need a zoom lens for event photography.

jrhellboy

Mar 2, 2011
hello all, I've been shooting available light photography for the past year and a half, hence all I have in my collection are prime lenses. Just recently, I've been tasked to cover a few events but all the lens changing is quite frustrating and unprofessional, especially during crucial moments. thus I want to ask those more experienced shooters out there which would be a better choice for me, nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 or 24-70mm f2.8, in terms of coverage and long term usage. I use a d7000. I understand that the lens used is based on the type events but to those more experienced ones who have both, generally which focal length is more useful?

hello all, I've been shooting available light photography for the past year and a half, hence all I have in my collection are prime lenses. Just recently, I've been tasked to cover a few events but all the lens changing is quite frustrating and unprofessional, especially during crucial moments. thus I want to ask those more experienced shooters out there which would be a better choice for me, nikkor 17-55mm f2.8 or 24-70mm f2.8, in terms of coverage and long term usage. I use a d7000. I understand that the lens used is based on the type events but to those more experienced ones who have both, generally which focal length is more useful?

hi jrhellboy,
Both is fantastic lens, for events I prefer nikkor 24-70mm F2.8G. 24-70 to DX become 36-105, the distance is just perfect for event. 17-55 sometimes you will feel is too wide and can't zoom more closer when the object is far from you. 24-70 could be everything lens. . .

If u dun feel the need at F/2.8, nikon 24-120mm F/4 might give u more flexibility.

I'm an advocate of 17-55 on DX and 24-70 on FX. Though just putting this in here... 16-85 is the DX equiv of 24-120 on FX. just has a variable aperture

considering how i lean towards available light photography, i'll prefer to have the f2.8. hmm, so probably i'll get the 24-70mm.

jrhellboy said:
considering how i lean towards available light photography, i'll prefer to have the f2.8. hmm, so probably i'll get the 24-70mm.

Does the thin DOF give you problem when u use F/2.8 shooting with available light? Just asking for ur opinion.

haha. i think i'll still require the longer end more then the wider end. and no, 2.8 isn't very thin. haha.