need a recommendation for camera bag

Status
Not open for further replies.

reny

Jan 18, 2002
Visit site
i'm thinking of getting a camera bag for a friend as gift.

1. a backpack (for a girl, cos slings are too heavy for her)
2. enough for one body (nikon F100 with vertical grip) with 28-70 lens, flash, and small accessories like batteries, films, blower etc.
3. not too big cos big=heavy.
4. good paddings to protect camera.

i don't know many brands. so far has looked at lowerpro and micro trekker 100 looks ok, except that it may be a bit difficult to take camera in and out on the road.

linx 320 also looks ok, but dunno if F100 will look too bulky in it and the bag looks filmsy.

TIA.

The Lowepro Off-trail beltpack is also quite good. It goes around the waist, thereby taking the load off the shoulders.

regards
Andrew

Originally posted by kh_drew
The Lowepro Off-trail beltpack is also quite good. It goes around the waist, thereby taking the load off the shoulders.

regards
Andrew

thanks, but friend does not like beltpacks. she had one before. hanging a F100 around the waist is not exactly comfortable for her, who is rather thin.

if money is not an issue,

go to CP and get the latest crumpler backpacks.

SUPER stylish. VERY VERY well padded, u can DROP the entire bag from chest level and im very sure ur stuff will still be OK.

Has space for both camera + other stuffs.

But quite exp.

Originally posted by sprockett
if money is not an issue,

go to CP and get the latest crumpler backpacks.

SUPER stylish. VERY VERY well padded, u can DROP the entire bag from chest level and im very sure ur stuff will still be OK.

Has space for both camera + other stuffs.

But quite exp.

thanks. whether money is an issue or not will depend on my letter these few days informing me on my increment for this year :p

however, i can't find any backpacks of crumpler from the internet... all i can find are sling bags. any direct url you can show me? are they new models?

hi man, these are VERY VERY new.. i dun think crumpler even update their website yet..

I'd say at least 100++ bucks for it...

but of ALL camera bags, i'd have to say crumpler's are most stylish and offer VERY VERY VERY good protection.

Just touching thing u can feel they are very high quality..

now on my 2nd crumpler liao.

A lot of companies nowadays cutting down on costs and using cheaper materials, whilst relying on their brand name to maintain expensive prices.

Crumpler is really still top quailty material.

I myself would get the larger back pack, so i can puy my CAM + school books all in one go... but too bad i got no $$ now....

The Micro Trekker 100 or even the Mini Trekker may be too shallow for a F100 with Grip.

Can bring your stuff to cathay photo and try it out physically.

Very few bags can take this combo.

You may like to consider a Rover Light, but that would be too huge for a thin girl.

BTW why do you need to bring the Vertical grip? The F100 has a pretty good grip already. If without the grip, then try Micro Trekker 100.

I would go for the Lowepro Mini Trekker. I could load it with a 16mm, 17-35mm, 24-85mm, 50mm, 80-200mm, F80+MB16, filters, batts, charger and films. It even has a compartment on the outside for a tripod.

Cost about $125 brand new.

Originally posted by jasonpgc
The Micro Trekker 100 or even the Mini Trekker may be too shallow for a F100 with Grip.

Can bring your stuff to cathay photo and try it out physically.

Very few bags can take this combo.

You may like to consider a Rover Light, but that would be too huge for a thin girl.

BTW why do you need to bring the Vertical grip? The F100 has a pretty good grip already. If without the grip, then try Micro Trekker 100.

Yeah the Rover Light is anything but light. :D

Micro Trekker should be ok for a small size person (too small for me). For the F100 with grip, you can consider removing them and storaging them separately if it is too big to fit the F100 w/grip and lens.

I tend to keep my camera in my bag, un-mounted. and only mount the lens and insert batteries when I intend to shoot.

The Micro Trekker 100, 200 and Mini Trekkers have Sliplock capabilities, so you can purchase pouches (different sizes available) to extend the carrying capbilities of the bag.

you can attach a S&F Pouch 30 (or larger), to store the grip or Flashlight and spare batteries. Thereby leaving more space in the bag for lenses and camera body.

I would attach a Bottle Bag too, to hold a water bottle during the shoots. :D

Unless it's a surprise gift, it is recommended to bring the gear down to CP to try out the bags, if not, get the dimensions of the camera and grip.

Originally posted by majere2sg
What type of water bottle bag can be bought to be attached to the micro trekker 200 ?
Its a specially made one by Lowepro, with a velcro strap thing which u can hang on to the side of your micro or mini trekker. Big enuff for a 500ml mineral water bottle. Costs abt 10 bucks at CP. Using one now on my mini trekker.

;)

Originally posted by majere2sg
What type of water bottle bag can be bought to be attached to the micro trekker 200 ?

The "Street And Field Bottle Bag" can be bought at CP, it can hold a standard sports water bottle (those squeeze bottle kinds you see being sold at Sports shop) or any 500ml mineral water bottle.

Originally posted by Winston
Yeah the Rover Light is anything but light. :D

Micro Trekker should be ok for a small size person (too small for me). For the F100 with grip, you can consider removing them and storaging them separately if it is too big to fit the F100 w/grip and lens.

Unless it's a surprise gift, it is recommended to bring the gear down to CP to try out the bags, if not, get the dimensions of the camera and grip.

hmm... actually, most of the time, she's not using the grip. so can consider bags which can hold it without grip also.

haven't considered whether it'll be a surprise gift or not, but there should be no problem borrowing a F100 from CP to test fitness. i've done that before. and the lens is rather standard, ie. no long lens.

so i should check out crumpler's new bags, mini/micro trekker, rover light is out cos it's not light (heh). any other brands which may have bags that fit my need? i may drop by CP this week, but want to do homework at home first :bsmilie:

If you want light and trendy, check out the lowepro linx series. These bags have soft padding, thus lighter and body hugging.

hi there,

it is really sweet and considerate of you to want to buy a girl her camera bag. just a few tips if you dun mind :

1. pls bear in mind that guys think about 'practicality' but girls tend to think about how good the bag will look on her :) besides its functionality.

2. Lowepro bags are practical bags....rather common
3. Crumpler bags are fashion bags...but the sound of the velcro can frighten away the butterflies (make sure you choose the colour that she likes!!!! not what you like!!!!)
4. Domke bags are like classic Levis...it is an acquired taste

Good luck!

:thumbsup:

if you want NOT so BIG & NOT so SMALL bag , I would recommend you the Lowepro Micro Trekker 200 ...

Seriously, take a look at the crumpler photo bags, I'd believe that gals will like them better instead of a backpack which may be more inconvenient to use and less stylish. Crumplers have pretty wide shoulder pads which are rather comfortable to use.

Originally posted by swimcraze
1. pls bear in mind that guys think about 'practicality' but girls tend to think about how good the bag will look on her :) besides its functionality.

3. Crumpler bags are fashion bags...but the sound of the velcro can frighten away the butterflies (make sure you choose the colour that she likes!!!! not what you like!!!!)

:thumbsup:

Crumplers! :)

True. Have to check the size of the backpack cos it may be too big for her (depending on her size).

and....colour sure is important! heeheehee. there are so many colours i wouldn't buy ;p

Not so sure about the crumpler sling photo bags for girls (though i have one) 'cos i thought it's more suited for guys...not so awkward in front. ;p

If it doesn't have to be a surprise gift....i think it would be better if she can look and feel and choose for herself. unless you know exactly what she likes. 'cos a camera bag.....is THE bag to put her camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.