Need a recommendation for a at least 200mm lens

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheels

Nov 17, 2002
LONG KAO
photo.rogerdeng.com
Hi all,

Pardon my poor knowledge of long lenses.
I am interested to get a longer lens ... preferrably AF 200mm and above for my D70. Was wondering what is a good recommendation to start with.

Budget less then $400. Brand new. :)

Thanks.

Astin said:
http://www.nikon.com.sg/PRODUCT/AFLENSES.htm

You can try this website from Nikon Singapore, they list down all the current lenses and their listed prices. The actual purchase price should be about 15-20% lower than the listed price.

Thanks for the reply.

Looks like my budget only allows the AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G. But I think with this lens at F4.5, I need some decent light in order to have a decent shot?

Is there other alternative brands that I could use?

Sorry for my questions.... :)

wheels said:
Thanks for the reply.

Looks like my budget only allows the AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6G. But I think with this lens at F4.5, I need some decent light in order to have a decent shot?

But with your budget of $400.. its not possible to find a new lens with large aperture and longer focal length of 200mm.. The sigma 70-200mm F2.8 cost over $1.2k new with warranty.

wheels said:
Thanks for the reply.

the 28-200G is a pretty good walkabout lens, depending on where you go, it may cost you slightly more than $400...
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/nikkor/af/28-200g/28-200g-1.html

i've heard reports that the 70-300 is usable up to about 240 (check dpreview.com)

wheels said:
Thanks for the reply.

If there is no decent light, you can increase the ISO setting on your D70. High ISO photos may not be as bad as you think. ;)

Sigma Macro APO II 70-300....
Takes good and sharp picture on bright day...set aperture to F8 and above.
got mine at 2nd hand ard 200+..good buy!

rainman said:

Thanks for the info. You got any pictures untreated where I can take a look? :)

Astin said:
If there is no decent light, you can increase the ISO setting on your D70. High ISO photos may not be as bad as you think. ;)

hmmm ... I going to use this lens more for sports and nature. I would'nt mind high ISO and grains once in a while but would prefer something more flexible though. Maybe I should increase my budget a little bit ...... :confused:

And me a typical Singaporean .... like cheap,green and near roadside(translate in hokkien) ... :D

Second that on the sigma 70-300 APO Macro Super II. With a Nikon 70-300, i can't get the results i wanted even at f8, luckily got the chance to try that with someone else's glass first.

dementate said:
the 28-200G is a pretty good walkabout lens, depending on where you go, it may cost you slightly more than $400...
http://www.nikonians.org/html/resources/nikon_articles/nikkor/af/28-200g/28-200g-1.html

i've heard reports that the 70-300 is usable up to about 240 (check dpreview.com)

Thanks. :thumbsup: I am indeed considering this lens and awaiting equotes for this lens. But at the same time, trying to find another make with such range and quality at a cheaper price .... :D

28-200/300 zooms are good if you need the convenience, shoot in good light (coz you'd need to shoot at f8 and above, confirm), and don't print at > 8R. Actually 8R already pushing it even at > f8. :think:

rainman said:

Yep, yep, Sigma 70-300APO is about the best lens in this price range. I have tested it against my Nk300 F4ED - hardly any difference when you're at F8 and above in HigH contrast situations and at more than 5m away.

It is another story if you need to shoot in wide open aperture, in low contrast, like under an overcast sky, in the cover of a big trees, like shooting birds. And if you wish to try some TC some day, the Sigma would be atrocious. BTW, TCs are never recommended for zoom, except maybe those top-rated few like the 80-200 F2.8.

For relatively low light situation that requires wide aperture shooting, you might want to try Nikon AF 70-210mm f/4. Should be around $400 used (discountinued in 1988). Has received very good reviews. Focusing is a bit slow though.

However, it's quite rare in Singapore. Seems that nobody's willing to let it go unless they are getting one of those expensive f/2.8 lenses in similar zoom range.

Not sure if there's any TC that can work on this lens.

I second the Sigma 70-300 II. For your budget, that's probably the best you can get.

Status
Not open for further replies.