Need advice 18-200mm lens or new compact?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gp1

Apr 29, 2006
Here is my situation. I am not a camera buff. But I like to take pictures on trips with the family. Presently, I have a Nikon D40 with kit lens and a Fuji compact F30. Was toying with the idea of getting the 18-200VR lens. But after reading so much in clubsnap, I am thinking is is a good idea to buy either the LX3 or even the Dlux 4 instead. What do you think. Appreciate your valuable advice? Thanks:)

Since u have a D40 why not get the nikor 18-200 vr.. i have the lens and infact i am using D40 previously and they are a very good match for some very superb quality photos

There are some fundamental differences between the DSLR and a point and shoot.

Having understand and deliberated the differences, there is no wrong in deciding what you want is actually a point and shoot vs spending abit more on an 18-200mm lens. Individual needs vary, and you probably get a mixed opinion. In the end you will still have to evaluate your basic needs during travels.

Ryan

since u already have the body, the 18-200 is a better option IMO.
The lens is really quite versatile and image quality pretty decent for such superzoom :)

Thanks guys for the valuable input. Looks like the 18-200mm lens is the way to go.

Get the 18-200mm, you will not be disappointed. I used mine during a holiday trip, very satisfied with the results.

This is my opinion.

18-200mm is good lens to let u know what range u mostly use.

Last edited:
I've went on several tours using 18-200 VR. It's a optimum choice for me becuase it has the zoom range, VR function and AF-S function, all in one lens.

Yesyes...i have the 18-200. Its an incredible lens and provides soo much versatility that its other shortfalls can easily be overlooked.
The photos produced are really decent and not as bad as some reviews out there. =)

Many thanks for the advice bros. Will now hunt for the best price for the lens. Looks like $990 is the best at the moment. Any other lead?
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.