need a new tripod

Duinchlfc

Aug 29, 2006
Sengkang
Hi there guys,my cheapo sub $50 tripod died on me during my bali trip and now i finally will get a decent proper tripod.I need some advice or recommendations.I use a 550D sometimes for photography and mainly for my product unboxings and personal video blogs.So what can do you guys have in mind.Thank you and please give me the price if you know so i can budget.

Hmm usually the case is the TS give us a budget and we give the recommendation and not the other way round. How much are you willing to spend?

Hmm usually the case is the TS give us a budget and we give the recommendation and not the other way round. How much are you willing to spend?

$250ish will be my budget

Then you are well within the 100 other "recommend me a tripod" threads in terms of budget. Have you done a search and read up already?

Duinchlfc said:

For that budget maybe you can look at Sirui tripods. Just head down to TK to have a look. Recent reviews for Giottos tripods are pretty good too

Then you are well within the 100 other "recommend me a tripod" threads in terms of budget. Have you done a search and read up already?

I have done some read up but the sheer amount of different types of tripods and heads are confusing me,thats why i came here for advice.

Suggest you look at Sirui.

What are you confused about?

Well the different types of tripods,materials,head types,weight limits etc...is there a good write up i can read up on?

This is a very famous article on the topic. He talks about the famous brands, so you may want to avoid that and consider the cheaper China-made Sirui/Fotopod/Benro's instead. But it's a fantastic introduction into materials, head types, weight limits, and so on.

http://bythom.com/support.htm

Hi there guys,my cheapo sub $50 tripod died on me during my bali trip and now i finally will get a decent proper tripod.I need some advice or recommendations.I use a 550D sometimes for photography and mainly for my product unboxings and personal video blogs.So what can do you guys have in mind.Thank you and please give me the price if you know so i can budget.

Try ARTWORKFOTO

http://fotopro.sg/c5_series.html

velbon...use 3 cameras on it still does well :)

I use a Berlebach for the sea, Sirui for other things. :) Not bad la, for the $.

mmm wooden tripod..

yea.. putting my existing in tripod in the sea wasn't a good idea. lol..

which model are you using?

Where can I find the pricelist of Sirui tripods? Can't find in TK Photo FB page.

A.T. said:
Where can I find the pricelist of Sirui tripods? Can't find in TK Photo FB page.

They have a website too... But I think they removed their price list recently.. Not sure if they've put it up again.

They have a website too... But I think they removed their price list recently.. Not sure if they've put it up again.

Search there too. Can't find. Wish that all merchants put up price list on their websites.

Search there too. Can't find. Wish that all merchants put up price list on their websites.

You can go down to TK and look at the tripods. They won't pester you when you check out the tripods, that's what I like about TK

do take into consideration what focal length are you usually shooting at. at telephoto, generally aluminium may not be good, for it "rings". so you might want a carbon fiber (much lighter)or wood (heavy), but better in vibration dampening from the shutter/other minute sources of vibration. mirror lock-up and a remote will help too, but may be inconvenient at times.

if source of shake like wind / waves are strong, generally the heavier the tripod, the better (stable). you may find that a cheaper sturdy aluminium tripod can withstand wind or wave better than a featherweight carbon fiber. i was astonished to find my 1.7kg (head included) light aluminium tripod lifting off the sand in knee-deep waters in singapore

think about:

weight
center-column / multi-position center-column
no. of leg sections (i am lazy, so i prefer 3 sections (2 clips/twist-locks). take note sirui tripods are at least 4 sections (3 twist-locks)
height (first assume center column down for your optimal working height)
ego? (gitzo for u? :bsmilie:)

Last edited: