Need a sounding board - Micro 4/3 switch

snapperBB

Sep 26, 2005
Upper Changi Road
Hi all,
I'm thinking of selling my spare DSLR -40D to get a a micro system. At the moment, I have narrowed down to a few - Sony Nex7, Lumix G1X and Fuji X1 Pro (hope I got the models right). I need a portable system for my work (education) and leisure. A good video output will be important for my work.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!;)

Hi all,
I'm thinking of selling my spare DSLR -40D to get a a micro system. At the moment, I have narrowed down to a few - Sony Nex7, Lumix G1X and Fuji X1 Pro (hope I got the models right). I need a portable system for my work (education) and leisure. A good video output will be important for my work.

Any advice will be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!;)

Do note that the NEX and the Fuji x1 Pro are NOT micro 4/3.

mirrorless does not equal micro 4/3...

Rashkae said:
Do note that the NEX and the Fuji x1 Pro are NOT micro 4/3.

mirrorless does not equal micro 4/3...

I hope to replace my d7000 with the x-pro 1. Superior performance in a much smaller body :)

All are priced very differently. Do you have a budget?
NEX7 and XPro1 are MILC but not m4/3 cameras.
If you have the budget, then the OM-D is likely the better choice over the GX1 for m4/3. But its not out yet, and better to wait for reviews :D

If you want small, high performing primes now, only m4/3 has them (ie. GX1 on your list). (12/2; 14/2.5; 20/1.7; 25/1.4; 45/1.8; 45/2.8; quite a few zooms)
Xpro1 will supposedly come with the launch of 3 fast primes (have to wait and see how camera and lenses really perform)
NEX7, lenses are not than small except for a 16/2.8 and 30/3.5; Fast lenses only 25/1.4 and 50/1.8

There is also the Samsung NX11, NX200 and Pentax K01 both using APS-C sensor. Both have a range of small fast primes, esp. for the Pentax which is compatible to existing DSLR lenses.

I have a G3 (m4/3); no regrets getting one. A fine balance between portability and performance.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments. I'm most likely gunning for GX1 and I'm now also reading about Oly EP3.

I have rather big hands and so the camera can't be too small.:). GX1 seems to fit nicely enough, then again I may be wrong.

I have a look at the Nex7 briefly, and as one of you said, the lens is big. Portability is utmost in my priority. As for budget, I'm looking at the region of $1200-1500 and I'm not sure where it will take me.

Cheers!

Before buying, what i did is be the first at opening of suntech road show where most cameras are under one roof to check
and play with the cameras in my lineup and then read reviews. Then decide what I need to buy according to my budget and
requirements. If not sure, go to the road show again and make up my mind. I will not buy the camera from the roadshow but
I will get it from any dealers outisde for a better price. That is my homework to avoid frustrations later after buying the product.

Thank you all for your comments. I'm most likely gunning for GX1 and I'm now also reading about Oly EP3.

I have rather big hands and so the camera can't be too small.:). GX1 seems to fit nicely enough, then again I may be wrong.

I have a look at the Nex7 briefly, and as one of you said, the lens is big. Portability is utmost in my priority. As for budget, I'm looking at the region of $1200-1500 and I'm not sure where it will take me.

Cheers!

That will get you a GX1 with 14-42 PZ X. If size is a concern you can get the GF3 instead for even cheaper. The 14-42 PZ is a pretty nifty lens, and the whole arrangement is jacket-pocketable when switched off. Later on you can invest in the holy trinity of 14mm, 20mm and 45mm fast primes.

Cheers!

Since you are looking at both the GX-1 and EP-3, then this 3 parts write up comparing the 2 will be rather useful:
Panasonic GX1 vs Olympus E-P3

ISO wise, the GX-1 is better, out of camera Jpegs, the EP-3 is very good.
I usually takes 100s of pictures on my walkabouts, and will not have time to pp them, hence the EP-3 is the camera for me.

I am using an EPL-3 right now, the lite version of the EP-3, with equivalent performance, but smaller and cheaper, and have a add-on handgrip.
With a pancake lense mounted, it is really small, which is what i like about the M4/3 system. However, as you mentioned, you have big hands.

My advise for you if you have already choosen the M4/3 system is: look for a lenses first, then the camera. Those m4/3 lenses retain their value well, especially if you have choosen the holy trinity of M4/3 lenses. There are actually 2 sets of Holy trinity lenses for m4/3 right now, one set for the budget conscious, and the other for the richer. This is where the M4/3 has a edge over other mirrorless system right now. Mature system with many good lenses selections.

In his blog, Tyson Robichaud described 2 sets of Holy Trinity lenses for M4/3, for set for the budget conscious, and another set for the money is no issue.
It’s not the size of the boat, it’s the motion in the ocean.

Holy trinity for budget conscious:
Panasonic 14mm f/2.5
Panasonic 20mm f/1.7
Olympus 45mm f/1.8

Holy trinity for the money is no issue:
Olympus 12mm f/2.0
Panaleica 25mm f/1.4
Panaleica 45mm f/2.8 OIS Macro

Last edited:
Since you are looking at both the GX-1 and EP-3, then this 3 parts write up comparing the 2 will be rather useful:
Panasonic GX1 vs Olympus E-P3

ISO wise, the GX-1 is better, out of camera Jpegs, the EP-3 is very good.
I usually takes 100s of pictures on my walkabouts, and will not have time to pp them, hence the EP-3 is the camera for me.

I am using an EPL-3 right now, the lite version of the EP-3, with equivalent performance, but smaller and cheaper, and have a add-on handgrip.
With a pancake lense mounted, it is really small, which is what i like about the M4/3 system. However, as you mentioned, you have big hands.

My advise for you if you have already choosen the M4/3 system is: look for a lenses first, then the camera. Those m4/3 lenses retain their value well, especially if you have choosen the holy trinity of M4/3 lenses. There are actually 2 sets of Holy trinity lenses for m4/3 right now, one set for the budget conscious, and the other for the richer. This is where the M4/3 has a edge over other mirrorless system right now. Mature system with many good lenses selections.

In his blog, Tyson Robichaud described 2 sets of Holy Trinity lenses for M4/3, for set for the budget conscious, and another set for the money is no issue.
It’s not the size of the boat, it’s the motion in the ocean.

Holy trinity for budget conscious:
Panasonic 14mm f/2.5
Panasonic 20mm f/1.7
Olympus 45mm f/1.8

Holy trinity for the money is no issue:
Olympus 12mm f/2.0
Panaleica 25mm f/1.4
Panaleica 45mm f/2.8 OIS Macro

Pardon my ignorance...The M4/3 lenses can be use interchangeably with all brands of M4/3 cameras? Thanks for all the great advice. Time is on my side, I have no hurries as yet.

Pardon my ignorance...The M4/3 lenses can be use interchangeably with all brands of M4/3 cameras? Thanks for all the great advice. Time is on my side, I have no hurries as yet.

Yes. All M4/3 lenses can be use on any M4/3 bodies. You can also use other lenses if you have adaptors for them.

There are 2 brands for m4/3. Panasonic and Olympus. You can mix and match both brands of camera and lens with full functionality. Among mirrorless, m4/3 is the most mature with many good lens.

Another point to note if IS is a factor to you. Olympus use IBIS so all olympus lens are without IS. For panasonic, none of camera body has IBIS and not all lens have IS.

To add on, panny lens doesn't work on oly bodies as well, with clicking noises commonly reported

To add on, panny lens doesn't work on oly bodies as well, with clicking noises commonly reported

This is not true. Most of the pancakes lenses from Panasonic works superbly on Olympus bodies.

This is not true. Most of the pancakes lenses from Panasonic works superbly on Olympus bodies.
Update on Panasonic Leica DG Summilux Clicking Noise on Olympus Pen Bodies - Micro Four Thirds User Forum
E-P3 + 25mm f1.4 - how annoying is the clicking sound?: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Problem with Panasonic 25mm f/1.4 (m4/3) and Olympus Cameras [Page 3]: Micro Four Thirds Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

A lot more links if one bothers to google. Batch dependent? Who knows. That people are complaining about this issue means it's something potential buyers should be aware of.

Like i said, most of the pancakes lenses from Panasonic works superbly on Olympus bodies. You may want to correct your sweeping statement when you said "panny lens doesn't work on oly bodies as well", as this is misleading.

Like i said, most of the pancakes lenses from Panasonic works superbly on Olympus bodies. You may want to correct your sweeping statement when you said "panny lens doesn't work on oly bodies as well", as this is misleading.
panny 14mm f2.5 clicking on oly:
E-PM1 clicking noise in video with 14mm - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

panny 20mm f1.7 clicking on oly:
Oympus E-PL1 and 20/1.7 - YouTube

25mm clicking:
Video of Panasonic-Leica 25mm rattlesnake - Micro Four Thirds User Forum

for many people, these 3 primes have issues with oly bodies. Don't know about the 45mm f2.8. Maybe for you, you don't have an issue, all the better. That still doesn't mean the problem does not exist at all. It's not at all a sweeping statement nor is it misleading.

Hi all,

Going around with my EP3 and 20 1.7 is such a joy compared to lugging my Canons and Nikons around. I think m4/3 is the most versatile system as the range of bodies and lenses is great. Why restrict yourself to just one brand? Also the 4/3 sensor size is well optimized, smallish bodies and smallish lenses. What is the point of having a small body but huge lenses (NEX)? And what is the point of having a tiny sensor but huge body and interchangeable lenses?

There are 2 brands for m4/3. Panasonic and Olympus. You can mix and match both brands of camera and lens with full functionality. Among mirrorless, m4/3 is the most mature with many good lens.

From wikipedia:
"As of Feb 2010[SUP][update][/SUP], Olympus, Panasonic, Cosina (Voigtlander), Carl Zeiss AG, Jos. Schneider Optische Werke GmbH, Komamura Corporation and Sigma Corporation have a commitment to the Micro Four Thirds system."
"On January 26th, 2012, Tokina and Tamron have indicated they would be designing lenses for the Micro 4/3 system.[SUP]"[/SUP]

This problem may be restricted to certain lenses, so far all my Panny lenses work perfectly on my EP3. Maybe I'm lucky.

Last edited:
An drew said:
This problem may be restricted to certain lenses, so far all my Panny lenses work perfectly on my EP3. Maybe I'm lucky.

This problem seems to occur only when the camera is automatically adjusting the aperture. So I don't think it occurs in A or M modes, maybe just in P or S.

I hope to replace my d7000 with the x-pro 1. Superior performance in a much smaller body :)

At a much much higher price too! X-pro-1 body RRP can almost buy a D700 brand new.