Need a camera recommendation!

Ashlee

Sep 13, 2007
Hi there, I am a mom to 3 kiddos, I like to capture the kids most important moments on my camera but I have most difficulties taking acceptable still shots say in concert performances and on stages where the place is too dark, the camera is too slow.

Other personal moments with the kids taking shots with the iphone or my IXUS 860 is fine.

I have been considering the SLR for years but I know they will be only reserved for the once in a year concert performances and etc.. and I would really not like to luge a huge camera around, considering my bag without a camera is already about 3kgs!

Please recommend me a fabulous point and shoot. I don't mind a bulky one but one can take preferrably good night shots and shot in dark places. Distances are secondary because I can always move closer.

What's the best choices out there available for me?

A friend recommended the Panasonic LX 5. Good enuff?

if the place is too dark.. no camera can help except with flash..

Panasonic LX5 is good.. have a look at canon S95 and Olympus XZ-1 too..
slightly bulky will be Canon G12 with swivel screen..

during concert.. up the ISO if it help..

For p&s it is canon s95, panasonic Lumix lx-5, Olympus xz-1, Nikon p300.

Slightly bigger p&s canon g12 & Nikon p7100.

You should also consider the mirrorless cameras, they are getting as small as the cameras above.

Hi there, I am a mom to 3 kiddos, I like to capture the kids most important moments on my camera but I have most difficulties taking acceptable still shots say in concert performances and on stages where the place is too dark, the camera is too slow.

Other personal moments with the kids taking shots with the iphone or my IXUS 860 is fine.

I have been considering the SLR for years but I know they will be only reserved for the once in a year concert performances and etc.. and I would really not like to luge a huge camera around, considering my bag without a camera is already about 3kgs!

Please recommend me a fabulous point and shoot. I don't mind a bulky one but one can take preferrably good night shots and shot in dark places. Distances are secondary because I can always move closer.

What's the best choices out there available for me?

A friend recommended the Panasonic LX 5. Good enuff?

Although the newer generation of compact cameras are indeed better, they may still not be up to the requirements you have set out.
To me, it sounds like you're asking for a lot, especially when you've ruled out DSLRs due to the size.
depending on how dark you define 'dark places' to be, even a DSLR might not give you a satisfactory result :)

Ooo that's a lot of recommendations, I am not good with cameras thus the relectance to venture into the SLR world also I am do not think I will use it that often to justify the cost of getting a SLR.

I will go check out the recommendations of the few members here. :)

Ashlee said:
Ooo that's a lot of recommendations, I am not good with cameras thus the relectance to venture into the SLR world also I am do not think I will use it that often to justify the cost of getting a SLR.

I will go check out the recommendations of the few members here. :)

That's fair enough.
However, I just want to caution you against having the impression that buying a "better" camera will immediately make a huge improvement in the outcome of your photos. Some knowledge still goes a long way :) There are still a number of situations where even having a high-end DSLR would not necessarily give you acceptable results :)

Besides the above mentioned point and shoot cameras, you can consider the Micro 4/3 cameras from Olympus (their Pen series) or Panasonic's Gf or GH series of cameras. Even look into Sony's NEX series. If you're not too familiar with these models or the technology, just consider them as lightweight, inter-changeable lens cameras that are not as complex to use as DSLRs nor that simple like the P&S.

Plus, they do a pretty decent job at low lights.

P.S: No matter what camera you chose, what ZerocoolAstra said above about learning the essentials still holds true :)

Check out with the price from the shop which you want go and look for.(Brand and price).How much are you willing to spend on the camera to take pictures for your 3 kiddo.

S95 - Canon with a F2.0 wide open aperture. Is has a decent picture up to ISO 400 for prints. ISO 800 is good for viewing. But personally i don't like the skin tone colour and F4.9 at the long tele zoom end is less than idea. But this is a great camera to put in your bag or pocket.

XZ-1 - Great colours and great F1.8-2.5! If i didn't already have the S90... i would have gotten this little baby when i don't feel like lugging my DSLR around... its just a little bigger in terms of size. It also has a external flash option. in case you really need to use a better flash.

So ... size or performance? :) Both are great cameras.

That's fair enough.
However, I just want to caution you against having the impression that buying a "better" camera will immediately make a huge improvement in the outcome of your photos. Some knowledge still goes a long way :) There are still a number of situations where even having a high-end DSLR would not necessarily give you acceptable results :)

Very good suggestion! But the camera still needs to be acceptable for skills to apply! I'm sure a lousy camera can take good shot even with fabulous skills!

Check out with the price from the shop which you want go and look for.(Brand and price).How much are you willing to spend on the camera to take pictures for your 3 kiddo.

About $600- $1k doable? Kiddie memories are impt esp during a concert. I will want to capture at least a few decent ones!

About $600- $1k doable? Kiddie memories are impt esp during a concert. I will want to capture at least a few decent ones!

You could get a Sony A290 and a Minolta 70-210 f/4 for just under 1k.

You could get a Sony A290 and a Minolta 70-210 f/4 for just under 1k.

actually... TS, you could just get the A33 for under 1000 with the kit lens... and borrow the lens from Rashkae >.<

he does rather cheap lens rentals for the Alpha shooters... i think