Necessary OR Must to provide Invoice to bill the use of photo

kopohui

Dec 23, 2009
Singapore, Singapore
www.bolasepako.com
Hello to all,

A foreign publication emailed me to enquire the use of an image I posted on my blog for their upcoming printed edition and offered their rate upfront in the email.

In the follow up, they requested me to provide an invoice (as they said would be great if I can provide one, although they sounded not necessary though).

Being a random blogger with no business entity registered, I would like to be advised how should I come up with an invoice (in what format)?

Also how necessary is an invoice in such transaction?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Hello to all,

A foreign publication emailed me to enquire the use of an image I posted on my blog for their upcoming printed edition and offered their rate upfront in the email.

In the follow up, they requested me to provide an invoice (as they said would be great if I can provide one, although they sounded not necessary though).

Being a random blogger with no business entity registered, I would like to be advised how should I come up with an invoice (in what format)?

Also how necessary is an invoice in such transaction?

Thanks for any help and advice.

Companies need invoices for accounting purposes. For format, just go online and google "invoice sample".

Companies need invoices for accounting purposes. For format, just go online and google "invoice sample".

Go sign up Wave Apps, send this company an invoice.

Thanks for the replies ....

more like photography business practice than photography technique talk.

thread moved.

Noted, be mindful of that in future, thanks

Just to add on further, before I mail them the invoice, should I confirm the following details like:

● Mode of Payment (seems like they intend to send me a cheque in their currency when they asked for my address)
● Indicate my preferred mode of payment (Thought of asking if they can pay me via Paypal for faster transaction)
● Necessary to set a Due Date for them to meet the payment.

Being new to these stuff, thanks again for any help.

Just to add on further, before I mail them the invoice, should I confirm the following details like:

● Mode of Payment (seems like they intend to send me a cheque in their currency when they asked for my address)
● Indicate my preferred mode of payment (Thought of asking if they can pay me via Paypal for faster transaction)

bank in a foreign currency cheque will incur extra cost on your side, if it a petty amount than can forget about it.
Making PayPal payment will have additional cost for them, unless you want bare the charge.

Curious, did they give you the terms of the licensing agreement?

bank in a foreign currency cheque will incur extra cost on your side, if it a petty amount than can forget about it.
Making PayPal payment will have additional cost for them, unless you want bare the charge.
Thanks for the reply but under such circumstance, it would be whose call to determine the mode of payment?

Curious, did they give you the terms of the licensing agreement?

Actually no and these are what they promised.

"You remain the copyright owner and we will be only using the photo on a one-use basis.

The payment is for one use of the photo in our November edition."

Thanks for the reply but under such circumstance, it would be whose call to determine the mode of payment?

Actually no and these are what they promised.

"You remain the copyright owner and we will be only using the photo on a one-use basis.

The payment is for one use of the photo in our November edition."

You can request for the mode of payment. Just ask for paypal first, see what happens.

Please list all the stuff they said in the invoice on black and white.

they can also transfer the payment directly to your bank account.

You need to invoice, of course.

Foreign publications, especially the US ones, are used to dealing with US photographers, which by default the copyright goes to the content creator, so they are usually purchase first rights, or single usage rights, sometimes with a short period embargo of a month or two, depending on their publication frequency. The American photographers are passionate about protecting their rights. When the publicatoin approached you, they didn't know amateur photographers here in Asia are often clueless about copyrights nor cared much about them. (just look at how often people threw away their copyrights during local photo contests)

Mode of payment wise; they will follow their company's payment procedures, which is usually bank wire, will often require you to fill in a form with your bank details. You often need to find out your bank code and stuff. They usually will bear the bank fees, but for currency conversion fees charged by our local banks it is quite unlikely, for it had passed their responsibilities.

If you try to suggest anything that deviate from their payment procedure norm; it will usually result in late payment and confusion as they wait to get approval from whoever. The larger the company, the slower even.

So my advice is to stick to what they proposed.

A good publication may even send you a tearsheet or a whole copy of the magazine issue.

do note for foreign telegraphic transfer of funds into bank account there is likely a fee of $25 upwards sgd for each end (sending and receiving ) .

you may be better off asking for PayPal
also, usually when people offer to pay
that means you get to decide on the mode of payment

to receive a cheque in a foreign currency you may need to have a foreign currency bank account too. speak with your bank about how to receive such cheques and if they can clear such cheques

Thanks for all the replies and I already sent an invoice that detailed what were agreed beforehand and at the meantime, check on the payment mode, which I awaiting for their reply.