:

* Will you be FORCED to take pictures under heavy rain, like photojournalists often have to? (If no, then you don't need weather sealing)

* What do you shoot? (studio, outdoor events, etc) Will you be heavily penalized in monetary terms for missing shots that the 45point AF would have covered? (If no, then you don't need 45pt AF)

The comment about 1Ds images being "film like" is very, very subjective to say the least.

So you have to be realistic about what you need versus what you want. Of course, at the end of the day, if the "lure" of holding a 1-series body supercedes every other consideration, then all power to you. Grab the 1Ds and be happy ;)

P.S. I chose the 5D, based on my practical needs. Love to have the 1D Mark III, but that's a want, not a need.

Cheers!

hi there. i tried the 1Ds mark 1. is a good camera but then i will pick the 5D because it is much more user friendly and can go up to iso 3200.

changing settings on a 1Ds Mark 1 can be quite a hassle at first, as compared to a 5D which is much simpler.

thanks for the info, high iso is really a nice thing to have ...especially when you are into events, sports etc... :thumbsup:

thanks for the info, high iso is really a nice thing to have ...especially when you are into events, sports etc... :thumbsup:

ermm.. you mentioned sports.. then you may consider whether 5D's 3 fps can meet your needs... you may want to consider 1DM3 :lovegrin:

1d3 manual page 30 at 23dC approx 2200 possible shots with live view approx 350 possible shots under CIPA.

YMMV

Hi, I'm not sure if my recent experience in choosing bodies would be of any help. My dilemma was between the 5D and the 1D Mark III.

At the end of the day, the easiest way to choose, is NOT by focusing on the merits of each body, but by focusing on your needs.

For instance:

* Will you be FORCED to take pictures under heavy rain, like photojournalists often have to? (If no, then you don't need weather sealing)

* What do you shoot? (studio, outdoor events, etc) Will you be heavily penalized in monetary terms for missing shots that the 45point AF would have covered? (If no, then you don't need 45pt AF)

The comment about 1Ds images being "film like" is very, very subjective to say the least.

So you have to be realistic about what you need versus what you want. Of course, at the end of the day, if the "lure" of holding a 1-series body supercedes every other consideration, then all power to you. Grab the 1Ds and be happy ;)

P.S. I chose the 5D, based on my practical needs. Love to have the 1D Mark III, but that's a want, not a need.

Cheers!

Wah... very well analysed.. I am impressed by your logical thinking.:thumbsup:

1ds!!! :cool:

One time i was shooting for hotel client... had to be out at sea...on a boat shooting water-skiers. I was glad i had a 1Ds with L lenses...cos lots of sea-spray.

But 1Ds LCD display is useless. I only use it to check for overexposure. 5D is fine if u know u will only shoot events/weddings or similar stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.